This thread is privately moderated by flyinjrc74, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 11, 2010, 11:32 AM
Fabrication Extraordinaire!
Thread OP
Gallery

Another Excellent Flying Ultralight.

Modified from a GWS Slow Stick kit and extra wing to lengthen the wingspan to 61-1/2". Flies very nice and has no bad habits. I am running a 1120 KV R/C Timer outrunner swinging a 10X7 propeller.

Flies really true to scale and the GWS wing provides plenty of lift. I flew it in the prototype stages with the stock GWS wing fitted with ailerons. It flew fine but the wing looked funny being so short. I have added pics of it in flight with the clipped wing and no cowling or kingpost!

Cowling is from a Seagull Dual Ace twin engine airplane. I lost it about a week ago while flying the twin. I ordered a new one and before it arrived I found the old one and it adds to the overall looks of this aircraft!

The kingpost is functional and all wires are tied into the landing gear to help support the added weight of the frame while in flight, also controls wingtip flutter at higher speeds.

GWS Slow Stick kits can be modified and retrofitted for about anything you dream up. I have two more ordered and plane to make a hot-rod Speed Stick by joining two wings together to make a fully symmetrical airfoil that will hold up to high speed and 3D flight.

If you are looking to buy a Slow Stick, Caliber Hobbies carries them as well as spare parts. Hop up parts can be purchased from Millennium R/C. Hope you enjoy the pics and happy flying!

Specs:
61-1/2" wingspan
47" length
16" at top of the kingpost
2-1/2 pounds RTF weight with 3S 2200mah lipo battery.
Last edited by flyinjrc74; Oct 11, 2010 at 11:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2010, 07:47 PM
Looks great - I am working on one too, about the same wingspan. having a little trouble with the framing. But the wing set is doneName: Wingset2.jpg
Views: 168
Size: 53.4 KB
Description:
Oct 13, 2010, 06:15 PM
Thread OP
Very awesome. Looks like a Quicksilver and painted like one too... My brother owned a real one and his was painted up like yours. Are you duplicating the frame and what size tubing are you using for it? What will power it and will it be a pusher. I want to make one like a Quicksilver but I can see where the framing would be somewhat complicated to duplicate and still remain strong.

Is the wing you have pictured a GWS Slow Stick wing and what was used to color it?

I love ultralights and have flown a full size Weedhopper that my brother owned and it was a bit scary as they do not fly like a Cessna or Piper. Lots of drag, little speed and one hell of a sink rate with the power off! I weighed 260 lbs at the time and the airplane was rated for 220 lbs MAX. The seat on a weedhopper is behind the center of gravity so when it had enough airspeed to take off I did not have to pull back, I was holding the stick forward the whole flight. When it got out of ground effect I would say the rate of climb was only around 200 feet per minute. Very dangerous but I wanted to fly it badly! Looking back now I think I would pass up the chance, but then again I love to fly.... Please PM me with a link when you have pics or if you have more questions feel free to post them here as well.

Keep up the good work!
Oct 13, 2010, 07:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by blimppilot
Looks great - I am working on one too, about the same wingspan. having a little trouble with the framing. But the wing set is doneAttachment 3532228
Posted something about this wing and tails!
Oct 14, 2010, 09:02 PM
Yes, iy started out as a red slowstik wing. Extended on each end and low I have installed wing ends (flat) as while loohing at the Quicksilver website thy listed it as an option to reduce spillage off the ends. I found some diagrams of the Quicksilver and blew them up to give me the proper scale + 5% for the tail surfaces. We have a large barn and field a mile or so away that is a storage and repair facility for ultralights and they let me take all the pictures I wanted. I caught this one flying and you can see the resembilence to my wings - OK I got a little carried away on the tail. It will have the motpr on the back if the wing - that makes the framing a little tougher and I am experimenting with carbon tubing and a mix of shafts from arrows - narrowest I can find.
Oct 14, 2010, 09:19 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Yes, iy started out as a red slowstik wing. Extended on each end and low I have installed wing ends (flat) as while loohing at the Quicksilver website thy listed it as an option to reduce spillage off the ends. I found some diagrams of the Quicksilver and blew them up to give me the proper scale + 5% for the tail surfaces. We have a large barn and field a mile or so away that is a storage and repair facility for ultralights and they let me take all the pictures I wanted. I caught this one flying and you can see the resembilence to my wings - OK I got a little carried away on the tail. It will have the motpr on the back if the wing - that makes the framing a little tougher and I am experimenting with carbon tubing and a mix of shafts from arrows - narrowest I can find.
That is the exact color scheme of the one my brother owned. His had the optional pod around the nose however. Please post a pic when your r/c one is complete. Hobby King is putting out a Quicksilver GT200 and the pics my brother sent last night looked like they used Carbon Fiber for the frame. I am not sure how or where he obtained the pics??? If you go that route it would not take much to shoot the frame silver and one coat of clearcoat to keep it looking good. The picture above does really show the frame and how tricky it is to duplicate on a smaller scale and yet keep it strong! Keep in touch...
Oct 15, 2010, 07:11 AM
Hobby King had a blog about their ultralight several months ago. It should have been out in June - I have not seen or heard anything since then. At least it is now in the banner ad on the website.Looks like it will make a great addition to my Dome flyers -our club gets to use the Metrodome for indoor flying 6-9 times each winter. Our best record was having 16 Slowstik's up at ounce. Having Curteck lights really helped me - 2nd to last one down.

This just in:
Originally posted by CrashinDutchman

Just above the scroller there is an image for a Quicksilver ultralight that is not click-able, I think that is a mistake since previous images shown at that place were click-able.

Hopefully that means it's soon to be stocked (finally!).

(https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/f...TID=11895&PN=1)
Last edited by blimppilot; Oct 15, 2010 at 07:29 AM. Reason: additional info
Oct 16, 2010, 09:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Hobby King had a blog about their ultralight several months ago. It should have been out in June - I have not seen or heard anything since then. At least it is now in the banner ad on the website.Looks like it will make a great addition to my Dome flyers -our club gets to use the Metrodome for indoor flying 6-9 times each winter. Our best record was having 16 Slowstik's up at ounce. Having Curteck lights really helped me - 2nd to last one down.

This just in:
Originally posted by CrashinDutchman

Just above the scroller there is an image for a Quicksilver ultralight that is not click-able, I think that is a mistake since previous images shown at that place were click-able.

Hopefully that means it's soon to be stocked (finally!).

(https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/f...TID=11895&PN=1)
For the price I may pick one up just to see how they engineered it? Don't forget to get back to me with pics of yours. I would like to see it completed!
Oct 18, 2010, 06:52 PM
Thread OP

Back to the bench!

After about 12 flights I am puzzled as I was attempting a hammerhead stall while trying to recover and pull out the elevator control was lost. I was pulling back on the stick but it still would not pull out before it met terra firma! The damage even though looks bad, really is not. I need to replace two tubes, one for the motor and one for the tail. When it impacted it was flying about 15 degrees nose-down and level flying at around 25 mph... No electronics were damaged and all was in operation after post crash analysis. It will fly again!

Another thing I noticed is if this were a full scale ultralight, I think the pilot would have walked away with minimal injuries because of the way the airframe crumpled and folded the way that it did. For now the cause of the crash is still under investigation and I will carefully go thru it and look for a possible crash determination!

R/C Ultralight in Niles ///Flyin'J (1 min 3 sec)

Ultralight crashes after hammerhead stall! Niles,MI (0 min 32 sec)
Last edited by flyinjrc74; Oct 18, 2010 at 08:08 PM.
Oct 24, 2010, 01:42 AM
Thread OP

Crash Cause!

The crash was caused due to a loose control horn on the elevator. I was able to move the servo to the full "up" position and push down on the elevator and noticed the control horn pivoting through the foam stabilizer. I will now be going through my fleet of Slow Sticks and also this ultralight to add epoxy to the area in between where the control horn goes through the foam to prevent this from happening in the future. If you own a GWS Slow Stick, CHECK YOUR CONTROL HORNS!

The ultralight is almost back together and ready again for flight.

If you watch the video again of the crash, when I was landing just prior the airplane was a little sluggish on the elevator on final. You can see it nose-up a couple of times but at the time everything seemed ok and when I was on the ground rolling you can see the elevator in the full up position. Once it was back in the air with the speed and position coming out of the hammerhead there was too much wind force for the elevator to lift the nose. The rest is history but it will be back in the air this week!
Nov 09, 2010, 08:19 AM
Framing - I have decided to go with carbon rod for most of the framing - I have not decided if I will put thin aluminum tube over the rod to get the correct look. I was concerned about getting a solid connection for the rods but while fixing some wiring on my dads fishing boat with some terminal ends I noticed that the yellow spade ones have about the same diameter opening as the rod. I will use a section of the square GWS rod for under the wing and tail as this will allow me to bolt most of the framing together - this should make the inevitable damage easy to fix/replace. Servos will be up under the main wing, battery under the pilots seat to hopefully get the COG at the right point. Since I have added almost a foot to the wingspan I plan to start with the BL motor that millenniumrc sells for the slow stick. and yes, it will be a pusher simular the the way Hobby King is making this little 24 inch wingspan version that should go on sale next week

I hope to have some time after this weekend clearing the last of the leaves - who's bright idea was it to plant over 100 trees on my 1 acre plot. I also had a few trees go down in the big winds we had a few weeks ago. I had to wait for the farmer to finish harvesting before I could drive across his field - now I need to get done before he turns the soil.

Update - HK ultralight is now for sale on the HK website
Last edited by blimppilot; Nov 30, 2010 at 06:37 PM. Reason: update
Dec 04, 2010, 12:54 AM
Thread OP

Ultralight is fixed and ready to go.

I spent about an hour and a half putting the Ultralight back together after the late summer mishap. I used the square carbon tube for the main beam from motor to tail. I also changed the Eflite S75 servo to a Hitec HS65 HB servo on the elevator, also added Gorilla glue to the control horn. No more crashes or folding like an accordion after impacting the ground as a result elevator issues.

I see why no one likes the aluminum boomed GWS Slow Sticks now. I left everything that was aluminum on my ultralight the way it was, The aluminum piece behind the windshield was bent and simply bent back into shape. The damage was minimal and it will be in the air over Niles again soon! Pics coming soon of it back in working order...
Dec 05, 2010, 07:24 PM
Glad to hear it will fly again. After I looked at the damage in your pictures - I opted for carbon too.
Mar 22, 2011, 01:25 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Glad to hear it will fly again. After I looked at the damage in your pictures - I opted for carbon too.
I finally got it back in the air today. Here are the pictures of it and a video. Have you finished yours yet??? If so post some pictures here.

Video link:

Flying my R/C Ultralight! (1 min 33 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KWA69KACfo
Last edited by flyinjrc74; Mar 22, 2011 at 01:32 AM.

Quick Reply