Jul 08, 2003, 06:25 PM
Thread OP

Tiger Moth Motor/Prop Options

I'm powering my TM IPS motor with an ETec 1200 LiPoly, without a heatsink, so I know it is not going to last very long. So, when it dies what do I replace it with? What are my options other than the obvious, another IPS? I wouldn't mind playing with something a bit more "spirited" although I do like how the TM flies now. I'll probably build another stock TM a bit later on anyway.

I am going to order a heat sink, but it may not get here soon enough to save the motor. And I am certainly not going to ground this bird in the mean time either!

Also what prop options have other tried, with the IPS and other motors. Has anyone used a wooden prop like a Top Flite 9x7? It sure would look good on the TM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2003, 08:59 PM
Go Giants!
You could try the dual IPS. Its literally two of the TM motors in one gear box! You can still use a GWS prop with it, too. Im not sure, but I think its a 9x6. Someone correct me if Im wrong!

Brian
Jul 08, 2003, 09:19 PM
I am using the 10x8 on my Tiger Moth with the stock IPS (with Heatsink). It gets hot, but boy does it climb well! I am powering mine with the surplus Qualcomm battery setup.
Jul 08, 2003, 09:33 PM
Dual IPS A is the way to go. You'll be pleasantly surprised with a 10X8 prop.
Jul 08, 2003, 10:24 PM
Dual IPS,1200 Etecs. Thats the ticket. I really cannot tell a big difference betreen the props and I tried them all. Its either flying slow or not as slow.
Jul 08, 2003, 11:35 PM
Silent Flight
dogsbd:

You might try a different IPS gear ratio for fun. How's about something in 3.x or 4.x?

I tried the 10x4.7 prop with stock gearing (5.9:1). "Lethargic" sums up that flight. It might be a good combo indoors, though!

daveWCO
Jul 09, 2003, 12:06 AM
Hooked On Flying!!!

IPS Dual

I have 2 Moths, 1 with stock IPS and 2nd with IPS Dual A motor. I power both with the etec 1200 2sp. I just ordered another dual ips for the first Moth. I fly at 7000 ft elevation so the extra thrust with the dual IPS and 10x8 prop works great for me. The plane climbs with authority and performs all capable manuvuers well. No comparison in performance to the stock setup. I also get 30-40 minutes of flight time with the etec1200's depending on throttle management. It will maintain level flight with just over half throttle for easy going flight and plenty of juice to rocknroll if desired. This setup is the only way to go for the Tiger Moth as far as I'm concerned. Try it you will like it!!! Anything more would be overkill for this plane!!
Jul 09, 2003, 12:33 AM
Hooked On Flying!!!
Also dont forget the heatsinks for the IPS dual. You will need 2 and just spray paint the orange props either brown or black. Looks much better!!!!!
Jul 09, 2003, 01:23 AM
The IPS Dual is available in several gear ratios. What gear ratio have you found to work the best for you, using the 10X8 prop?
Jul 09, 2003, 02:11 AM
Zoom, zoom...
daveWCO... I just tried the 10-4.7 prop on my stock TM using 1020 Kokam packs, flew beautifully. I was using the 9-7 prop before and was getting no where with it. Full throttle all the time. Now I can do 2/3 throttle all the time and cruise nicely around. Do you think altitude might be our difference? I am at 150 feet, how about you?
Jul 09, 2003, 03:27 AM
Fun is what matters!
HI all!!!!

I would like to know, what kind of speed controller do you all use in your TG? (i use a ics-100, with a stock 280 - EDP-100). Can i still use it with, with the Kikam or Etec packs?

And off topic question...sorry :-) Did any of you tried to change the Rudder and elevation original foam by balsa wood?

Have nice looong flights!!!
Paulo
Jul 09, 2003, 07:38 AM
Thread OP
Dual IPS sounds like the ticket, what mods would that require?

And I am totally ignorant on how gear ratios effect flight etc. Anyone want to expound?

Also, how is anyone going about flying with a 10x8 prop, I have only about a half inch ground clearance with my 9 inch prop now.
Jul 09, 2003, 09:09 AM
Live to fly!
Here's what you need:

dual IPS motor: 7.2V IPSD RXC- AS (http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/model...ductId=S031003)

10x8 GWS prop (use a Sharpie pen to paint it black except the tips)

5amp ESC, e.g. GWS ICS-100E (http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/model...ductId=S291982)

You can use either 7cell 600mah NiMH or Etec 1200 LiPos if you are ready for lithium-polys.

One thing you will need to do is cut out the motor mounting stick, and turn it 90 degrees to fit the new dual-IPS. It is very easy, and you will be glad you went with the dual IPS. It works great (and not only in the TM). Here's one of my two Moths - both dual-IPS powered:

Jul 09, 2003, 10:30 AM
Thread OP
Cut out the motor mount stick and rotate it? That sounds like a pain, how do I get the thrust angle set back correctly??
Jul 09, 2003, 02:42 PM
Do Not remove the motor stick. Trim the width of the motor stick to fit the new motor mount. Use a sanding block and go slow. Then glue a piece of wood to the bottom of the stick and trim to fit the vertical dimension of the motor mount so everything is nice and tight.

Quick Reply