2.4G/72M Hz At F3K Team Selection - How was it? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 04, 2010, 01:48 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Discussion

2.4G/72M Hz At F3K Team Selection - How was it?

Guys,

It was asked to start a separate thread on how well 2.4 gHz was working at the US Team selection contest and what issues there, if any.

I figured there were already a few so I opened this thread for those questions.

I would like to know either who was using what (2.4 or 72) and which system/module were they using?

Was the Spektrum 6255 flown and has it proven to be more stable than its
predicessor?

Any 2.4 /72 comments or suggestions about the team selections is fine to be posted here.

thanks

Frank
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2010, 02:10 PM
Jim C
"Hey guys, what day did you have those lock outs?

Where were you when you had the lock-outs?

Any correlation?

This 2.4 stuff is still pretty new. This is not likely to be related but it is worth asking."

Since Mr Ed asked this in the other thread after I mentioned using a mobile hot spot to upload scores.....I will respond here.

No, Mr Ed, there was not a correlation between my MiFi device and the issues that were witnessed at the contest. The ones I saw and heard about were on Friday and Saturday when my device was in my hotel room. On Sunday, the device was used on battery power and only up for minutes at a time to upload scores from my laptop. There were no glider suicides during my posts.

For those that must know, it is a device from Verizon that is basically a small cell phone with a low power, five port, wireless router built in.

There is one thing that did correlate to all the days of the competition. There were people from New York there all three days. Could they have been sending signals?
Oct 04, 2010, 02:14 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
Futaba FASST 2.4 with 617fs rxs... No issues. 2+ years.

Jun C.
Oct 04, 2010, 02:44 PM
Oleg Golovidov
I used my FrSky module and receivers.

On Saturday I thought maybe I had a loss of signal, but it was very likely just a loss of pilot control over the model. Very-very far away, I lost orientation and the model did several wild gyrations until I calmed down and took it under control. I was so scared I tried to blame the receiver and did multiple range checks. The suspect model showed slightly lower range than another one, but still within specs. At home I changed both antennae on the suspect receiver, thinking that maybe there was a break in one of the antennae. Flew the suspect model again on Sunday with no problems. I now think it was just a loss of orientation and turbulence.
Oct 04, 2010, 02:58 PM
G_T
G_T
2.4 FASST in all my planes, different receiver in each. Both modes. No issues at the TS. No issues to date. I switched to Futaba at the beginning of the season, from JR.

Gerald
Oct 04, 2010, 03:04 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Anyone flying Spektrum have anything to report?

It seems that other than the ATX with the older system, everyone had a successful event.

Sounds about correct?

thanks

Frank

P.S. I can't wait for the day when these kinds of threads are no longer needed.....
thanks for the info. I am sure the others interested will be happy to hear of your reports.
Oct 04, 2010, 03:18 PM
CH:
CH:
sorry... I think I missunderstood this... just forget this answer
Last edited by CH:; Oct 04, 2010 at 04:00 PM.
Oct 04, 2010, 05:29 PM
Bruce Davidson
I used the Spektrum AR6255 in my models with a JR 9503 radio. I recently put a hole in my carbon fuses just over the indicator light on the RX so I could interrogate it after every flight. It never blinked at me indicating there was never a loss of signal or confusion.

Bruce
Oct 04, 2010, 06:32 PM
The Detritus of Rcgroups
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High
P.S. I can't wait for the day when these kinds of threads are no longer needed....
If you go with past history as a guideline then these threads will always be needed. As long as I can remember there have always been planes that have had unexplained radio issues. There probably always will be.
Oct 04, 2010, 07:34 PM
Walter Roos

Receiver Problem ,indicator light systems etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by got2soar
I used the Spektrum AR6255 in my models with a JR 9503 radio. I recently put a hole in my carbon fuses just over the indicator light on the RX so I could interrogate it after every flight. It never blinked at me indicating there was never a loss of signal or confusion.

Bruce
Hi Bruce, and Ryan,
Not wanting to start any negative discussion about any of this, but with all the problems we've seen with 2.4 stuff, just how much faith can you put in the indicator system built into the receivers ? Seems to me I remember not too long ago when someone, it may have been Tom S., Maybe several folks, I'm really not sure, had Spektrum and / or Airtronics failures and the indicator system failed to record it. (sorry I can't point out the posts)

No system is 100% failsafe, but 2.4 has had more than it's share of problems IMO.

72 Mhz receiver failures, I believe , are usually easier to figure out. Except, of course, when they're not.

Just thinking, sort of,

walt

PS
Here is Tom S. Post on his Radio Failure at The Team Selection Contest :https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2&postcount=13
Oct 04, 2010, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol
I used my FrSky module and receivers.

On Saturday I thought maybe I had a loss of signal, but it was very likely just a loss of pilot control over the model. Very-very far away, I lost orientation and the model did several wild gyrations until I calmed down and took it under control. I was so scared I tried to blame the receiver and did multiple range checks. The suspect model showed slightly lower range than another one, but still within specs. At home I changed both antennae on the suspect receiver, thinking that maybe there was a break in one of the antennae. Flew the suspect model again on Sunday with no problems. I now think it was just a loss of orientation and turbulence.
Oleg

Which FrSky receiver model? I am thinking of trying this in my Hitec Eclipse.

George
Oct 04, 2010, 08:07 PM
The Detritus of Rcgroups
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOSWH
just how much faith can you put in the indicator system built into the receivers ?
I'm not 100% sure why you are asking me , but you know I love to answer interweb posts. I think you can put as much faith into logging systems as you can in just about any consumer grade electronics equipment. It normally works and records what it is intended to do. Loggers probably fail occasionally too.

From my testing and flying experience, when the Spektrum receivers go into failsafe if the receiver has logging capability it logs and indicates it.

Quote:
Seems to me I remember not too long ago when someone, it may have been Tom S., Maybe several folks, I'm really not sure, had Spektrum and / or Airtronics failures and the indicator system failed to record it. (sorry I can't point out the posts)
From what I remember two guys reported single instances of receivers that got into some kind of really weird state. Just about anything with a computer in it probably has the opportunity, even if the software developers have done a bunch of testing and it is unlikely, to have that happen. Basically the receiver went into a kind of "no workey' state where the indicator was indicating a non standard output and the thing would not recover at all until being rebooted.

Quote:
72 Mhz receiver failures, I believe , are usually easier to figure out. Except, of course, when they're not.
Maybe I just don't have the rose colored glasses, but I remember seeing just as many "I ain't got it!" before 2.4ghz gear as in the times since. Even counting things like me flying with a loose TX module that would disconnect, I am pretty sure I have had a higher % of 72 mhz problems as I have had 2.4ghz problems.

Ryan
Oct 04, 2010, 08:18 PM
Flew Spektrum 2.4 module in my 9303 with Ar6255 and ar7000. No issues all weekend. Range was definitely tested!

James
Oct 04, 2010, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohensej
Flew Spektrum 2.4 module in my 9303 with Ar6255 and ar7000. No issues all weekend. Range was definitely tested!

James
I can vouch for this!!!!!!!

George
Oct 04, 2010, 09:11 PM
Walter Roos
Ryan's Quote:
"Maybe I just don't have the rose colored glasses, but I remember seeing just as many "I ain't got it!" before 2.4ghz gear as in the times since. Even counting things like me flying with a loose TX module that would disconnect, I am pretty sure I have had a higher % of 72 mhz problems as I have had 2.4ghz problems. "

Ryan, I have all the respect in the world for you, but I think that your rose colored glasses are a shade more rose colored than mine.

But, I think I'll just have to disagree with you on the reliability of 72 Mhz technology vs what we see in 2.4 for DLGs.

I do know that my yelling "I ain't got it" when flying 3D stuff on 72 Mhz was less and less needed the more I flew. ie, after the resolution of the Electron 6 problems, I had less and less "radio glitches" as I gaind experience. ie I had been blaming my lack of flying skill on the radio, on occasion. When I switched to 2.4 (in the first year available) I screwed in many a 3D plane due to lock out in those early receivers. I like to think I'm objective, but I suppose I do have a bias toward my comfortable 72 Mhz equipment while still owning and using 2 brands of 2.4 stuff.

walt