Aug 25, 2019, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingV
Thanks guys! Yeah the added wing spar was the first mod... Then the Nav Lights
Just got home from flying my Gen 1 Grand Cruiser. This model has given me every grief possible in its repertoire and continues to do so to this day, but so far every time I manage to get it into the air, it rewards me with a great flight and a smooth landing! I can't hate it for loving it!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 02, 2019, 01:37 PM
PSALM 14:1
Anyone have a new or excellent used fuselage they'd like to sell?

PM me if so...
Sep 02, 2019, 06:59 PM
I have one ordered, and am reading thru and compiling a list of fixes. I learned a lot about Dynam when I got my PBY.......it has no central spar! I found that the stainless tubing from the wifes wallyworld solar yard lights was a perfect fit to join the l and r spars. Drilled thru with my 1/4" aircraft drill (12" long), got lucky and hit the other side!) I need to order some CF for the spar. I think the flat strips installed vertically work best and install the easiest. What size am I looking for? What about these?
https://www.amazon.com/Carbon-Strips...ateway&sr=8-35
Thanks
Sep 11, 2019, 10:36 AM
I keep seeing guys using Callies Graphics, but after a search using Dynam and Cessna on her site I don't see any. I sent an email, haven't heard back yet. Are you just using custom ones?
Sep 11, 2019, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekit500
I keep seeing guys using Callies Graphics, but after a search using Dynam and Cessna on her site I don't see any. I sent an email, haven't heard back yet. Are you just using custom ones?
The one time I needed graphics I had a very positive experience with Callie graphics, and it was a custom job. We communicated via email. She actually blew up a set of decals from a small plastic kit to the size I needed for my Lear 45. She sent me a full size mock up that I was able to print out and hold up to my plane for size. It was perfect and she sent me a whole set of self adhesive decals for a very reasonable cost. If you can tell her or show her what you want, she can help you.
Sep 12, 2019, 05:28 PM
Just unboxed my Grand Cruiser and found the assembly instructions to be a little wanting.. lol A couple of questions: 1) Is there a list of recommended modifications anywhere and 2) I see there are wires & connectors to hook up the Nav lights. I have no idea how &/or what I need to connect these up correctly and get them working. Again, is there a thread here that covers this installation?? Thanks, Ron
Sep 12, 2019, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papo_60
Just unboxed my Grand Cruiser and found the assembly instructions to be a little wanting.. lol A couple of questions: 1) Is there a list of recommended modifications anywhere and 2) I see there are wires & connectors to hook up the Nav lights. I have no idea how &/or what I need to connect these up correctly and get them working. Again, is there a thread here that covers this installation?? Thanks, Ron
Do you have version 1 or version 2? Either way, read the thread, but even better go to Motion RC's in house forums and read them. I had a lot of problems with version one, including the lights, which have no connectors on them and run on lower voltage then supplied thru the rx. V2 lights supposedly HAVE connectors and can be plugged into the rx which will power them when it is powered.
Sep 12, 2019, 05:44 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzir
Do you have version 1 or version 2? Either way, read the thread, but even better go to Motion RC's in house forums and read them. I had a lot of problems with version one, including the lights, which have no connectors on them and run on lower voltage then supplied thru the rx. V2 lights supposedly HAVE connectors and can be plugged into the rx which will power them when it is powered.
I must have version 0, Zero. I have no lights whatsoever...
Sep 12, 2019, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocg
I must have version 0, Zero. I have no lights whatsoever...
OK, what exactly do you have? Where/when did you buy it? Does it have servos? Are there flap servos? Motors/esc's? Retracts?
Sep 12, 2019, 06:10 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Quote:
OK, what exactly do you have? Where/when did you buy it? Does it have servos? Are there flap servos? Motors/esc's? Retracts?
Oh yeah..!! A long time ago my NY friend.!!
My first twin... ! 2011..!!
On some planes I will put the date.. Here on the fuse you will see 062511.. I was assembling this aircraft when my cousin called me with news of my aunt "Ginger" passing.. So you will see.. My latest flight with it was maybe 6 weeks ago...
Sep 12, 2019, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocg
Oh yeah..!! A long time ago my NY friend.!!
My first twin... ! 2011..!!
On some planes I will put the date.. Here on the fuse you will see 062511.. I was assembling this aircraft when my cousin called me with news of my aunt "Ginger" passing.. So you will see.. My latest flight with it was maybe 6 weeks ago...
Sorry Cocg! I thought I was responding to the other guy, but I was mistaken. Your GC is beautiful with the custom paint! MY CG. on the other hand, was a PITA V1 which I struggled mightily with before getting it to fly, then I crashed it to pieces (literally!) that I glued back together and it still flies beautifully but it isn't too pretty up close. After the crash, I replaced the motor shafts. Along the way, I got new lights that work nicely and replaces most if not all of the retracts and now they usually work, plus I did the flap install and I like it.
Sep 14, 2019, 09:38 PM
Quote:
I believe I have Verizon 2 as it came with the retracts already mounted, the flaps are working with hinges & servos installed. The Motors, ESC’s & retracts are all mounted and wired. There are connectors on the lights along with some wires & connector block I guess for connecting the lights. I will read the 2 forums you suggested but it is going to take a bit of time as they are very long. I am from upstate NY so as winter approaches I will soon have a great deal of time to build/repair my planes... lol.

I was hoping that someone has generated a schematic with instructions for wiring the NAV lights and adding (mounting/wiring) some landing lights. Also, I see that there is only an led in the vertical stab with no wire going to it. Hopefully someone has determined the best way to fish some wires thru it and add a working led there. I see in some of the videos on this forum where people that have done this but no explanation how? Also, I see some suggestions on where to buy the led NAV lights & landing lights (motion RC & HobbyKing) but they were suggested some time ago and want to make sure there are no better options now.

I really like the looks of this plane with the blinking nave lights & landing lights that come on when the retracts come down. There were some help on how to mount the micro switch but no instructions on what other hardware is needed & how to wire along with where to get the power source from. I would guess the voltage would be too high if connecting directly to the battery!! Thanks for any other suggestions you may have. Thanks, Ron
Last edited by Papo_60; Sep 14, 2019 at 09:44 PM.
Sep 14, 2019, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papo_60
I believe I have Verizon 2 as it came with the retracts already mounted, the flaps are working with hinges & servos installed. The Motors, ESCís & retracts are all mounted and wired. There are connectors on the lights along with some wires & connector block I guess for connecting the lights. I will read the 2 forums you suggested but it is going to take a bit of time as they are very long. I am from upstate NY so as winter approaches I will soon have a great deal of time to build/repair my planes... lol.

I was hoping that someone has generated a schematic with instructions for wiring the NAV lights and adding (mounting/wiring) some landing lights. Also, I see that there is only an led in the vertical stab with no wire going to it. Hopefully someone has determined the best way to fish some wires thru it and add a working led there. I see in some of the videos on this forum where people that have done this but no explanation how? Also, I see some suggestions on where to buy the led NAV lights & landing lights (motion RC & HobbyKing) but they were suggested some time ago and want to make sure there are no better options now.

I really like the looks of this plane with the blinking nave lights & landing lights that come on when the retracts come down. There were some help on how to mount the micro switch but no instructions on what other hardware is needed & how to wire along with where to get the power source from. I would guess the voltage would be too high if connecting directly to the battery!! Thanks for any other suggestions you may have. Thanks, Ron
Ron, if you have V2 you should be in good shape as far as the lights and all go, but I am saying that based on what I read. I had to do it the hard way as I had V1 and when I put connectors on the LED's that it came with and plugged them into the rx, they pretty much burned out. I found a set of lights that Motion RC was selling for very reasonable money and bought it. It had more lights than I needed and there was no way to deflash the flashy ones but I was able to set up nav lights in the wing tips and the rotating beacon in the fin and since I had it I added a rotating beacon to the belly. They are all on when the battery is plugged in. I did not do anything to simulate any landing light.

I am in NY too, close to Poughkeepsie and Newburgh. I am aware of good clubs in the Binghamton area and in fact I have flown with a few of them at Chenango Bridge airport and also Modelers of Binghamton at their float fly. If you haven't done it already I suggest you locate and join a club. Most are looking for new members and are more than happy to help someone with their airplanes.
Sep 20, 2019, 03:37 PM
**WARNING My rudder and elev control horns are breaking! While I'm putting it TOGETHER! I have flexed the elevator back and forth several times, it is ok. While setting up the radio the horn broke. Not over-driven, just junk. Pics below. Anyone else seeing this?

And on another note...Not sure if my GC was put together right. Looking down into the plane, my elev servo was on the right and rud servo on the left with the nose gear rod crossing over where all that wiring needs to go. I am putting in MG servos and decided to swap them. Now the area is open for the wires. I shoved some foam into the slots behind the rear window and glued them to secure the rod sleeves as well as where the elev and rud rod sleeves cross.. Also made a little foam cover so the servos are shielded from the wires.
Sep 20, 2019, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekit500
**WARNING My rudder and elev control horns are breaking! While I'm putting it TOGETHER! I have flexed the elevator back and forth several times, it is ok. While setting up the radio the horn broke. Not over-driven, just junk. Pics below. Anyone else seeing this?

And on another note...Not sure if my GC was put together right. Looking down into the plane, my elev servo was on the right and rud servo on the left with the nose gear rod crossing over where all that wiring needs to go. I am putting in MG servos and decided to swap them. Now the area is open for the wires. I shoved some foam into the slots behind the rear window and glued them to secure the rod sleeves as well as where the elev and rud rod sleeves cross.. Also made a little foam cover so the servos are shielded from the wires.
Well, I thought I had every problem there was to have with my GC, but you got one that I didn't have. I doubt the control horn was broken by the pushrod. Either you got defective ones, or the assembler who screwed on the quick connect overtightened the nut and crushed it. If you can use a hole closer to the surface, I would do that, just be careful not to overtighten, and if it is not a lock type nut, be sure to use thread locker. If you can't use them, I don't envy you having to pull out the broken ones and glue in some new ones. Dynam planes are known to fly great, but their quality has been called into question many times by many people.

Quick Reply