Oct 05, 2010, 06:02 PM
Yippee!

Ivan Sealand 600

Hello everyone, just finished my Sealand 600. Final weight is 6lbs 12ozs which is just over 1 lb heavier then what Ivan advertizes. With my power setup I'm getting just over 550watts which should be enough, I hope...
A few changes to Ivan's Sealand plan was I built the wing in three pieces to help transport it. I have yet to take it out on it's maiden, it's been raining all day.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2010, 09:31 PM
1 Corinthians 3:10
Less than 50W/lb - very lightweight / low wing loading slow flyer.

50 to 80 W/lb - powered gliders, basic park flyers and trainers, classic biplanes and vintage ('Old Timer') type planes.

80 to 120 W/lb - general sport flying and basic/intermediate aerobatics. Many scale (eg warbirds) subjects suit this power band.

120 to 180W/lb - more serious aerobatics, pattern flying, 3D and scale EDF jets

180 to 200+W/lb - faster jets and anything that requires Arnie-amounts of muscle!

The AMA published an artical close to the aforementioned watts to LBS figures, I'll see if I can find it. Looks like you will be ok, maybe not a ball of fire but flyable.

NICE aircraft!
Oct 07, 2010, 09:53 PM
Frozen Flyer
nice work and nice paint job...lets see some pics once she is up in the air!
Oct 08, 2010, 07:24 PM
I hope to fly my Ivan Pettegrew Sealand 600 tomorrow. It was given to me by a close friend and it probably only has a few flights on it. It weighs in at 5lb 4 oz ready to fly. It has a pair of MPJET AC 25/35-20 motors swinging 11-7 props. I don't know the gear ratio of the gear boxes although they are MP JET. There are 2 JETI Advance 30-3p speed controls with a FMA Direct AVC 1 AIR low voltage cutoff. I'm using a 3s Lipo battery. I have flown this for the original owner a year or two ago and I remember it flew very well. I'm not sure of the flying time, as I only did a couple take offs and landings to test out the handling. I never thought I would some day own it!

I'm also starting to build Ivan's Short Solent 480, although I still don't know what motor and gear box to use since the 480's are hard to come by. If anyone has some input I would be really be happy to hear it. Hope to have it flyable next summer.

Seaplane
Oct 09, 2010, 03:25 PM
Andy, that's a beautiful Sealand you've built. As Moes said, you did an outstanding job on the livery. Looks like you also have removable landing gear?

I would not worry about your weight. My Solent came out quite a bit heavier than Ivan's and although I worried and fretted about it, it flew fine. Most people don't end up building as light as Ivan doe but there is a decent range of weight in which these models fly well. Also, we have all grown so used to heavy ARFs that even a pound overweight I imagine your Sealand is still lightweight relative to most other models of its size.

By the way, can you give any details about your power system? What motors, and batteries?

Please let us know how the maiden goes. As you know, we are keen to record each and every Ivan plane built, so once it has flown I would like to add you to the Hall of Fame and World Map.

Luke
Oct 09, 2010, 03:26 PM
Seaplane, where did your Sealand 600 originate from? Do you have any pictures?

Luke
Oct 09, 2010, 04:56 PM
Luke,
My friend bought the plans from Ivan and had someone out of state build it for him 3-5 years ago. He is now around 90 years old and doesn't fly anymore. I did fly it today although I only got one short flight in before it started to loose power quickly so I landed it with a pretty good size splash and then no power at all. I haven't gotten into it yet to find out what went wrong.
Another friend took some photos today, so when I get them, I'll put them in this thread.
We live in south east Michigan.
Seaplane
Oct 09, 2010, 06:43 PM
Hello everyone, I did the maiden flight on my Sealand today. It was a great day here in
the Toronto area, sunny skies and light winds. For my first flight, I flew the Sealand
with the tip floats removed. I was surprised at how quickly it got off the ground, a takeoff run around 15ft! The sealand required quite a bit of down trim to get it flying
properly. I did check the CofG prior to it's maiden and it did balance on the point as depicted on the plan. I moved the batteries forward on the next couple of flights which
tamed it down considerably. The first flight was nothing more then a number of orbits
around the field to get a feel for it. The Sealand will cruise quite comfortably at 1/3
throttle and climbs with authority when you open the taps! After 3 minutes or so I
brought her in for a uneventful landing. On the next couple of flights I took a few more
liberties and did a number of rolls and loops. I mentioned earlier that I move the batteries forward to help tame down the pitching, in hindsight a few degrees of
positive incidence on the stab would have helped. All things considered, I am very happy with the results, hopefully I'll get a chance to take her out for sea trials in the near future!

A few specs: 2 Emax motors BL 2810, 2 castle 45 amp controllers, props 11x7 eAPC, batteries: 2 individual packs of 3 123 cells.
Oct 10, 2010, 06:20 AM
Suspended Account
I'm a little slow sometimes. I just caught the "C-LAND" registration.
Beautiful plane.
Oct 10, 2010, 04:09 PM
Hey Andy, great job. No need to have worried about the power after ell, eh? With the brushless setup you have I would not have doubted it.

I have heard remarks from several folks flying one of Ivan's seaplanes about the amount of down trim needed to fly level. I should ask Ivan about this and see what he says, I don't think I've ever had the conversation about it. It could be we are all building negative incidence into our elevators on accident. However, what I have always assumed is that the elevator has a bit of negative incidence to improve water takeoff performance. I too originally thought my Solent had come out tail heavy, given its tendency to pitch up on the maiden flight, but found later it was simply a trim issue. I now fly with quite a bit of down trim. Indeed, in later times I took to moving the CG farther back, as having it too far forward makes it difficult to flare for that perfect water landing.

Anyway you can do some experimenting but it sounds like overall she flies quite nicely, if you even did aerobatics! I can say the plane can be quite lively if you want, having seen Ivan put his through the wringer on several occasions!

Here's hoping you get a good day to take her out on the water soon. Be sure to post pics when you do.

Luke
Oct 10, 2010, 04:16 PM
Luke,
Here is a pic of my Sealand and I measured it to find out it is a 450, not a 600.

Seaplane
Last edited by Seaplane; Oct 12, 2010 at 03:58 PM.

Quick Reply