Sep 09, 2011, 09:18 AM
Flying Half Pound and Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
Hold on to your hat when it flies by, the shockwave will try to blow it off.
That is the feature I was counting on. I am sure with a low close pass, a optional hair cut is included in the price of admission.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the plans Leadfeather its appreciated and I'll sure post up a pic when I get mine together.

DaOldGuy Thats a good looking build you have there my friend good luck on the maiden flight, be sure to report in I'll be watching for your post.

Keith
Sep 09, 2011, 11:55 AM
Flying Half Pound and Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kf52t
Thanks for the plans Leadfeather its appreciated and I'll sure post up a pic when I get mine together.

DaOldGuy Thats a good looking build you have there my friend good luck on the maiden flight, be sure to report in I'll be watching for your post.

Keith
Thanks Kieth, if my eyes can keep up with it, its all good... if not it will be spetacular. Either way, there should be video coverage.
Sep 29, 2011, 08:01 AM
Thought I should post this to a more current thread

I have a few questions I think leadfeather can answer perhaps others can answer also.
I was wondering if the FireFly XS is the same 24" firefly EPP version from leadfeathers post or is it larger? I was also wondering if there was a regular plain sheet pdf plans for the X-raycer? If not could you post a sheet with the dimensions of the X-raycer? Has an X-raycer been built from EPP Dollar Tree Foamboard or just real Depron?

Ok maybe that was more than a few questions LOL Thanks guys
Sep 29, 2011, 09:04 AM
Thinking about building one of these.

What kind of set up (motor, prop, etc.) did you use for the 20" version?

Using 10 gram HX type servo's?

Thanks!
Sep 29, 2011, 09:45 PM
Winging it >
Quote:
Originally Posted by xheli_d
Thought I should post this to a more current thread

I have a few questions I think leadfeather can answer perhaps others can answer also.
I was wondering if the FireFly XS is the same 24" firefly EPP version from leadfeathers post or is it larger? I was also wondering if there was a regular plain sheet pdf plans for the X-raycer? If not could you post a sheet with the dimensions of the X-raycer? Has an X-raycer been built from EPP Dollar Tree Foamboard or just real Depron?

Ok maybe that was more than a few questions LOL Thanks guys
Yes, the FireFly XS is the same size (24" span) just with printed graphics and intended for a styrene foam build.

X-Raycer plans were never done in the traditional plain sheet format. Just print out the color print in black and white and make templates as usual for the non-color traditional type template build. I built my X-Raycer from Dollar Tree Foam. If you use epp you may need to do some bracing if you don't use the paper laminated to the foam.

Maybe someone could add dimensions to the plans?

There are a couple of other color schemes that we had...trying to dig them up.
Sep 30, 2011, 09:36 AM
Leadfeather

Thanks so much for the information. I think I will try my hand at these with Dollar Tree Foam.
Oct 15, 2011, 03:59 PM
Winging it >
motorhead is putting the X-Raycer into production as a (very nice) kit.

Here is the video of the maiden flight of his first production machine. Warning ... crappy video, but a really good flying machine.
Oct 15, 2011, 06:17 PM
I would like to see one of these fly with boxhead's wedge idea from his delken instead of the vert stabs. May have to try it one of these days. I really like this design. Going to have to buy one of those 3000 motors too...
Oct 18, 2011, 10:54 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know that with permission this design is now available from Fancyfoam.com.
http://www.fancyfoam.com/index.php?m...ex&cPath=12_48
I have production setup and will have video very soon.
The graphics are a little different but very close to what they had designed for the green version. The graphics are painted directly on the foam.
I have flown mine several times now and am very happy with it. Very controllable from slow to high speed and the roll rate is incredible.
I added lights and have flown mine at night. With its stable flight and unique shape it makes a very interesting night flyer.
Mike
Fancyfoam
Oct 19, 2011, 07:12 AM
Motorhead, what kind of motor and prop do you have on yours? What would you recommend for the 20" version?

Thanks!
Oct 19, 2011, 11:02 PM
I am running a 2730-3000 on a4.1x4.1 and a 3s 1100 battery.
It would be very fast and not too heavy on the 20".
Mike
Oct 20, 2011, 06:09 AM
Thanks!

Could you run this on 2S and use a slightly larger prop?
(I ask because I HAVE 2S lipo's in various mAh's.) What size would you recommend?
Oct 26, 2011, 03:02 PM
Hello,

Looks like a really fun flyer, so I had the plans printed out on a full size bond roll. You input is appreciated on the following:

I have both EPP and bluecor sheets, but was leaning towards the EPP side. After applying the templete and cutting out the parts, in order to reinforce it, I was thinking of using WBPU and 0.50 oz. cloth on the underside of the large flat piece (and vertical fins) in addition to a single CF spar. Next I can glue the two doubler halves to the bottom.

What do you think?
Oct 26, 2011, 07:51 PM
Winging it >
Quote:
Originally Posted by compass
Hello,

Looks like a really fun flyer, so I had the plans printed out on a full size bond roll. You input is appreciated on the following:

I have both EPP and bluecor sheets, but was leaning towards the EPP side. After applying the templete and cutting out the parts, in order to reinforce it, I was thinking of using WBPU and 0.50 oz. cloth on the underside of the large flat piece (and vertical fins) in addition to a single CF spar. Next I can glue the two doubler halves to the bottom.

What do you think?
EPP = more durable for sure.

bluecor = faster speed and roll rate.

The plane flies very well both fast and slow. Landings are easy and the nose construction was designed for good impact resistance; so all that said I would personally opt for a bluecor build myself. Mine is Depron.

Good luck with your build. Looking forward to a flight report.

Quick Reply