Nov 10, 2014, 09:20 PM
Some of those F3B ships are beautiful. Shame we don't quite see the individualism in designs as used to be the case. I know today's ships are awesome in function too. Just sayin'

Jim
to remove ads between posts
Nov 12, 2014, 01:31 AM
Hi,

On the last photo of the F3b French TEAM , in front and squatting, the helpers :
At left and right : Serge PRUDHOMME, Franck LEGOU, Christian CRAVERO
Franck Legou was only 15 years, his first WC
Last edited by STEFMOG; Aug 28, 2015 at 04:51 AM.
Nov 12, 2014, 03:20 AM

Algebra f3b

I find a photo of the ALGEBRA, used by Sean at BANISTER at the World Championships of York in 1983.

The Algebra Mk2 with span 3 m, is the first F3B model that I bought , when I knew nothing about the category F3B !!!

It was the beginning of a long passion for these models and for F3B
Last edited by STEFMOG; Dec 04, 2014 at 03:23 AM.
Dec 28, 2014, 04:09 AM
dare to thermal
Was looking for more details on the Dassel and Sitar Special, but found this wonderful page:
http://rc-model.rajce.idnes.cz/F3B,_...no_zacalo_.../
Feb 17, 2015, 09:00 AM
F3B and F3K
F3F and F3B combined nordic championship 1973 in Denmark:

1973 F3F/F3B Nordic Championship in Denmark (12 min 49 sec)

Let's keep this amazing thread rolling. I really appreciate all the pictures and information that people have been posting here.

Best,
Reto
Sep 28, 2015, 08:51 PM
F3B and F3K

40th Oktoberfest Pokal F3B

At the 40th Oktoberfest Pokal F3B in Munich last weekend, one competitor flew with a Dassel (won the WC in 1979, so an over 36 years old design).
Albeit it was outclassed in all 6 F3B disciplines (duration, distance, speed and launch, launch, launch), it performed respectably and the owner squeezed all out of it.

Then we were treated by a flight demonstration of the TeleF by Decker/Pfefferkorn.

Ralph started the plane with full wingspan (3.20m), then retracted the wings to 2.20m for a simulated speed run, extended them again and landed. Very cool and all was live commented by Weberschock interviewing Dieter Pfefferkorn, who came out to the contest place.

Very nice to see both of these planes in action.

Best,
Reto
Last edited by RetoF3X; Oct 01, 2015 at 01:18 PM.
Sep 29, 2015, 12:14 PM
What a wonderful bit of history!

I remember clearly attending the first world championships in 1977, I was still at school but as the event was held at my local club I was there and watched every flight!

For many years after that F3B was my main focus, moving from an Aquila to fully molded planes.

Good times, thanks for the memories!

Rudi
Sep 29, 2015, 01:09 PM
Mark LSF # 3792
Wow, I remember seeing pics of the TeleF in our local magazines, back in the day. Must have been cool to watch it fly in person Reto.

Mark
Sep 30, 2015, 05:57 AM
Reading this thread made a lot of good memories flood back. In the late 70's and early 80's I was a keen F3B enthusiast here in South Africa. It was great flying at the local club with the guys who did well in the 1977 World Championships as well as the team that won in 1979.

I started with an Aquila and then later went on to a Sagitta that I really liked. From there I developed my own but based on the Sagitta proportions.

The plane that I came up with, the Photon and later the Photon 2 were 3m planes with build-up but fully sheated wings. The wings had internal kevlar/carbon reinforcements to withstand the winch launches they were exposed to.

I had 2 versions of the plane, a lighter version with polyhedral wings and basic R/E/S controls. The second version was a lot stronger with straight wings equipped with ailerons and a lot of space in the wings for ballast. The airfoils used were Eppler 205's with the last Photon, the 2C using a thinned version of the 205.

I had reasonable success with these planes, doing well enough in the local contests to be invited to the team trails for the 1983 world championships.

They were also reasonable planes for TD contests and I used them to win the local TD Postal championships in 1981 as well as other TD kind of contests.

Anyway, old history. In 1990 I got rid of most of my model aircraft other than a few special large scale models, these were put into storage in 1998 when I went on a long sailing trip. They have been in storage since then.

With me recently renewed interest in RC gliding I went around to the storage area this morning to see what I had left. Great was my surprise when I found that I did not get rid of all my gliders! Amongst the the few left were a polyhedral Photon 1 and a flat wing F3B Photon 2C, still in good condition!

I am planning on getting them back into the air just for fun, new covering, new radio installation and away we go!

If it was not for this thread I would never have gone to look
Last edited by Rudix; Sep 30, 2015 at 06:45 AM.
Oct 01, 2015, 12:51 PM
I currently fly this little gem, a Hans Muller Cobra. It's a bit more work for TD work but I enjoy this sailplane more then any others I have owned.
Oct 01, 2015, 02:31 PM
Reto, those are some wonderful nostalgia pictures from Munich!! Liese launching Decker with TeleF...could have been right out of the 83 WC!!
Oct 01, 2015, 02:51 PM
F3B and F3K
@ Aaron: yes, except that the TeleF was only ready for the 85 worlds in Australia but they did not use it (Ralf flew the NonName instead). Nevertheless it was a treat to see this exceptional plane fly. Ralf once showed me the blueprints and calculations that went into this design, this was a serious engineering job.

@ Rudi: I am glad that this thread inspired you to re-discover your F3B models. Please report when you got them airborne again.

@Mark: The TeleF is really a technological marvel and works like a swiss clockwork, very impressive (see also video in the first post). The speed run with the short stubby wings looked funny, as the tails and fuselage looked way to big. But it goes.

Best,
Reto
Last edited by RetoF3X; Oct 01, 2015 at 03:08 PM.
Oct 01, 2015, 07:22 PM
Ahh, missed it by 2 years
Feb 05, 2016, 12:15 PM
dare to thermal
a gold mine:

http://www.f3news.fr/t9754-historique-du-planeur-f3b
Feb 05, 2016, 02:11 PM
yyz
yyz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernd Brunner View Post
Nice one! Google Translate does a decent job of it too for the parlez-vous challenged.
Last edited by yyz; Feb 05, 2016 at 02:17 PM.