Oct 11, 2010, 07:27 AM
Crafter of flying plugs
Thread OP
Build Log

1/8th Scale PSS Douglas F3D-2 Skyknight

Only 48 weeks until Manilla Slope Fest 2011. Time to get started on another PSS build to avoid the 4 week dash to finish that my first PSS build brought me this year.

My first attempt at a PSS build was a Yokosuka Model 22 Ohka. Wing span ended up at 2M and way over weight at 34oz/sq ft.

Using what I learnt on that build I have decided on an 1/8th scale F3D Skyknight. 1/8 scale gives a fuse length of 1.73m and wing span of 1.93M.

I expect the wings to be expanded to about 2.5M depending on how heavy the fuse ends up. I won't be doing the wings until the fuse is finished so I dont build them too small like I did with the Ohka.

So my intended maximum weight is 6.5Kg. 2 Kg budget for the wings and 4.5Kg for the fuse. I very confident that I can bring the wings in under 2 Kg even at 2.7m total span. So what ever I can save on the wings I can put into the fuse if I have to.

Fuse construction will be a 20x12mm pine spine with 3mm ply bulkheads and filled with EPS foam. Sheeted with 1/32 pine veneer and covered with polyester and glass tissue. Ply bulkheads are to give me a guide to shape the foam rather than being structural and the pine veneer Im getting at the right price otherwise I would use balsa. EPS foam is the Expol underfloor insulation sold at bunnings. Weighs just about 1 lb per sq foot. Can get a usable block from each sheet thats almost a 1/4 of a sheet of blue foam.

Wings to be MH32 which is proving to be popular currently but at 10.5% and root chord of 15". Construction to be some sort of spar, foam, veneer and glass tissue etc.

Progress so far is that ply bulkheads have been cut but some need a little tweaking. Have placed bulkhead on the spine to get my first overall impression of an 1/8th scale Skyknight. That impression is that at 1/8 scale it's still pretty big. As big as I can transport anyway. Frame and foam for the fuse looking good to come in under 2kg.

Although its a long way off I like the scheme and finish of this model skyknight:

Which I presume based on this scheme:

So that's all for now...
Last edited by Owen Hedger; Dec 01, 2015 at 10:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2010, 07:30 AM
Just Toss It !!!
Owen.

You're scaring me!

Matin
feels a panic-attack coming on.....
Oct 11, 2010, 02:02 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
I like it !! , I'm just waiting for my head to re-attach itself to my neck and I'll be back in the workshop ,got a Hurricane to finish
SteveW
Oct 11, 2010, 02:15 PM
auto-tune remix
Cool subject. There's a lot of those '50's early-jet subjects that are under represented.
Oct 11, 2010, 03:30 PM
Embrace the suck
OooRah! I love it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno
There's a lot of those '50's early-jet subjects that are under represented.
Around here if you build anything other than a P-39 or P-51 they bring you up before the committee.

Nauga,
under wraps
Oct 11, 2010, 04:52 PM
Gravity sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauga
OooRah! I love it!
Around here if you build anything other than a P-39 or P-51 they bring you up before the committee.

Nauga,
under wraps
Then there must be a special chair at the table with your name on an engraved plaque, oh master of the wide bodies!

Mike
Oct 11, 2010, 04:55 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
They are not wide bodied they are just big boned
SteveW Its round I tells ya
Oct 11, 2010, 06:00 PM
Feeling lucky .... Punk
Nice choice !
Oct 11, 2010, 09:07 PM
I failed linkage geometry
Looking forward to this one Owen. Great subject choice.

Not surprised Nauga is liking it...

Can't wait to see this one flying alongside the OZSkunkworx Buckeye (if Shane ever extracts his digit).
Oct 11, 2010, 09:08 PM
watching with interest

shane
Oct 11, 2010, 10:25 PM
TEAM OZSKUNKWORX
Quote:
Originally Posted by salisbug
Looking forward to this one Owen. Great subject choice.

Not surprised Nauga is liking it...

Can't wait to see this one flying alongside the OZSkunkworx Buckeye (if Shane ever extracts his digit).
Yer Yer i got the plans done.

Watching with intrest Owen

Shane
Oct 11, 2010, 11:13 PM
Embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by salisbug
Can't wait to see this one flying alongside the OZSkunkworx Buckeye...
Now there's something I can get into - a flight of two with its own gravity.

Nauga,
who is willing to pull some fingers to get a Guppy fuse or two.
Oct 12, 2010, 02:32 AM
Crafter of flying plugs
Thread OP
Dont worry Matin, I have a bit to do before winter gets here, at least one other PSS build. We are already half way through spring :/ There isnt much good weather here after winter and before mid september that one can glass and paint in. We have a bunnings here now so this time around so getting building supplies that dont require me to give up a limb will be much eaiser.

slopemeno, I think it's a great candidate from that period. It's as mid-winged at it gets and I think should have a fairly even weight distribution. CG calculator has the CG alot further back than 30%. Can anybody tell me the merits of a calculator that takes into account the tale surfaces such as this one? http://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_calc.htm

salisbug, junkie, good to have you along. Buckeye would be a great companion. I cant help but think a Skyknight and Prowler would also make a good pair in a father and son sort of way. If your want to knock one of those out that would be good.

nauga, I had been directed to check out your threads in the past so im happy to have your approval

Gald your like it joel.

Steve, so far my wife has been tolerant of the more physical discipline of this hobby but Im pretty sure she knows this is all your fault Gald you like my choice. Second one seems like it will be eaiser than the first. This one will deserve panel lines and weathering so Im a bit miffed I missed the demo this year. Plenty of time to read threads here before im up to that though.

Still pondering dimensions over the frame, tail may get a 20mm trim. Its interesting how a matchbox model can be more accurate than any 3-view you can find, including the 3-view in the pilots handbook.

My mother is coming to stay the night tomorrow so it will be a few days before I get back to any building
Oct 12, 2010, 08:01 AM
Embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenthegreat
I cant help but think a Skyknight and Prowler would also make a good pair...
Y'all don't do 'easy', do you? The southern hemisphere chapter of the 'No fuse too fat' club checking in. Time to pack my bags and move south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenthegreat
Still pondering dimensions over the frame, tail may get a 20mm trim. Its interesting how a matchbox model can be more accurate than any 3-view you can find, including the 3-view in the pilots handbook.
I may have something a little more accurate, let me see what I can dig up. There's also one on a stick not far from me if you need detail photos.

Nauga,
with a tip of the hat to Russ Thompson
Oct 12, 2010, 08:21 AM
Embrace the suck
Check your PMs.

Nauga,
the librarian

Quick Reply