Oct 09, 2010, 08:35 PM
Thread OP
Help!

How to Properly set up control surface angles/throws?

I have a Parkzone Corsair and am using a dx6i.

I'm trying to learn the proper way to setup the control travel.

How many degrees should each surface travel to?

What holes should I be using on the control horns and why?

Any education would be appreciated as I have done some searching and can't find the information I am looking for. Maybe there is a link to a good tutorial or something that you know about?

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2010, 08:46 PM

F4U Corsair RTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by feetfats
I have a Parkzone Corsair and am using a dx6i.

I'm trying to learn the proper way to setup the control travel.

How many degrees should each surface travel to?

What holes should I be using on the control horns and why?

Any education would be appreciated as I have done some searching and can't find the information I am looking for. Maybe there is a link to a good tutorial or something that you know about?

Thanks
One of our students at the flying field has Parkzone Corsair. He says he set it up according to the manual and it flies quite nice.

If you have lost your manual, here is an online copy: http://www.parkzone.com/ProdInfo/Fil...air-Manual.pdf
Oct 09, 2010, 09:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSH
One of our students at the flying field has Parkzone Corsair. He says he set it up according to the manual and it flies quite nice.

If you have lost your manual, here is an online copy: http://www.parkzone.com/ProdInfo/Fil...air-Manual.pdf
I've looked through that manual but it doesn't seem to get into what I am talking about.
Oct 09, 2010, 10:25 PM
old pilot
Hi feetfats

The control throw info is in the manual but you have to hunt through the fine print. Start with the pushrod clevis in the outermost hole in the control horns. This gives the minimum throw of the control surfaces which makes the plane easiest to handle when you are starting out.

Your DX6i computer radio is golden, and most guys suggest setting up two throw rates, full throw (with clevis in outermost hole to start) and about 70%. Do the first flights with the lower rate, and the Corsair is easy to keep up with.

Also program about 50% exponential on everything. Guys may debate this, but I think plenty of expo at the start is important for lessening the newbie twitchy overcontrol tendency in the middle of the stick movement. (Actually I use 75% expo on all my warplanes including the Corsair with full throw.)

As you acquire experience flying it and get used to how it responds, you can do full rates and then also gradually move the clevis closer in on the control horns every few flights. Do it according to your own learning curve, and soon you'll have your Corsair doing what it can do

Icky
Oct 10, 2010, 02:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarusmelt
Hi feetfats

The control throw info is in the manual but you have to hunt through the fine print. Start with the pushrod clevis in the outermost hole in the control horns. This gives the minimum throw of the control surfaces which makes the plane easiest to handle when you are starting out.

Your DX6i computer radio is golden, and most guys suggest setting up two throw rates, full throw (with clevis in outermost hole to start) and about 70%. Do the first flights with the lower rate, and the Corsair is easy to keep up with.

Also program about 50% exponential on everything. Guys may debate this, but I think plenty of expo at the start is important for lessening the newbie twitchy overcontrol tendency in the middle of the stick movement. (Actually I use 75% expo on all my warplanes including the Corsair with full throw.)

As you acquire experience flying it and get used to how it responds, you can do full rates and then also gradually move the clevis closer in on the control horns every few flights. Do it according to your own learning curve, and soon you'll have your Corsair doing what it can do

Icky
Is there a point where there is too much throw angle and it will affect the control of the plane negatively?
Oct 10, 2010, 08:38 PM
Fully Sending It
Yes, but that far exceeds what a stock Corsair is capable of.
Oct 10, 2010, 11:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
Yes, but that far exceeds what a stock Corsair is capable of.
What would the maximum be then?
Oct 10, 2010, 11:30 PM
old pilot
Yeah, not to worry. However you do the throws, the Corsair airframe will handle it. It may have quicker responses you have to keep up with, but it is still stable. There is no max throw, because if you do throws past max Corsair performance, the greater drag just slows it down.
Oct 11, 2010, 12:08 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
Try expo and see what you think. Personally I can't stand using any expo. I fly everything linear fast or slow, big or small. It's kind of like the old ford vs chevy debate though different people like different things.
Oct 11, 2010, 03:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarusmelt
Yeah, not to worry. However you do the throws, the Corsair airframe will handle it. It may have quicker responses you have to keep up with, but it is still stable. There is no max throw, because if you do throws past max Corsair performance, the greater drag just slows it down.
Is there some sort of magic angle where this starts to happen?
Oct 11, 2010, 08:50 AM
There is a point where many planes will snaproll out of a loop if you give them to much throw and will dig a deep hole. All planes are different in that respect. I put in a lot of throw, then do a very big loop, gradually making it tighter and tighter until it snaps out. Now I know the magic spot and either move out on the elev horn or use the servo end point to lessen the throw till it wont snap out. There are different methods but this is what I use.

Gord.
Oct 11, 2010, 01:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2
There is a point where many planes will snaproll out of a loop if you give them to much throw and will dig a deep hole. All planes are different in that respect. I put in a lot of throw, then do a very big loop, gradually making it tighter and tighter until it snaps out. Now I know the magic spot and either move out on the elev horn or use the servo end point to lessen the throw till it wont snap out. There are different methods but this is what I use.

Gord.
Thats interesting. I'll have to mess around with that.
Oct 11, 2010, 09:52 PM
old pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by feetfats
Is there some sort of magic angle where this starts to happen?
To the best of my knowledge nobody has ever accurately measured and reported the control surface angles on a particular plane where there is a significant performance change on our park size electrics (maybe experts have done it for their big pro planes).

Trying stuff yourself, like control surface throws, is part of the RC fun. Just set it up conservative at first and fly it a bunch, then gradually try more throw and see what you like.

Icky
Oct 11, 2010, 10:09 PM
old pilot
feetfats, just to clarify the situation:

Up elevator increases the angle of attack of the wing, and depending on the plane and the airspeed, enough up elevator will get the wing to stall. Tightening a loop, or trying a turn at lower speed can make the wing stall.

The PZ Corsair at slower speed will stall with full up elevator, but it usually just mushes down flat and straight ahead (inherent stability of the plane). Do the same thing with a PZ Spitfire, and when it stalls it drops and rolls over quick

Icky
Nov 21, 2016, 02:52 PM
I like the clevis in the furthest or second hole in on the control horns ...looks better to me ...100-120% throws is more than enough and compensate with the servo end in the furthest to 2nd hole in evens things out but the Manuel will state actual surface throw angles ...if it looks like there's enough throw I never measure the actual angle and I've always been happy with the way my planes fly

Quick Reply