Nov 17, 2019, 02:15 PM
Before I forget more, on the way off the field today I ran into a gentleman that said to say hi to Jonke and the rest of the group. His name was Dave and his father-in-law was the one that started Colorado DLG Happenings (D Jensen). Sorry I am so poor with names. Nice guy and a really nice wife and family. I told him he needed to get back into tossing DLGs and had my shinny new Falcon to temp him with.

First air for the new plane! The Falcon was a gas, I am really glad I bought it. I had a lot of low level - under 50ft - air that I was able to get two minute flights out of at the end of an hour and half or so of flying. Good stuff considering I was still goofing with trims the entire time. It does move around more than the Snipe, because it's lighter I guess? The air was on and off at 3 or 4 mph from everywhere.
Reid, if yours comes out at 204g or so it will kill light air.

Mike
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2019, 04:27 PM
Afflicted with DDD
Glad to hear that Dave is still around. It would be great if he and Gary would get back into DLGs. They were both very good competitors. It was a family thing with them and wives and daughters (and dog) made it a good time at contests. Thanks to Dave for starting this thread.

Bob
Nov 17, 2019, 05:54 PM
I Wish I Was Flying...
Hey Mike, I figured you would post here. it was good to meet you today. It’s definitely tempting to get back into flying DLG. It’s been too long!

That falcon looked like a nice ship! Now we just need to convince Dave and Gary to get back into it. If they go for it I will!

Scott
Nov 17, 2019, 10:45 PM
Spins With Gliders
Thread OP
Yup, Iím still around, and checking in on the group now and then... and to think itís only been 12,498 posts ago that this thread started!

Iíve considered doing some DLG again, but Iím not sure my back would have any part of it. Iím more looking into powered sailplanes... or maybe itís Scott that is dragging me into it.

Iím glad to see yíall are still slinging the planes!
Nov 17, 2019, 10:58 PM
Spins With Gliders
Thread OP
... plus, I just don’t think I’d be anywhere near competitive these days. :-)
Nov 17, 2019, 11:11 PM
I Wish I Was Flying...
Quote:
Originally Posted by djensen
... plus, I just donít think Iíd be anywhere near competitive these days. :-)
Thatís exactly why Iím trying to get you into it... so I have a chance!
Nov 18, 2019, 09:30 AM
Afflicted with DDD
Quote:
and you think I am at 72 with 4 titanium joints! I'm just out there to fill in the matrix and have fun.

Bob AKA "Cannon Fodder"
Nov 18, 2019, 10:19 AM
And me at 74! Having fun is what it is all about. Great guys, low stress contests.
Nov 18, 2019, 01:07 PM
Quote:
There's something I saw while running around the country for work rather than staying home and flying.
I was down in Dallas and the glider club there had tiny high starts that were calibrated to give a DLG a good to above average launch. That evened out the field on launches. You were still allowed to discuss launch if you wanted to which allowed one guy who launched really high to continue to do so. But the point of the high starts was to give those that can no longer launch as high as the rest of the group the ability to do so. From what I saw it did an excellent job of evening out the heights.
Tasks would have to be suitable for high start launches and longer turnaround times, but allowing those of us that can't launch to the moon to have average launches just might get more competitors flying that think they can no longer be competitive.

Mike
Nov 18, 2019, 04:52 PM
Transplant Chey WY from Reno
Quote:
Don't worry, you are in good company!

Chris
Nov 20, 2019, 02:17 PM
Fly it like you Built It !
Hey Chris, I love that foam !
now I just need to make sure I find a way to show it off on the new ship.
thanx
HB
Nov 22, 2019, 02:25 PM
Transplant Chey WY from Reno
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB DLG
Hey Chris, I love that foam !
now I just need to make sure I find a way to show it off on the new ship.
thanx
HB
Cool. Perhaps at the banquet I can tell you a bit more about what I know about using it.

I want to use it for some freeflight CLG wings. BTW, I airbrush fluorescents on it, bag with glass and it lights up in the sky well.

Chris
Nov 22, 2019, 09:58 PM

Big DLG, Black CA, Pushrods and Stuff.....

Iíve been busy. In no particular order:

-I lost my beloved F5J Xplorer (pictured, green trim) to a damaged wire causing it to die an All American vertical death at full throttle during the last contest of the year the Sunday after our last F3K contest. Jim DeGroot has taken the many pieces home and may attempt some of that DeGroot magic to resurrect it. Personally, Iíve said my goodbyes, saluted this fallen soldier and commended its soul to Jim.

-But I still have my heart set on being an FAA criminal so I picked up a nice, used Ultima 1 (pictured, black). I like to indulge myself in this stupid hobby and buy new but we 2020 F5J rogue warriors are a thrifty lot so this baby is now the F5J battle cruiser of choice. 44 ozs. Carbon on rohacel. Itís a big DLG! Pull-pull rudder and elevator cables (wee bit touchy!). I love it.

-In fact, remember when John gave away those KST X08 V5 servos a while back? Well, I took them thinking I would help someone out but I used them on the ailerons of the Ultima instead. They work great!

-Which brings us to black CA. I use it on everything including my DLG throwing blades and it doesnít budge. My CX-5 has hundreds of throws and that blade is completely bulletproof. But that stuff permeates everything. I used it on the KSTs on the Ultima ailerons and it climbed right up in the servo through the spline and froze that thing tight. Gotta be careful with that crap.....

-Because it will be used on the 2mm OD carbon tube pushrods for the flaperons on the new Falcon. Thin and strong. The hole in the fuse where the pushrods exit to the flaperons will be the only support. I got a ďliteĒversion and the wing only weighs 91 grams but it is nice and stiff. High quality kit! Iím looking for sub-200 grams.

So....the season ainít ever over! I am so looking forward to getting going next year with all you guys. Itís been so great to see new people and returnees in all disciplines but you guys donít need to show up or come back and be quite so good!

Reid
easy to shop for.
Nov 22, 2019, 10:07 PM
Reid,
Sorry for your loss,
look forward to seeing your Falcon (Mike's, as well) next year, hope to check out some F5J and always enjoy your posts.

Kevin
Nov 22, 2019, 10:18 PM
Kevin,

We surely hope to see more of you although you’re one of the sleeper experts I was referring to! It was amazing watching you surf that Vortex in the breeze at the last contest. You got skills....

Quick Reply