Thread Tools
Jan 24, 2011, 06:51 PM
Detail Freak
target's Avatar
Steve-
Looks great, that looks like the right amount of wiper bend for 75* down and 10* up flaps.
You want to mount them at @ 55* angle to the hinge line, if possible. On the Cyril, I accomplished this by "flipping the servo over", so that the output shaft of the servo was inboard. You need to do that since you can't move the pocket location. That take just a hair longer shaft length at the shallower angle.

I hope to be down there on Sunday to see the Fosa.

R,
Target
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 24, 2011, 07:11 PM
R/C Soaring "Lifer."
stevecondon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlachow
All quiet and covered with snow here....


Not to rub it in, but 73 and sunny here today Hope the nice weather holds through this Sunday's Speed Cup. Mike - book a ticket and come fly with your teammates this weekend!! We'll provide the winches just send your Fosa out.

Poway forecast for Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 72.
Jan 24, 2011, 07:13 PM
R/C Soaring "Lifer."
stevecondon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by target
Steve-
Looks great, that looks like the right amount of wiper bend for 75* down and 10* up flaps.
You want to mount them at @ 55* angle to the hinge line, if possible. On the Cyril, I accomplished this by "flipping the servo over", so that the output shaft of the servo was inboard. You need to do that since you can't move the pocket location. That take just a hair longer shaft length at the shallower angle.

I hope to be down there on Sunday to see the Fosa.

R,
Target
Thanks Target! I will pay close attention to it. So far, it seems to fit pretty well in the dry fit.
Jan 24, 2011, 07:18 PM
Detail Freak
target's Avatar
Roger that, good luck!
Oh, one more tip:
To get the angles of the servo mounts the same on my (Daryl's) Cyril, I used clear plastic sheet, taped down to the wing, and drew lines on it with the servo frames, and the servo pocket, after I installed the first one, and it worked good.
Then, you just take it off, flip it over, and use it on the other wing half....
Sneaky, eh? "Builder/Flyer/Thinker/(And now, funnyman, as Phil Davey pointed out to me the other day).

G/L on the build.

R,
Target
Jan 24, 2011, 09:39 PM
registered user
Steve, vey very cool sailplane collection you have there. 3's a crowd though you better send that Fosa over to OZ.
Jan 25, 2011, 01:46 PM
R/C Soaring "Lifer."
stevecondon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineDSacro
Steve, vey very cool sailplane collection you have there. 3's a crowd though you better send that Fosa over to OZ.
Very funny. Actually, I sold the Ceres to help fund the Fosa so that was its last time in the limelight.
Jan 25, 2011, 11:49 PM
Fly, Fish or F#@%
gliding Oz's Avatar
Fosa is ready!
Just waiting on my 5cell Batt pack now.
1904 grams less Batt and nose weight.
MKS DS6125mini in the wing, DS6125H in the fuse and a AR9300 Rx.
The Fosa is super stiff and strong, Jiri has out done himself once again!!!!!
Can't wait to fly her
Cheers,
T
Jan 26, 2011, 12:43 AM
R/C Soaring "Lifer."
stevecondon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliding Oz
Fosa is ready!
Just waiting on my 5cell Batt pack now.
1904 grams less Batt and nose weight.
MKS DS6125mini in the wing, DS6125H in the fuse and a AR9300 Rx.
The Fosa is super stiff and strong, Jiri has out done himself once again!!!!!
Can't wait to fly her
Cheers,
T
Yeah Baby! Half the RDS is in...just waiting for the JB Weld to cure so I can Goop the right wing servos in and then she is DONE! Just need to balance and fly.

Thomas--Do you have notes from Jiri on recommended CG? Mike L said: "CG 117 from nose cone. Towhook 118.5 from nose cone. I use down elevator preset and my models will glide and not stall in launch mode."

That is where I plan to start. Are you going to bring Fosa with you to AZ? I am going to bring mine as a Windy J backup so I hope the wind blows!

Mark your calendar now for May 13-15 and plan to attend the Cal Valley F3B contest. You will have so much fun.
Jan 26, 2011, 04:48 AM
registered user
Love the tape see through covers... 1 very nice bit of sailplane .... And it's Red.
Jan 26, 2011, 10:01 AM
Fly, Fish or F#@%
gliding Oz's Avatar
Hey Steve,
Like you, I only have what Mike L has kindly given me and will use this as my start too.
I was going to bring my trusty "Double Carbon 95oz Aspire" but if I get some stick time I will bring the Fosa instead.
Can't wait to fly her
Cheers,
T


Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecondon
Yeah Baby! Half the RDS is in...just waiting for the JB Weld to cure so I can Goop the right wing servos in and then she is DONE! Just need to balance and fly.

Thomas--Do you have notes from Jiri on recommended CG? Mike L said: "CG 117 from nose cone. Towhook 118.5 from nose cone. I use down elevator preset and my models will glide and not stall in launch mode."

That is where I plan to start. Are you going to bring Fosa with you to AZ? I am going to bring mine as a Windy J backup so I hope the wind blows!

Mark your calendar now for May 13-15 and plan to attend the Cal Valley F3B contest. You will have so much fun.
Jan 26, 2011, 11:28 AM
or GPS, F, J, K, or even TD
FLY F3B's Avatar
Really sweet looking model Thomas. Nice job on the build too. Can't wait to see all the Fosas go.

Cheers.

Mike
Jan 27, 2011, 02:11 AM
R/C Soaring "Lifer."
stevecondon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B
Really sweet looking model Thomas. Nice job on the build too. Can't wait to see all the Fosas go.

Cheers.

Mike
You're gonna get to see mine go later today, brutha! It is a little after midnight and she is done. 73 oz. AUW with CG 117mm back from nosecone. Took only 1.4 ounces of nose weight. Got the programming pretty dialed-in so all it needs is a test glide and then the good stuff. MONO!

See you at the field around noonish or earlier. For our "working lunch"

Will see if we can remember to take some pictures and post later. Cannot wait to fly this model.
Jan 27, 2011, 08:35 AM
Detail Freak
target's Avatar
G/L on the maiden.
R,
Target
Jan 27, 2011, 06:18 PM
Not landing late ever again
threcixty's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecondon
Very funny. Actually, I sold the Ceres to help fund the Fosa so that was its last time in the limelight.
Maybe, maybe not! Man I gotta make it to CA this summer
Jan 28, 2011, 12:13 AM
R/C Soaring "Lifer."
stevecondon's Avatar

Maiden was a total success!


Went out for a "power lunch" today with limited time but managed to get two tows in on the Fosa after a perfect hand toss with no issues. After the first launch I made some minor adjustments in the programming and it flew fantastic. I didn't have time to really put it through its paces but plan to do so for many hours on Sunday.

Thanks again to Mike Lachowski for the install and set-up tips and to Mike Smith for lending his arm today to throw for me. As you can see by the pictures, it was not your "typical" winter day. 75 and sunny with nice thermals.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion U/k Open F3b + Electric F3b Trial cagjf3b Multi Task F3X 0 Sep 20, 2010 09:29 AM
Discussion Should I go with a Vampire F3B, Extreme F3B, or any other suggestions? thetechnorat Multi Task F3X 57 Sep 18, 2010 05:22 AM
Discussion baudis zoom wing bolts help! 3lad3 High Performance 3 Aug 15, 2010 05:51 AM
Wanted Right Wing for Baudis Ceres F3B Maki Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 2 Aug 03, 2010 08:44 PM
Sold Baudis Trinity F3B X-Tail PDX Slope Pilot Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 2 Apr 03, 2007 11:06 PM