Aug 18, 2019, 02:13 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by spad7
Well the maiden did not go as expected. My set up is a 1300 3 cell, Emax RS2205, with battery came in at 350 grams.

It flew but very pitch sensitive ( tail heavy ?), At high throttle it tucks under and does a outside loop which is VERY exciting when you aren't trying to do it.

It did slow down and come in for easy landings.

Next flight will be a 450 3 cell battery, a little nose weight to make it nose heavy, reset all of the trims back to center and see what happens.

The hatch broke off completely after two bad launches, not sure if I will replace that or leave it off.

Also I plan to add a battery strap instead of using velcro on the battery.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Mike
Why are you switching from 1300mAh 3S to 450mAh 3S if you believe it is tail heavy ?

Do you have low/high rates & expo on elevator ? Where were the elevator trims set ( up or down ) ?

Do you have down or up thrust on your motor/prop ?

When increasing throttle ( on any plane ) , roll it on gradually rather than suddenly punching it .
to remove ads between posts
Aug 18, 2019, 07:24 PM
what is a rudder for?
I added weight to the nose , made it nose heavy, used a 450 battery. lt made a huge difference, now I have stable flight, inverted is easy, rolls fast, nice big loops.

Thank you .

Mike
Aug 18, 2019, 07:51 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by spad7
I added weight to the nose , made it nose heavy, used a 450 battery. lt made a huge difference, now I have stable flight, inverted is easy, rolls fast, nice big loops.

Thank you .

Mike
Good news !
Sep 15, 2019, 01:25 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Just came across this thread a week ago and the build concept and design intrigued me. I had to build one. So I did.
First I printed out the patterns but black and white- no color laserjet printer. I cut the parts out of MPF and the assembly was easy enough. No spars.
Itís set up with a Racerstar 2212 2300k motor spinning a 7Ē prop with a 20A ESC. 1800 mAh lipo almost at the front. The ESC got super hot so I changed to a 30A but that gets very hot too. I added an air scoop with little effect. I may have to mount it on the outside.
I set up dual rates with small throws and high expos but OMG this thing is crazy! It takes very little to get it roll spinning and itís otherwise very agile for loops and turns and unlimited vertical. For me, its been a little hard to handle, but Iím taking it easy and getting a feel for it.
It really is a lot of fast fun. Thank God it slows down and lands easily. Thanks for the design and free plans!
Sep 15, 2019, 08:01 PM
Nice job! The best part of this design is the big flight envelope. You can go as fast or as slow as you want with little chance of stalling. Get it up high and test that out to see the limits you will be pleasantly surprised. Fly at a comfy speed then go nuts when you get used to it.
Sep 15, 2019, 09:34 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Thanks Gregco
So far I havenít crashed it!
Sep 16, 2019, 07:42 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregco10
Nice job! The best part of this design is the big flight envelope. You can go as fast or as slow as you want with little chance of stalling. Get it up high and test that out to see the limits you will be pleasantly surprised. Fly at a comfy speed then go nuts when you get used to it.
That has been my experience as well. Great design.

Ken
Sep 17, 2019, 01:12 PM
treefinder
Aileron, I am thinking you may want to prop down an inch. A 2300Kv 2212 with a 7" prop is definitely gonna use amps and strain ESC and motor. It should be easier to handle, with less thrust, though you may even pick up some top speed depending on pitch you select going to a 6" prop.
Sep 17, 2019, 02:54 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Maybe youíre right springer. Iíve considered that or using a lower kV motor. The 30A ESC gets a little less hot than the 20 but it still heats up

By the way, Iím going to have to order more MPF soon, there are so many cool plans.
Sep 17, 2019, 03:12 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Yep I guess Iíve been working it pretty hard!
Sep 17, 2019, 04:22 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleRRon
Yep I guess Iíve been working it pretty hard!
The motor wasn't getting a little warm also?
Sep 17, 2019, 04:32 PM
treefinder
Ah, the 2450! I have one of those, but haven't put it on a plane yet. Looking for something like this Xraycer. What pitch prop are you using? My recollection is that diameter is the big thing in amp draw, while pitch determines the final max speed, but has less impact on amp draw. Quite a testament to the motor that you haven't burned up any wires!

Actually, I find the 2212 series racestar motors to be incredible bargains. usually around $5-7 from Banggood, they perform really well, I have used the 1000, 1400 and 1800 motors and hopefully will get the 2450 on something before winter.
Sep 17, 2019, 06:44 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Well... the motor got a little warm too. So I changed to a 6” prop and ran it tonight. The speed and punch are not that much different. Maybe just a wee bit less. The 30A ESC didn’t get as hot. It’s a 6”4 pitch prop so a little more pitch than recommended. But that’s what I have and that’s what I’m gonna use.
This XRaycer is a blast!

I also think the Racerstar motors from Banggood are a steal. They’ve performed well and I haven’t burned one out yet. They are actually on sale right now, so grab some for 5-6 bucks each
Sep 18, 2019, 01:58 PM
Build, crash...repeat

@)$*#&^$%$#@!!

:cens ored::cens ored:
Went out for a midday session, first time EVER. Brought the XRaycer and launched it, made one turn, was over my head and before I knew it, a row of @#$%& trees got in the way and one of them grabbed my beautiful new XRaycer. I didn't know trees got that @#$%ing tall around here, it's really high up there. No amount of gunning and flapping got it loose.
Sep 18, 2019, 03:27 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Been there done that. Apparently cussing at it didn't work either... You can always wait till fall and see if it falls. OK, I'm done. How high up do you estimate it is? Every suggestion will most likely damage the plane but you'll still save most of the expensive electrics.
Fishing pole with a weight at the end of the line....you will get some snags tho, bring extra weights.
Throwing rocks
Slingshot....yes, it works.
Get a kid to climb up the tree....you'll be surprised how many enjoy doing that, especially if you offer him some cash.
And if all else fails, check on it after a heavy storm or windy day.
The battery will probably be no good but sometimes they can be brought back to life.
Anyways, I hope you do get it back and in mostly one piece. Don't give up hope, I'm three for three on getting mine out of the tree, and one was way up there.

Quick Reply