Jan 22, 2006, 04:20 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Kyosho has rereleased the Spitfire. Has anyone seen one? Who sells them?
DavidN
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2006, 04:21 AM
Seen the new ones on sale yesterday at Als hobbies near me, price 98.....Martin
Jan 30, 2008, 10:36 AM
Is this plane still flying? Would you mind bringing it the next time you come out to Rowlett feild? I'd like to take a closer look at it. I'm thinking about buying a spit in the near future.

Steven C.
Dec 22, 2017, 07:43 AM

Electric Conversion

This is a very old thread, but I just got this model from a club member. I am converting it to electric like Kelvin did. So far I have cut the hatch and installed the ailerons and tail feathers. I am now installing the motor and found a few issues.
  1. Horizontal and vertical lines were already drawn on the face of the firewall. However, they were not in the proper location. I used these line to initially mount the motor and got bad results when I mounted the cowl.
  2. The vertical line was off to the right by about 1/4 inch to setup right thrust and not in line with the vertical stabilizer. There was already 1-2 degrees of right thrust built into the firewall so this offset was not required.
  3. The horizontal line was draw about 1/4 inch above the thrust line to setup down thrust. This offset resulted in about 5 degrees of down thrust.
  4. Both of these line are too far off the thrust line and result in excessive right and down thrust when the motor shaft is lined up in the center of the cowl. They appear to be sloppily drawn and improper.
I will mount the motor to the firewall to get 1-2 degrees of right thrust and 1-2 degrees of down thrust.
-Vic

BTW - the cowl is painted green and does not match the paint scheme on the plane.
Dec 22, 2017, 11:05 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Hi. What motor/prop are you planning on? 3 degrees right thrust may be required with a lot of systems. No idea about the downthrust for this.
Could fading with age be part of the reason for the colour discrepancy?
Dec 22, 2017, 02:29 PM
Hello David. I did not expect such a quick reply to this old thread. Thanks for the reply.

I am probably going with a 13 x 8 MAS prop. I agree that some planes and power systems fly better with more right thrust. Some even work better with a lot of down thrust. That is why I was shooting for about 2 degrees in both directions. As for the color of the cowl, I doubt if it has discolored with age. The green color of the cowl shows in some of the photos in this thread and is not a good match for the covering. The instructions say to use some of the extra covering provided to camo cover the cowl. I don't think this type of "stick-on" covering will do well on the curved surfaces of the cowl.
-Vic
Dec 22, 2017, 02:46 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Yeah a 13x8 will have a lot more torque than the original 10x6/7 with glow.
Dec 23, 2017, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN
Could fading with age be part of the reason for the colour discrepancy?
As you can see from this photo, the color of the cowl does not come close to the colors of the covering. I don't think I will be able to show this model until I repaint the cowl. I will try to mix up some paint to match the dark color in the camo of the covering.
-Vic
Dec 24, 2017, 12:36 PM

Cowl Paint Color

I found a few colors of acrylic paint that, when mixed, came out to something closer to the colors in the covering. It is a bit darker but it is in the correct hue. Here you can see the original green color vs my new mixed paint color. I also found some brown that is pretty close so I will complete the camo painting of the cowl with the new brown.
Dec 27, 2017, 06:49 AM

Canopy

I took a stab at painting the frame of the canopy with a small paint brush. The results were so bad that I quickly washed the acrylic paint off. I think the best way will be to mask off the windows on the inside and spray paint the frame areas.
Anyone know a good way to paint the frame areas on the clear canopy?
-Vic
Jan 07, 2018, 06:42 AM

Canopy

I am going to use some black pin stripes - much easier but not so scale looking. I have experimented with the stripes on the inside and out side. It is very hard to get them in the correct position from the inside. Since this is an electric version, the outside application may be OK.
Jan 07, 2018, 06:52 AM

Power System

I made a quick check to see if my used Scorpion 4020-8 motor was still in good working order. I just put on a spare 12 x 6 APC prop that had been reamed to the correct size. I got the following with a 4S 30C Lipo:
- 55.1 Amps
- 14.3 Volts
- 788 Watts
That was a pleasant surprise. I get 900 Watts with the same motor on another plane with a 13 x 8 APC prop. With an AUW of 5.5 pounds, 788 watts gives me about 143 watts/pound which is more than adequate for this model.
- Vic
Jan 07, 2018, 10:55 AM
Electric baptism 1975
I was thinking that 6" pitch may not be enough for a Spitfire. 12 x8 or 11x8 even 10x8 as this weight.
Jan 07, 2018, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN
I was thinking that 6" pitch may not be enough for a Spitfire. 12 x8 or 11x8 even 10x8 as this weight.
David, I was just using that prop to test the motor but I may use it for my maiden flight to keep the amp draw down on the battery. Here is the information from the Scorpion Calc program provided by the motor manufacturer.
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Jan 07, 2018 at 01:26 PM.
Jan 07, 2018, 02:58 PM
Electric baptism 1975
With the 12x6 my concern is that you might find it takes a lot of throttle to keep up flying speed.

I'd stick with 4s because of weight considerations. The plane was probably designed around 10x6 or 7 turning 12,000rpm on glow. The electrical conversions back then were geared inrunners turning a 15x10 at 5,900-6,000 on 5s.
I notice you are using 20deg C & 287m as your temp & altitude, was that default or does it reflect your conditions?

Quick Reply