Sep 18, 2019, 03:45 PM
I just got one down with twine ductaped to a baseball. It took about an hour of trying, swinging the ball around then trying to release it in the perfect direction is a skill I never thought I'd remotely possess but it worked. I also came close with a rod, reel, and sinker. I'm much more accurate with that (years of surfcasting, and off peirs and jetties) but I couldnt get the sinker to wrap around the branch. Next time I might try a heavier rod with a tennis ball as a weight. But I hope there is no next time��. Best of luck!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2019, 03:52 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Yeah I guess most of us have. But I've always been able to get mine down, until now. That thing must be 75 ft up! I can't ask anyone to climb it, it's just a trunk-no branches until the top where it snagged the plane, and too high, a fall would probably kill. I've actually used a compound bow and arrows before successfully. I keep two bamboo poles taped together in my garage for just this problem and have used that often. But this is way too high. Only hope is wind power.
Well, it wont break the bank, but still

Thanks for your suggestions.
Sep 18, 2019, 05:54 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
75 feet up, hmmm......yep, you're screwed. Let's hope a good storm blows through soon then.
Sep 24, 2019, 07:56 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Amazing what some wind will do. I thought that sucker was wedged tight, but I drove by yesterday and there it was sitting on the road fairly intact. The fins were loose but overall not bad. And I had my electronics back. I fixed it up and flew it tonight a bit, then crashed and did a wee bit of foam damage. The hot glue gun is warming up as I type.
Sep 25, 2019, 04:32 AM
And another plane eating tree is without it's dinner, thank goodness for their slow digestive tracts.
Great to hear.
May 18, 2020, 08:53 AM

X-Raycer 2020

My original X-Raycer was a fantastic airplane that brought me many hours of fun. It was my first major fixed wing FPV flying as well. I found it's performance in all speed ranges was excellent and maneuverability was incredible. I since moved on to a number of fancy molded EPP wings and have a had a lot of fun with those too. However, I've always missed the X-Raycers exceptional control ability. The delta wing combined with the mid-mount prop just gives unbelievable control even at slow speeds which really opens up the maneuvers the plane is capable of.

So...in combination with some other techniques I've wanted to try for some time, here is my 2020 version of the X-Raycer. This will be running iNav with GPS setup and the DJI HD FPV system. It's milled with an airfoil out of 1" foam.

CAD Design:

CNC Milling

Glued, sanded, front hatch 3d printed

More to come soon!
May 20, 2020, 08:38 AM
Nice!
May 23, 2020, 12:46 PM
Yes, nice, but it takes all the fun away of cutting with an exacto and painstaking sanding to achieve the same results...….waaaaa, I want one of those machines.….and the skill to use one.
Jun 09, 2020, 05:13 PM
Slow progress. Too busy these days.

Color scheme I'm working on:

Paint done, need to cut the vinyl yet.

Added Flight Controller, GPS, and working on servo's.

Jun 09, 2020, 10:29 PM
Hi I am Mark & I am an addict
I'm digging the method and the design.... great job!

Mark
Jun 24, 2020, 11:02 AM
Finished:

First few flights after getting it dialed in a little more. Still needs more tweaks to get the flight controller handling it properly. This is all flown in manual.

X-Raycer 2020 - From Up Above (2 min 56 sec)

X-Raycer 2020 - FPV Joyride (3 min 55 sec)
Jun 24, 2020, 03:50 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Crazy cool! Even with an FC, that requires skill.
Jun 26, 2020, 04:35 PM
I've tweaked the throws and midpoints so we have more resolution but still lots of nose up elevator. It is now flying pretty nicely in manual, though iNav still isn't so sure about how it performs in ACRO. Also had to modify the DJI mount to try and get the DJI air unit to breath better. Was overheating pretty quickly in between flights. Added in a Insta360 Go as well just to make up for how often my AU stops recording. Plus that little bit of stabilization makes a big improvement on the footage.

Flew pretty well until the end when my "pull and pray" maneuver didn't work so hot. Need to go up to 4S I think for that unlimited vertical.

Insta360 Go - Mini HD Recording For FPV (2 min 20 sec)
Jul 01, 2020, 10:09 AM
I sure remember now how much I love this plane for FPV. It won't stall, it can pull off any maneuver at tops speed or just back to a crawl. Combined with DJI's HD FPV system this is such a fun machine to rip around in.

Farm Fly 2020 - X-Raycer FPV (4 min 56 sec)
Jul 02, 2020, 09:41 PM
NewFlyer
Impressive FPV Platform you got there... I bet it flies longer than the Quads/Whoops..

Quick Reply