to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2017, 11:04 AM
Balsa breaks better
I can add to this . . .

Joe
Oct 31, 2017, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil.Taylor
Thanks - interesting stuff there - and a video of the legendary Tele-F - amazing

I've just got another piece of F3B history, a "Fletcher"
and I also have a T-tailed version of the "Masterpiece"

Phil.
The Fletcher resembles a "SRTL".
Oct 31, 2017, 06:42 PM
Morologus es

From 1986 - pic in 1991

Blast from the past.

Me in 1991 in Taiwan with a Sigma II.

Designed by Chris Greengrass and myself, fuselage plug made by me; vac bagged ply over blue foam wings.

It was a force to be reckoned with in its day. Flew very well indeed despite no flaps!

How did we ever land with all that ballast?

Doc J.
Oct 31, 2017, 07:11 PM
Fletcher pics...

Lucky enough to find a new one earlier this year. It’s in transit to Aus now. Also picked up a Synergy V for a restoration project. Pics as I progress!!

Cheers
Ian
Nov 01, 2017, 01:08 AM
Balsa breaks better

Vote!!!!

I hope this note finds you all well my friends. I know you guys have voted but Wally has asked use to nudge our friends, so nudge, nudge. I also know you guys have contacts I don't so please pass it along, thank you.

2017 Officers Election Status
Folks,
46 Folks have voted out of ~1300+ email sent or a smidge better than 3%.

Please nudge your buds in your clubs and go to www.silenflight.org - click on the elections link and vote! When you vote I will email back confirming your vote.

The election committee
Nov 08, 2017, 08:18 PM

Eugenio Pagliano - Vevi 75

Hello to all,

I am the lucky owner of a Vevi. It was built by two local gentlemen Bob Hicks and Troy Lawicki (who did the layup). I also have a full set of plans. The airfoil is relatively thin with some under-camber. Flaps and ailerons are part of the design and yes the articulated rudder is present.

It's a big span two piece wing, the fuse is short. It needs a good amount of rudder to fly a good turn. The speed range is fantastic for 40+ yr old design, and lands as good as any F3J glider. I am working on a ballast system.

The first Vevi's where flown in Italy from 1973 on in different versions, mine is from 1975. I have all the correspondence paper between Eugenio and Bob.

I will post some pics (weather permitting, snow storm on the way).

Peter
Aug 24, 2019, 01:07 PM
F3B and F3K
Thread OP

Rest in peace, LeMon Payne

I am sad to report that LeMon Payne passed away Sunday Aug 11th 2019. LeMon was a 1970's member of our club, Dallas League of Silent Flight- now Soaring League of North Texas. LeMon was a gifted sailplane flyer.

He was one of the three members of the USA F3B team competing in the first world FAI F3B world championship at Petoria South Africa in 1977. The US team consisted of LeMon Payne. Dale Nutter. and Skip Miller, who won I'st place.

The photo shows the US F3B team from right to Ieft LeMon Payne with his 140” Legionair, Skip Miller with his 100" Aquila. and Dale Nutter with his 134" Grand Esprit. Kneeling rt Dan Pruss Team Mgr, left Dave Thornberg tow man.

According to Bill Maserang of the Dallas SLNT club, LeMon flew the fastest speed run at the 1977 F3B worlds, in the 12s with a built up airplane. This was in the days were you flew two laps (to Base B and back), but still pretty fast for such a ship. I would love if Skip Miller could chime in with some stories.

LeMon came to the F3J team selections we held a few years ago near Dallas, so some may still have met him there.

best,
Reto
Latest blog entry: thoughts on contest flying

Quick Reply