Kyosho 40 Spitfire II Conversion - Page 6 - RC Groups
Jul 27, 2003, 01:10 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
After dinner I glued the servo trays into both servo compartments. I had to reglue the first brass bushing I had previous done. Because the guide hole was in the middle of the CA hinge slot it wasn't strong enough. I removed the guide bushing and wicked thin CA into the slots then I re-epoxied the brass guide bushing and used the long control arm to keep it aligned.

While that was setting I worked on the other wing. This time I did something different. I hooked up the servo to the rod with the guide bushing and then applied epoxy to the servo tray and bushing. I set the bushing into the hole and then installed the servo tray and hooked up the drive shaft to the servo. This aligns things perfectly. I CAed the cut hinge slot before inserting the brass bushing and put some Vaseline on the shaft to prevent any epoxy get into the bushing.

After it set I saw that I should have set the bushing below the TE surface as the curve of the wire hangs up on the edge of the bushing and is hard to twist. I think I will put a driill bit on the bushing ends and grind off a millimeter.

A lot of work for an ARF eh! Maybe I can use this experience one day when build a 30 cell Spit
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2003, 01:12 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Here is the bottom left wing. I was able to cut the pocket slot in this aileron tonight and glue in the pocket wit a little epoxy.

I still have to drill the holes for the servo mount.
Jul 27, 2003, 01:14 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Here is the servo hatch. There will be 4 tiny screws in the corners that I will paint to match the cover. Looks nice without that external linkage.
Jul 27, 2003, 02:00 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
those things look great. I am not real familiar with how they work. Is it possible to mecahnically adjust the throws or do you have to do it electronically?

Kirby
Jul 27, 2003, 08:45 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
You can't mechanically adjust them. You can get more deflection by using a different shaft with a 45 or 90deg bend. They use those for flaps. The Spit doesn't require a lot of throw on the ailerons, only 9/16" deflection each way. I'll use the radio to set the EPA to reduce the throws.

Kelvin
Jul 27, 2003, 09:10 AM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Kelvin,
Great looking modification !! It looks teriffic without the linkage sticking out. Your execution is immaculate !
Ed
Jul 27, 2003, 04:27 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester

Spitfire Video in the Gallery

I'm still researching geting a new PC to make videos. So I went to the Dallas Apple Store. All the Macs have iMovie 3 and are equiped with firewire and have wireless broadband connection to the internet. I took my Canon ZR60 and plugged it into several of the Mac models to try it out and saved a Quicktime movie of a flight from last April. Using their wireless internet connection I uploaded it to Ezone. Haven't made up my mind which kind of computer to get but the 12" Powerbook was pretty nice.

Video has a good take off lousey landing.

Its in the Gallery section. Im surprise there was a 2m limit on the file size so the movie is small but you get the idea.

Listen to one of the glow guys as it takes off. Nice complement.

It was a windy day so there is a lot of wind noise and some glow powered noise.

http://rcgallery.net/showphoto.php?p...t=1&thecat=500

Kelvin
Last edited by kelvin; Jul 27, 2003 at 04:37 PM.
Jul 27, 2003, 04:42 PM
Purple power
good video Kelvin
Jul 28, 2003, 11:17 AM
FAA
FAA
Master Model Collector
Nice takeoff Kelvin.

Now I see what you mean about "too conservative in your flying".

My aircraft (scale and not), must "earn" their keep ! They get a lot more of a work out.

Nice save on the landing. I would have done a go around if I where you, but I think you salvaged it very nicely.

Can't wait to see your new one fly !

Nick
Jul 28, 2003, 01:36 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Quote:
Originally posted by FAA
Nice takeoff Kelvin.

My aircraft (scale and not), must "earn" their keep !
Nick
Hey, I did do a 4 point (sloppy) roll and a roll at the top of a loop at SEFF. Course Gary Wright was next to me giving me verbal advice

I like to say my conservative flying is "scale-like". Bring your 109 to NEAT and we'll do a Battle of Britain show.

Kelvin
Jul 28, 2003, 10:41 PM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Quote:
Originally posted by FAA
Nice takeoff Kelvin.

My aircraft (scale and not), must "earn" their keep ! They get a lot more of a work out.

Nice save on the landing. I would have done a go around if I where you, but I think you salvaged it very nicely.

Can't wait to see your new one fly !

Nick

Geeze Nick,
Don't praise Kelvin's flying him so much ....... he will get the big head.
Ed
Jul 29, 2003, 10:22 AM
FAA
FAA
Master Model Collector

I thougth I could take a few frendly "jabs" at him !

The thread was getting a bit too serious !
Jul 31, 2003, 11:57 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Glued the retract mounts to the ribs the other night and tonight I drilled the holes for the retracts, installed the retracts and hooked up the servo, valve and tank. This is pretty much like the first thread.
Aug 01, 2003, 12:02 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Retracts in the extended postion. I'm pretty close to finishing now. I need to cut the cooling hole in the cowl and then I can start the cosmetics. I'll use the canopy from Spit I.

I'm still waiting for the receiver. I decided to buy a new one from Hobby People, $53 + shipping. It's not scheduled to arrive until Monday.

I did some weighing tonight. It looks like this plane will come in between 6lbs 8 oz to 6lbs 10oz with the Lipos, same as Spit 1.

Kelvin
Aug 02, 2003, 06:38 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
I"m going to install retract doors. Here are the parts. 1/16" ply cut so the grain runs parallel to the strut. The plastic struct rod is 7/32" with an ID of 5/32. Its plastic tubing found in the model train section of the hobby store in the area that sells parts for scratchbuilding model buildings. The parts are from Evergreen.

On the plastic tubing is a plastic piece shaped like a squared off U. It provides a way for the ply door to be glued on.

I'll attach the doors to the plastic strut, slip them on the retract metal strut and line them up with the gear in the retracted position.

I tried 15 minute epoxy and after a couple hours found it didnt' hold the ply and plastic together. Now I'm trying Goop. If that doesn't work then I'll try thick CA.