1) John J
2) Joe D
3) Bill B
4) Mike S
5) Jesse F
to remove ads between posts
Aug 01, 2021, 10:31 AM
A different attitude to RC
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has contact with Skip. I learnt about the contest he flew in SA with Aquila's some decades ago and was wondering if somehow I got hold of an Aquila from him or someone in the team when I was a kid. Here is a picture of it so if anyone recognizes it, I would love to know about it.
Name: Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 9.06.28 AM.png
Views: 45
Size: 1.18 MB
Description:
Last edited by extremewing; Aug 01, 2021 at 10:55 AM.
Aug 01, 2021, 10:53 AM
excelling at mediocrity
Hi Adrian I emailed it to Skip.

Look at all that hair!
Aug 01, 2021, 10:59 AM
Thank you John! That glider was my prized possession. I made a trailer out of a wheeled golf bag to tow behind my bike so I could transport it. I was what they called a nerd. Might still be....
Aug 01, 2021, 11:09 AM
excelling at mediocrity

Plug

...you have evolved from nerd to inventor...I use F3KMaster App every time I fly and I enjoy watching PurpleAir go world-wide...
Aug 01, 2021, 11:21 AM
Well thank you John. You were one of the first sensors in Colorado and so you can know you were part of PurpleAir from the beginning and I appreciate your willingness to support us .

This community has played a huge role. F3KMaster taught me Java which we use in PA and the BTOA taught me some hardware/firmware skills that we use too.
Aug 01, 2021, 01:49 PM

aquila

Responding to above inquirey. No that’s not one of my AQUILAS from the Worlds . The one I won with is in the Smithsonian in DC and my backup
is in the AMA museum .
All of my Aquilas were red wings and white fuse for ease of in competition repairs if needed.

I was the only one on the first USA team flying Aquilas. Dale Nutter flew Esprit and Lemond Payne flew Legionair. Dan Pruss our team manager may have brought an Aquila, and Dave Thornberg our towman may have brought a Bird of Time

If you have it still look and see if it had what became known as “ the Miller mod” where I sheeted the underside of the wing to back edge of D box and carved Phillips entry into leading edge . This improved performance dramatically.

Aquila to this day is still an amazing model…. until Lee designed the SAGITTA. That was a significant next step.

My best,

Skip Miller
Aug 01, 2021, 01:58 PM
Thanks for responding Skip. The plane is long gone. I wish I still had it.
Aug 01, 2021, 07:00 PM

Aquila

The good news is there are plenty Aquila kits still available and are just as perfect as the day they were produced in the mid seventies!

If you find one and build it make sure you do the mod… it makes quite a difference.

Best
Skip
Aug 01, 2021, 07:32 PM
Do you guys have a schedule for September, October or November? Trying to plan a visit to my mother in law and would love for it to coincide with a DLG meet up…
Aug 01, 2021, 08:04 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Achi we have Sept 18, Oct 9, and Nov 6...all Saturdays

You're welcome to join us.
Aug 01, 2021, 10:17 PM
Just an earth-bound misfit, I
John,

Count me in! tune up before the NATS and TS.

Sent you email on F5J ship.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONKE
Our August RMSA F3K club contest is right around the corner...Saturday the 14th!

We'll plan on 8 rounds starting right after the 0830 pilots' meeting. Bring water, sunscreen, a chair, an F3K or F5K model. Pilots of all skill levels are invited to join the fun.

We had a mess of pilots last month...let's do that again!

Please put it on your calendar and let me know you can make it. Sign up deadline is 730pm on Friday the 13th.

Roster:

1) John J
2) Joe D
3) Bill B
4) Mike S
5) Jesse F

If you told me you'll be there and your name isn't on this list, please let me know.

John

You know you want to...
Aug 01, 2021, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC1soar
The good news is there are plenty Aquila kits still available and are just as perfect as the day they were produced in the mid seventies!

If you find one and build it make sure you do the mod… it makes quite a difference.

Best
Skip
I tried finding one, but could not. Are they with the fiberglass fuse? How do I get one?
Aug 01, 2021, 11:10 PM
excelling at mediocrity
...added Jon P

Roster:

1) John J
2) Joe D
3) Bill B
4) Mike S
5) Jesse F
6) Jon P
7) Stephen H
Last edited by JONKE; Aug 02, 2021 at 07:11 PM.
Aug 02, 2021, 12:30 AM
DS Composites Team Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremewing
I tried finding one, but could not. Are they with the fiberglass fuse? How do I get one?
If you keep your eyes open on the classifieds you will probably be able to find one. I’ve seen 2 or 3 for sale here on the groups this year, you just have to see it early and be quick to PM the individual selling it as they don’t stay for sale long!

Best regards,

Jon G
Latest blog entry: My sailplanes

Quick Reply