Nov 23, 2019, 12:57 AM
Thanks Reid.
I learned a lot from you guys that day.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 24, 2019, 11:23 AM
"I used it on the KSTs on the Ultima ailerons and it climbed right up in the servo through the spline and froze that thing tight. Gotta be careful with that crap....."

Bummer on the CA in the X08 - I have read that you need to be careful with that. One builder recommended a wrap of Kapton to keep it from going between the case sections and sealing the gap at the output shaft with wax before bonding them in, sounded like he may have had your learning experience........... I was thinking of bonding the them in my Falcon once I got sorted and flying, now I'm not as sure.

I am waiting to see how much your Falcon ends up weighing ready to fly - pics please when you get done?

Mike S
Nov 24, 2019, 11:43 AM
My Wal-Mart glue gun works great for bonding servos
Bill
Nov 28, 2019, 03:23 PM
Hereís a photo from the top of our property of the field where I fly my DLGs. They call it the ďBig DĒ here in Perry Park. I donít fly anything larger there because of the houses. Itís always turbulent, even on a calm day, due to the cliffs (lots of hawk nests) on the left and the front range mountains on the right. I lost a model vertically once and found it later in the neighborhood. Then I had one slammed on ground in a clear air microburst. It really highlights the nature of the air in and around the Rockies.

I was up there today getting a Christmas tree for our kids and grandkids so I could burn 300 more calories before consuming 3000 more.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving! Among other things, Iím grateful for our stupid hobby and you guys who are similarly affected; my friends.
Nov 28, 2019, 04:44 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Ditto.
Similarly afflicted...

John
Dec 08, 2019, 11:28 PM
Finished my Falcon!

Now what?

I posted a short write-up with photos over on the Falcon thread for those that are interested.

It’s a very nice kit and I’ll give my impressions after I maiden it. On second thought, no I won’t. Does anyone really care about flight reports? No. They don’t. It’s always something like: “climbs in the lightest lift! signals lift like a bird! penetrates upwind as though it was ballasted! but it wasn’t! I got 5 minutes on a 50 foot throw! tastes like chicken! I’m better looking now!”..

I tell you what. I’ll post a flight report if it flies like crap. But it won’t.

PM me and I’ll send you my Christmas list if you’re having difficulty thinking what to get me. But the reality is that r/c soaring people are the easiest people in the world to shop for. Jam some carbon tow in their stocking and call it good.
Last edited by ReidRoberts; Dec 09, 2019 at 09:58 AM.
Dec 10, 2019, 03:20 PM
Fly it like you Built It !
Every throw a Max, Every round a "K"
your new ship sounds great Reid , but wait till you get at what I have on the board
for next season ! I found a fresh source for unobtainium, and am using it liberally on
this one !!
HB
Dec 10, 2019, 06:52 PM
Sounds good, HB! I canít wait to see it.

Unobtainium going into an unobtainable model. Art by the Amazing Harold. Nothing less.

Iím inspired. I finished the Falcon build but now Iím going to replace the pull/pull system on the F5J Ultima with carbon pushrods. If HB can build incredible DLGs completely from scratch, SURELY I can run some thin CA down the pushrod tubes in the fuse without completely mucking it up. I even bought two sets of pushrods Iím case the first attempt goes south. But I think we all know how this is going to go.....
Dec 16, 2019, 10:28 PM
Afflicted with DDD
RMSA had a great awards banquet last Saturday. Good food and great group.

John Jonke took first place in F3K. I think he practices. Is that fair????
Second was Bowdie Ormsbee, third was Reid Roberts (John Hsu has your plaque) , 4th was Skip Miller and 5th was Jim DeGroot. If anyone wants to see the entire years F3K scores, let me know here and I can email you the excel spread sheet.

Bob
Dec 17, 2019, 10:31 AM

The Honor of R/C Soaring Awards

Congratulations to everyone! That was a memorable and really fun season with you guys.

Now on to 2020!

How much do those awards plaques cost anyway? Because I’ve got just under $4000.00 of DLG horseflesh hanging on the wall waiting to win another of those $3.75 plaques that will live in the back of John Hsu’s car for months until one of us remembers that it’s back there.

Then it’s possible I’ll leave it in the grass at the field where it might get picked up by the sod harvester and end up in the yard of some overpriced Denver-burb soccer kid storage unit.

Or else it comes home with me only to go in the box in the basement with my other plaques, pictures and mementos where it will probably live, ignored, until I croak and some poor family member has to go through my stuff and toss it.

I just went down there and looked at a couple of items. I’m including a couple of images.

-One is just after Desert Storm with our entire 94 Fighter Squadron. I’m holding the flag on the left. I’ll never forget those people.
-One is with my wife of 37 years right after I gave her a taxi ride in the T-38 many years ago. They let us take the runway and light the burners but we weren’t allowed to take off. Mary was yelling for me to keep going...she loved it. Still can’t believe they let us do that.
-One is a cardboard plaque from a Squadron going away party where the ball got dropped on ordering my official one. It is my favorite, by far.
-One is a Ukranian built MI-24 Hind Helicopter that I checked out in signed by my instructors. That is a badass helicopter.....and so much fun!

So many memories. On second thought, John, I want that plaque because I sure as hell will never forget you people!
Last edited by ReidRoberts; Dec 17, 2019 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Grahamer, sperring
Dec 17, 2019, 02:20 PM
Hey Gang !
with the holidays coming up, I have re-furbished one of my old floaters and I am going to give it to the daughter of a friend of ours, and teach her to fly it ! Which brings me to my question. when was the last time you taught a kid to fly ? She is only 9 years old , but pretty sharp. I think she will take to it well. Any hints for teaching Kids these days ? Her Dad does not fly, but she has shown some interest in my ships, I plan on taking them up to NCAR when it warms up a bit and the winds are right , to put it up in the slope lift and let her steer it around the sky for an hour or so. I think she will love it, Slip the surly bonds, ETC...…
HB
Dec 17, 2019, 03:44 PM
hey Reid I have your plaque with me in the pilot lounge. I can hang it on the wall there.....

See you there.
Dec 24, 2019, 02:58 PM
Merry Christmas All !
HB
Dec 25, 2019, 09:16 AM
excelling at mediocrity
Merry Christmas y'all!

I decorated a tree...
Dec 25, 2019, 10:52 AM
John,

That is a lovely ornament. Realistic. Nice photography also.

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one to use a tall ladder on a spindly tree to retrieve a toy airplane.

On this holiest of Christian days, The F3K teaches us all: When life deals you a land out, take the field boundary cone with you.

Merry Christmas. Tidings of great joy and stupid hobby to all of us Merry Gentlemen and those who put up with us.

My gift to you all is no exclamation points in this entire post!

Come fly on New Years Day.
Last edited by ReidRoberts; Dec 25, 2019 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Clerical accuracy

Quick Reply