A little bit of F3B history - Page 3 - RC Groups
Oct 02, 2010, 07:52 AM
Very cool. Some years ago Espen Torp scanned and wrote a bit but it never finished. It is here:
http://www.f3x.no/f3b/history/index.htm

Jojo
to remove ads between posts
Oct 02, 2010, 01:18 PM
This has to be one of the best threads I can remember! I am going to email my good friend Don Edberg to see if he can take a look and chime in. He was a US pilot in 81 and 83 and TM in France in 89.

When I started to get serious about F3B, Don and I sat down in his office and went through his scrapbook. It was about 6 inches thick and contained pictures and magazine clippings about F3B. He had all kinds of great stuff from the early days of F3B. It was a wonderful history lesson! It's good to know how we got to where we are today.

The Israel magazine takes me back too. I still have one in my shop somewhere. I was a helper for Steve Condon, Scott Condon and Manny Tau at the TS in '92 (at the age of 17). Steve went on to work as a helper for the US team in Israel...and I was hooked on the sport! Good times
Oct 02, 2010, 04:45 PM
Anyone have pictures of the Allure? (Spelling right?) Very early 80's design, highly swept wing with hardly any nose, T-tail, I think it was an Italian design, awesome looking model.
Oct 03, 2010, 05:57 AM
Food for a good read:
(scroll down 2/3 of the page til you hit "History of F3B" section)
http://f3b-league.blogspot.com/2007/...nt-flying.html
BR, Jurgen.
Oct 03, 2010, 11:27 AM
F3B and F3K

Allure picture

Quote:
Food for a good read:
(scroll down 2/3 of the page til you hit "History of F3B" section)
Ohh ohh Jurgen, where have you found this? Geez my english skills were quite bad back then and it did not help that we skipped the proof reading.
But the interview with Rolf Girsberger, the designer of the RG 15 was quite cool, one of my heros.

@Roydor: Thanks for scanning the magazine from the worlds in 1993, much appreciated! I love to look at those gliders and it is fun to see the pilots back then. Many are still in the F3B business.

@s2000: I have one picture of the Allure, a wonderful design by Eugenio Pagliano. There were many copies and some swiss guys also tried the "clothes-hanger".
His Crescendo also looks nice. All moulded gliders in 1979!

Reto
Last edited by RetoF3X; Oct 03, 2010 at 01:06 PM. Reason: typo, Crescendo
Oct 03, 2010, 12:39 PM
Hi Juergen,

nice reading! But I'm amazed about how often people mix up Martin and me... In the hall of fame, 2005 FIN, there should be such a small amendment...

See you,

Andreas
Oct 03, 2010, 12:46 PM
F3B and F3K
I know Andreas, I know. I wish I could fix it now, but too late. I wrote all that in a hurry for the worlds in Emmen...

Did some flying with your brother yesterday, now I know which one is which.

Reto
Oct 03, 2010, 02:49 PM

Allure 79

For s2000:

I've met Eugenio Pagliano in Amay at the WC 1979. He has had two planes and he gave me the drawings of his planes. Please find them here with two pictures I've shot from his Allure79.
Funny paintings at the bottom of his wings.
Christian
Oct 03, 2010, 04:01 PM
Deniable plausibility
There is something terribly elegant about that Allure. Such a shame swept wings have so many negatives...

S
Oct 03, 2010, 08:04 PM
The Crescendo is looking really good as well. Larry Jolly and I had an idea about building a knock-off of the Allure many years ago, plans were done and a slight amount of construction was started, but, other things got in the way. What a cool design!
Oct 04, 2010, 05:43 PM
or GPS, F, J, K, or even TD
I agree with Aaron. This is a really cool thread. Thanks for doing this Reto, and thanks to everyone for contributing. My first try at the F3B team was with Mark Smith in 1982. Mark made the team that year and went to the WC's in England. He flew an all molded model called the Salmon. Super cool looking little glider with a fairly highly undercambered airfoil. I had a glider of my own design, but ended up flying a model called the Whisper that I had slapped together at Mark's friends house a couple nights prior to the contest. We flew at field in Joliet, IL. I think I missed the cut for the flyoffs by one or two. I was 18, and it was my first road trip without my parents, and it was quite a fun trip...

Thanks again Reto.

Mike
Oct 04, 2010, 05:51 PM
Mike, is that the same Whisper that Rick Schrameck had? I had a lot of drool over that model.
Oct 04, 2010, 07:49 PM
This is one of the most interesting threads ever!

Thanks Reto!
Oct 04, 2010, 08:04 PM
Team JR Air
Some additional info...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1099205

Tom
Oct 05, 2010, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B
He flew an all molded model called the Salmon. Super cool looking little glider with a fairly highly undercambered airfoil.

Mike
Mike, do you mean Samun?

Samun was used by Finnish team in the -83 WC in York and later they told me that some of the USA team members used same plane.
I can`t remember the manufacturer of Samun, but it was made in Germany.

I agree also that this is great thread.
I have collected the history of F3B many years, of course mainly Finnish but also Nordic and international history.

Does anybody know when and where has been the very first F3B competition?

Our national championships started 1973 and after that it has continued annually without any breaks.

And sorry for my poor English.

Jukka