Oct 05, 2010, 03:42 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Heavy duty landing gear for quad/mikrokopter! IDEAS?

Hi there,

I want the 2kg Oktokopter I have to be able to land hard without a problem. (comparable to a fall from 50cm or so) Anyone have any ideas on what landing gear I could use?

Something DIY or commercial? There is a fpv camera underneath so there needs to be some space for that.

I tried to attach 4 plastic clothes hanger as a test and they did work very well in cushioning a hard landing, but it wasn't a long term solution, too fragile in other ways.

Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2010, 03:54 PM
The Sky is the limit when it comes to DIY Landing gear. I was using plastic cut at a 60 degrees angle and attached to the arms with rivets however, I broke so many in hard landing till it was no longer cost efficient. I now make them of Aluminum and haven't broken one sense. But then again, I am flying much better too.
Last edited by rimshotcopter; Jun 06, 2011 at 10:46 PM.
Oct 05, 2010, 03:58 PM
I think it should have a cushioning effect. If it lands on the street it shouldn't rock the whole structure too much. So nothing will break.
Oct 05, 2010, 04:03 PM
For me the tradeoff between weight, vertical clearance, and durability were all factors. In the end I went with T-Rex 600 Standard skids. Clearance is 81mm, durability is very good, but the weight is on the heavy side at 103g even with the skid pipes trimmed. My second choice would be the Flexlander M with 100mm clearance at only 40g but they look fairly fragile and cost $50. Beyond that, there's no other real commercial choices and anything homebuilt is likley to be much heavier. Let me know if you come up with something that can beat the weight/durability ratio of either choices above. Here's how the skids look on my quadcopter.

RC-Carbon.com also sells a CF version of the 600 standard skids. They're going to be more rigid and likley durable, but cost is 3x more and they're the same clearance and weight as the plastic one's above.
Last edited by patricklupo; Oct 05, 2010 at 04:13 PM.
Oct 05, 2010, 04:12 PM
Thread OP
I think I want the landing gear footprint about as wide as the oktokopter itself. So on a hard landing it wont get an unexpected kick to the side or something.

Like I was landing blind! It should survive..
Dec 19, 2010, 06:06 PM
Suspended Account
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4aO1-eXs0U
Dec 19, 2010, 06:10 PM
Now that is some bad weather, I should not complain about the rain we are having here.
Dec 19, 2010, 07:49 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
Hi,
Get some rubber connectors from a kite store and some CF or aluminum tubing and make your own gear in minutes for less than $20. Use pool noodle foam between the "gear frame" and the multicopter for additional shock absorption. Strong and easy and quick to repair. Great crash protection too. Make it as tall as you like
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
Dec 20, 2010, 11:37 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie
Now that is some bad weather, I should not complain about the rain we are having here.
wanna trade? ill take cloudy skies and rain no problem

Quick Reply