4M Horten XIV Club Glider - RC Groups
Sep 30, 2010, 12:48 AM
Designing something...
Build Log

4M Horten XIV Club Glider

I just finished the scale center section for my Horten XVI so now I'm going to start building a 4 meter Horten XIV Club Glider. The original glider was build in 1945 by the Horten brothers. The model was designed by Andrés and Lothar of www.ig-horten.de fame.

If you're not familiar with how these models are built you should take a look that the Horten XVI build log. The XIV is build using the same materials...lots of birch and poplar plywood with a bit of pine thrown in for the spars. Like with the XVI I'm going to build two center sections. One non-scale powered and one scale non-powered.

I've already ordered the electric motor, Lipo batteries, and the wing joiner carbon rods/tubes.

I'll be posting some pictures and specs soon but until then here are some pictures of Andrés' and Lothar's models.

Brian
Last edited by cpdude; Oct 01, 2010 at 11:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 30, 2010, 01:39 AM
Hi Brian,

I am looking forward Your build log.

Lothar
Sep 30, 2010, 10:59 AM
Designing something...

Update and bad pictures

I've temporarily assembled the center section ribs in the jig. The little black part is a scrap piece of .5" ID carbon "Roll Wrapped" tube left over from my Horten XVI build. The actual joiner tube will go the full width of the center section. The front wing joiner tube will get a .625" ID carbon tube with a matching 28" long solid .625" OD carbon rod. Both the rods and the tube are schedule to be delivered today.

Some other details...

For the powered center section I'm going to be using a Turnigy AerodriveXp SK Series 42-60 500Kv motor. The prop will be driven via a 5mm drill rod/prop shaft with two 5mm ID bearing at the rear--this is exactly how the Horten XVI was done and I'm very happy with it so far. For batteries, I'll be using two 3s 4000mAh Lipos connected in series to give my 6s. I haven't decided on the ESC and BEC but I'll probably go with Castle Creations for both.

Like with the XVI I'll be mounting a JR921 receiver in one of the wing panels so I can use one receiver for both center sections.

I'd like to get some suggestion for the elevon and flap servos. I used HS-82MG's in the XVI but I'm not very happy with them. They seemed to have a lot of slop--Just my observation and opinion.

Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures. I promise not to use the camera in my phone any more.
Sep 30, 2010, 12:09 PM
less is more
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpdude
I'm going to build two center sections. One non-scale powered and one scale non-powered.
Brian
Brian,
How do you plan to fly the non-powered version? Slope... aerotow? high start?

Kent
Sep 30, 2010, 12:09 PM
Designing something...
strange...the pictures didn't make it. Let's trying this again...
Sep 30, 2010, 12:10 PM
Designing something...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53
Brian,
How do you plan to fly the non-powered version? Slope... aerotow? high start?

Kent
Probably slope and aerotow. I'm definitely going to install a tow release.

-Brian
Sep 30, 2010, 02:06 PM
Well,

for servos.... I use stil those HS82 in my XIV and felt the same as You. Some of them have a problem with the slop....

So we need something with the same force and power, full metal gear and may be digital. If anybody has a not too expensive solution, I would be also interested to know.

Regards

Lothar
Oct 02, 2010, 01:20 PM
Hi Brian,

nice ! I'm really looking forward to see you build log!

@Lothar: Regarding the servos, I had very good experience with these new Graupner digital "economic" servos (DES). The DES 488 MG has a similar torque at 4,8 V and even a better value at 6V. They are somewhat faster, have good precision and are somewhat smaller and lighter. You get them for 7 EUR more than the 82MG. However, considering the material costs of such a project, this should be negligible.

Greetings,

Andrés
Oct 02, 2010, 02:05 PM
yyz
yyz
Very cool! Subscribed.
Oct 02, 2010, 07:06 PM
Designing something...
@Andrés - I did a quick search and could't find a US source for the Graupner DES 488 MG servos. The search continues...

Brian
Oct 02, 2010, 09:33 PM
Designing something...

Progress on the powered center section

The top of the powered center section is now skinned. I'm now fitting the sheer webs in front and in back of both carbon tubes, however, I'm going to hold off on gluing them in place until the motor mount, prop shaft and such are installed.

I'm hoping to start on the scale center section this next week. It should be fun but it's also a lot more complex.

Brian
Oct 02, 2010, 11:08 PM
yyz
yyz
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpdude
@Andrés - I did a quick search and could't find a US source for the Graupner DES 488 MG servos. The search continues...

Brian
Check with Sandy at Graupner USA:

http://www.v-eastonline.com

Mike
Oct 03, 2010, 04:08 AM
Brian,

another choice, but somewhat more expensive, are the Futaba S3150. I have these in our Turbine-Horten: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1297480. These are also very precise MG servos, but cost around 40 EUR a piece (twice as much a the 82MG).

Greetings,

Andrés
Oct 03, 2010, 05:26 AM
Hi Brian,

please make some "boxing plates" forward and aft of both connector pipes as You did forward the main pipe. The center section cannot be strong enaugh.

I would not start the scale center, before the wings on the upper side are ready built. So Yo can use them to fix the outer ribbs of the center section in a proper position to the wings. Especially at this plane it's extremly difficiult to build two centers, which are similar.

Remember how to position the inner ribb of the wing of the wings together with the center at the XVI. Same system for the scale, but "upsidedown". I can remember, I did this in the living-room of our house, when my wife was shopping. becaus it was the only room, which was big enaugh to put the complete airplane together.....

Regards

Lothar
Oct 03, 2010, 09:51 AM
Designing something...
Lothar,

Of course you are correct. I will wait to start on the scale center section.

That means I'll need to assemble my building boards. I'm going to try to build them 2.5 meters long so they work on the Horten IV too.

Thanks!
Brian

Quick Reply