Feb 06, 2016, 08:31 PM
I would love to add a Spartikus (spelled right?) and a Dassel to my collection, the Spartikus was an absolutely beautiful ship, I saw a section of the wing and was amazed at how it was built.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2016, 03:16 AM
dare to thermal
Spartakus seems to be now build by Mibo (http://www.mibomodeli.com/where-buy.html)
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...tacus-von-Mibo

And a new Dassel you can get from Martin Weberschock:
http://www.weberschock-development.de/enfmb/
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...ck-Development

/Bernd
Feb 07, 2016, 10:29 AM
What a GREAT idea to get folks to bring some of these historic airframes together at the Gator and possibly demo some of them!!! That would be AWESOME... I LIKE IT!

Sandy Smith
Feb 11, 2016, 11:48 PM

Great stuff.

I'm really enjoying the thread, I was involved in F3B flying in the 80's, but gave it up when the own build requirement was removed, I took up full size instead.

In the lead up to the York WC I was a helper for the South Australian F3B team, who were determined to go as a team. As I recall they were: Mike Oreilly, Greg Dale, Brian Alexander, Richard Tapp and Stefan Smith.

I remember Stefan Smith well, (truly great F3b pilot) and can relate some history re his design of the Marjali, and it's radical ancestor, the Thor.

Stefan designed Thor based on a radical article by Martin Simons, who postulated a fully symmetrical airfoil for use in the 2 lap speed, 12 lap distance 6 min duration rules. The idea was dist and duration were a given, and winning speed was essential. The Deal was to fly the second speed lap inverted, using a bunt turn.

The Thor was the basis for the Marjali, which was a Thor with an E193 airfoil.
Sadly, at the Sacremento WC, the Australian teams (petrol lawn mower motor) winches were way behind, and Thor certainly needed a good launch.

The Thor was the first model to use a nose cone rather than a canopy, likely inspired by Gary Sunderlands MOBA full size sailplane.

The whole team flew the 193 Marjali at York, sadly Stefan chances were ruined by repeated servo failures, later traced to static from the wing carry bag removal!

The Marjali fuse ended up being used with many different designs, I made a couple myself, the most successful of which was based on Deckers no name model, except using HQ 1.5/8 rather than 2.0/9 on the original. It also followed the Decker idea of having a thicker section at the tip, in my case HQ 1.5/9. (Later I learned Decker did this is to keep the hinge line a relatively constant thickness, so as to use arrow shafts along the hinge line)

I managed to win a round at the Aus National with it, but broke it in the next round sadly. It was a lovely model, very easy to fly, but rather too flexible, I still remember the people freaking at how much the wings bent on launch!

Another memory, is beating Mike Oreilly in a distance task, mike spoke to me after, he was flying a Samun, and said he was trying to hard, but couldn't keep up, I wish I could claim it was my skill, but sadly it wasn't!

Some years later I saw Greg Dale do the fastest 2 lap speed run I ever saw, 6.2 sec, with a HQ equipped Marjali, just for fun at the end of the comp.

I think the end for me was watching Nic Wright fly rolling circles with the Electra at Vic park in Adelaide, how can you match that! I still have his notes from his lecture on F3B model design.

Will put up some pics soon!
Feb 12, 2016, 12:01 AM
Thermal Wrangler

Marjali and Nic Wright

A rattling good read, thanks for sharing and welcome to RC Groups.

There's bits of a Marjali still buried in Spreyton Racecourse (Tasmania) courtesy of Bruce Nye . A very fast model apparently.

Assuming you haven't seen it, Andy Mac took some great footage of Nic Wright's visit:

Nic Wright F3B flying technique demonstration - Adelaide 1996 (34 min 10 sec)
Feb 12, 2016, 02:10 AM
Yep, that's the day, I was walking across the park at the 8 minute mark.
Lots of familiar faces, including Simon Morris and Manny Stoupos, who were SA team members too.
My favourite memory of the era was giving the Vics a damned good thrashing at their own state comp.
Nic's flying blew my mind!
Thanks for that!
Feb 12, 2016, 08:24 AM
F3B and F3K
Welcome to rcgroups Falconell and thanks for your story. Please post some pictures of the Marjali and your designs if you can. You guys were not the only ones thinking of a plane with a symmetric airfoil (to fly bunt turns for turning and flying a lap inverted). I remember there was a french design by Marcel Guwang that was aiming at the same. What a wild idea.

@Chris: great video of Nic Wright flying the Electra. One can clearly see that the Electra was a fast model for its day and get also a taste of Nic Wrights flying skills.
In post #54 there is another video from the 1993 world champs of Nic Wright flying the Electra:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&postcount=54 The last two laps on the deck...

I enjoy reading all the stories here, so keep em coming.

Best,
Reto
Last edited by RetoF3X; Feb 12, 2016 at 08:31 AM.
Feb 12, 2016, 07:53 PM
A few shots.
The bare wood wing was the Decker no name copy, the fuse and tails originated from the original Thor.
The white wing was my second version, with double taper planform.
The orange wing is a Model Flight Europa, developed by Mike O for the Waikeire worlds.
The black and white is me with a Dassel in the South Park.
Can't find a shot of the standard wing, but these used Marjali fuse.
Last edited by Falconell; Feb 12, 2016 at 08:00 PM.
Dec 19, 2016, 08:46 AM
UAS Test Pilot

Two parts of F3B history.

Earlier this year I visited an old friend of mine and both him, and the plane is a part of F3B history. Can you guess which plane it is?

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this great thread. I have never flown F3B myself, nor have I seen a competition live. Reading about F3B as a kid is what got me interessted in gliders, and I have since represented my country in both F3F and F3K. Competing in these classes I have got to meet many of the F3B "heroes" I had when growing up. Unfortunately F3B is now dead as a class in Norway. Have a nice Christmas everyone.

Kind regards

Kjell-Sture Johansen.
Dec 20, 2016, 08:36 AM
F3B and F3K
Hi Kjell

I take a guess:

The fuselage looks like an "Avant Butterfly" from Jaro Mueller (one of the first commercially available moulded planes). That plane also had a one piece wing (what a pain...) But the wing shape does not match. Maybe a later version?

Or is it a copy of Ralf Decker's NoName aircraft?

I heard Espen has a nice collection of vintage F3B planes.

Best,
Reto
Last edited by RetoF3X; Dec 21, 2016 at 10:52 AM.
Dec 20, 2016, 04:40 PM
Everything's A Compromise
Is that an Impulse from Roland Sommer?
Last edited by Larrikin; Dec 20, 2016 at 08:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Dec 21, 2016, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin
Is that an Impulse from Roland Sommer?
No, fuselage was skinnier and wings were single tapered. I had 2 of them.
Dec 21, 2016, 10:23 AM
Looks incredibly close to an F3B Jewel that I have, except mine has an actual canopy rather then a slip on nose cone. The wing setup is as the Jewel where it is a two piece wing where the wing halves come together offset from the center and then the wing bolts tonthe fuse. Here is a couple pictures of it.
Dec 21, 2016, 08:54 PM
Back in 1994 Chis Kaiser and myself designed the 'Mantis' for F3B competition in New Zealand.
Mine was the prototype and featured a 1200mm center section with (quite heavy) uni carbon and 45 bias
glass cloth vac-bagged over it. No spar.... but it was bullet proof on the launch

The tips were done in layered S-glass with sub-ribs to take the joiners.

It did reasonably well in local competition, I think it gained Chris a second place in F3B at the National
Champs and I managed to take the New Zealand distance record in January 1998 and again in
September 1998 (on that day, co-holding the record with David James from Palmerston North)
Last edited by SlowMotion27; Dec 21, 2016 at 09:06 PM.
Dec 21, 2016, 09:36 PM
Me and my Tiros, picture from 1988 = 28 years ago