Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 29, 2010, 11:57 AM
Sloping the Financial Cliff
Reto, you should make a Wikipedia F3B page.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2010, 12:51 PM
MCS / NCSS / SVSS / LSC / SAM
Phil:

I am looking for 2 wing spar rods for my Fletcher. You wouldn't know of where I could get 2 do you?
Thanks,

Dave
Sep 29, 2010, 06:44 PM
Reto,

Don't know what I was thinking...maybe...did this guy really build this model himself?..hahahaha..the builder of the model rule was in effect, and their whole team built the models. My model there was a fully sheeted Aquila Grande

I believe the Sitar brothers built the models, and Anton did the radio install etc...it was amazing to see all the models lined up. It was a first. I believe builder of model rule was thrown out in the not to distant future.

So right when I thought the American "Gas Bag" as the Europeans called it, was dead, Lee Renaud handed me the Sagitta he design specifically for my flying style upon my return to the LSF Championship in Chicago.

We went and speed tested it, and immediately broke 10 seconds on an official course(the Grande maybe ran 13) and Gas Bags were still alive. (2laps not 4)
Dwight Holley went on to make the team flying the Sagitta, and eventually became World Champion in the following cycle with the Gobbler, I believe a Sagitta clone..amazing!

skip
Last edited by maxer; Sep 29, 2010 at 10:42 PM.
Sep 29, 2010, 08:09 PM
Play loud, Fly high
Is it time for 'Nostalgia F3B'? This is fascinating stuff. Amazing how innovative people can be when required to do things themselves. When did the winch wars end? The current rules were in effect when I started.
Sep 29, 2010, 09:23 PM
Mark LSF # 3792
Way cool to see the TELE F in operation. I was a neophite sailplaner back then and was in awe of the technology being applied, only read and saw magazine articles of the uber-tech aircraft of the day. If I remember correctly there was a full sized sailplane design that attempted to use the same concept during that same era.

Mark
Sep 29, 2010, 09:41 PM
F3X
F3X
Very Cool stuff!
I still have a very nice original Masterpiece and she still looks great and current.

hey Old guys: F3B tasks ;
2 lap speed 150m course.
12 lap distance plus 1/4 laps counted???
6 min duration??

Any scores around from the time vault?
Sep 29, 2010, 10:08 PM
Dwight Holley our country's second World Champion (1981) was a friend of mine. Unfortunately, he died at a young age from colon cancer. He designed and built the plane he won the World Championship with. He had design help from Fritz Bien. He called it the "Gobbler". It was a straight winged aileron, rudder, spoiler plane built up from balsa. It might have had an E205 airfoil? If I can find a picture of it, I will post the picture. It was kitted, and the kit manufacturer is a friend of mine. He still has about 3 new kits in the box. I almost bought one for $100, but decided it would be too much work to build. If anyone has a lot of time and patience for building, and is interested in a Gobbler kit, PM me and I will give you the details on how to acquire one.

I love F3B history. George
Last edited by SaltyOne; Sep 29, 2010 at 10:23 PM.
Sep 29, 2010, 10:59 PM
The winch wars were in full effect until the next worlds. The Gorilla winch( a VW flywheel taken up to starter motor full rpm speed incorporated into the winch) was run up before launch. THEN a clutch let you start the launch off the starter, let clutch go, and watch model(Tai Pai?) launch into orbit. Truly sensational. The Canadians took it one step further at the Worlds in Sacremento and set up there own Gorilla at base B and with a huge 150m extension cord, launched model , sometimes departing wings in the direction of B. Also sensational !

Ralf and I debated for a long time on how to control the winch, and his regulations are what was put in place(I had a simpler solution) They are what we are defined by today.

Skip
Sep 30, 2010, 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron gijzen View Post
..It was designed and built by dutchman Frits Donker Duyvis in 1995, who whon the European championship with it.
Frits Donker Duyvis is like the European version of Dr. M. Drela , taking design at max scientific levels. Amazing to hear how long he is involved in the circuit. Any chance to get more info on "Empi" ? Thx, J .
Last edited by Jurgen; Sep 30, 2010 at 04:44 AM.
Sep 30, 2010, 08:20 AM
Professional Lurker
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxer View Post
The winch wars were in full effect until the next worlds. The Gorilla winch( a VW flywheel taken up to starter motor full rpm speed incorporated into the winch) was run up before launch. THEN a clutch let you start the launch off the starter, let clutch go, and watch model(Tai Pai?) launch into orbit. Truly sensational. The Canadians took it one step further at the Worlds in Sacremento and set up there own Gorilla at base B and with a huge 150m extension cord, launched model , sometimes departing wings in the direction of B. Also sensational !

Skip
I used to have the remains of an early 1980s F3B airframe that was flown by a young pilot (Canadian?) named Carl Blake (?). I think it was called the FMF for Fast MF'er. It was specifically built for the winch wars era and was built like a tank and weighed about as much as a tank also. The interesting feature was it had a full flying T-tail that used a pull-pull control system with numerous pulleys. Maybe someone with a better memory (Skip) can fill in the blanks

Chris
Last edited by Magician; Sep 30, 2010 at 08:49 AM.
Sep 30, 2010, 09:38 AM
Yes FMF was fast....and strong. I think there is a picture of the one piece wing with him sitting on the middle of it suspended betyween two folding chairs. Fun Stuff

Skip
Sep 30, 2010, 01:44 PM
Hi Guys,

I was lucky enough to have competed in this event and the dinner on saturday night was awesome. With all of those excellent models in pristine condition on show it was truly breathtaking.

Excellent planes, excellent people.

Cheers

Rod
Oct 01, 2010, 06:16 AM
F3B and F3K
I scanned some more pictures of the F3B archive.

At the second worlds, team outfits were coming up, the austrians and swiss had cool tracksuits.

Could only find one Spartakus picture. The pilot Ruedi Binkert was a Reverend, unfortunately he died of cancer some years ago.

Rolf Girsberger helped at multiple worlds and then realized that the guys need new airfoils. So he coded the predecessor of Xfoil on his own (punchcards!) and created the RG 15, one of the most important F3B airfoils.

There are a lot of anecdotes about the swiss team at the worlds 1999 in south africa. Rudolf Schaub still likes to tell the story that the US team joined a practice session with the swiss. But while they were putting the models together, Roland Hoffman ripped off a low 14s run (unbelievably fast at the time). The US boys were so schocked that they packed their stuff and went to a bar.

Daryl, is this story true? I believe the 14 of Roland (the Masterpiece was a fast plane and still is), but the rest?

Reto
Last edited by RetoF3X; Oct 01, 2010 at 06:29 AM. Reason: typo
Oct 02, 2010, 02:51 AM
EUROPHIA PETE

A little bit of F3B history?

Hi all

OK you guys, a quick trip down Memory Lane

In 1983 I convinced my (then) employer (Supergloy/ Henkel) to sponsor the UK round of the F3B World Champs at York in the UK.

The UK team (Sean Bannister, Dave Worral, Dave Dyer and Stuart Blanchard)were kitted out in matching blue and red tracksuits by us with red Supergloy peaked caps and featured in all Supergloy advertising that year.

Geoff Dallimer was event organiser, George Stringwell was CD and I was a helper (mainly for the Swiss Team)

A chap called Dieter Pfefferkon flew the "extending wing", and most photographed, model. a chap called Rolf Decker was top scorer

This was the last international F3B series where the UK team used glass fuselages and glassed foam wings (Worral - Plus Max, Bannister - Algebra 8 and Blanchard - Calypso 9)

High points.....

The smell of chocolate drifting over the Knavesmire racecourse site all day from the Fry's chocolate factory upwind

The Israeli team winching the pork pies they had been given in their packed lunches trying to hit the Holiday Inn car park just off the course

George Stringwell lecturing us helpers before the comp not to act as freelance spotters for (their) teams only to do that very thing while standing beside the Swiss entry (and me) The Swiss pilot launched instantly and "maxed-out"

Rolf Decker's tx with switches fitted in the stick ends - first time seen in the UK

The USA team giving away free cold beer all day to anyone exceptTeam USA

The after-comp barbecue at SeanB's house where Dwight Holley (so sadly missed ) analysed all the UK's failings provoking great hilarity as he gave a waspish sense of humour full rein

Those were indeed the days - we'll never see the like again for sure

Wistfully

Pete
Oct 02, 2010, 07:27 AM
In F3J size does matter!
In 1993 I saw an F3B competition gliders for the very first time at the world championship in Israel. My local club organized a trip to see the last day of competition which ended up with the speed task. I remember that the world record was broken several times during that day.
I was in my early teens during that WC and was focused on power models and aerobatics. After seeing these beautiful shiny gliders launch to the moon and fly speed runs at speeds over 150 kph I was hooked and a few years later I purchased an “Eagle”. F3B eventually ran out of steam in Israel but F3J took its place and in 2000 I used that Eagle to get into the F3J team and compete in the world champs in Corfu.

A magazine was issued after the 1993 WC to commemorate the event, I still have it so I took some pics for you, Enjoy.