Sep 26, 2010, 10:59 PM
Cruising at 399ft AGL
Thread OP
Question

Honey Bee FP v2, or Walkera CB180D?

I've been wanting to get back into helis again, and will start where I left off with FP. I'd flown a GWS Dragonfly (or whatever they were called), and a Venom NightRanger 2 (rebadged Walkera) in the past. I was getting good with FP when I crashed my last one hard and lost interest, and never fixed it. I want to start over and try again with a new heli, and hopefully move up to CP eventually.

I like the looks of the Walkera CB180D, and from what I've read they're an ok machine. I also like the HBFP v2 which looks nice, and I've found lots of good info for someone getting started with these.

Are there any major points that make one machine better than the other for someone in my situation? Maybe another option I've overlooked?

Thanks in advance! Appreciate any and all advice!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 26, 2010, 11:24 PM
Cranky old fart
THe Walkera CB180D is obsolete due to engineering and QC issues. It has poor quality brushed motors and a badly designed tail drive system. It has been replaced by the CB180Z, which has it's own problems with a shaft drive tail and very high parts count that doesn't aid durability. In any case, either version has flight properties very much like a coax, so you won't learn much unless you are a complete beginner. If you want something more geared toward beginners, but more durable and challenging than the CB180, try a Blade 120SR.

The HBFP V2 is the most popular trainer, for good reasons. It's cheap, very durable an easy to fix. It's a great way to get ready to fly CP helis, without spending a lot.
Last edited by Balr14; Sep 26, 2010 at 11:30 PM.
Sep 27, 2010, 12:26 AM
Cruising at 399ft AGL
Thread OP
So considering I've flown FP before and was starting to get the hang of it, and the fact that I'd like to work my way into CP eventually, the HBFP v2 would be the wise choice for now, right? The price is definitely right! I'll probably get it, fly it until I either tear it up too bad to keep fixing it, or learn to fly it well...

Thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated!
Sep 27, 2010, 01:06 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
Quote:
The price is definitely right!
You can say that again. If it's readily available in your region, go for it. It won't help you fly it like MSR/120/CB will. But it has fewer issues (except maybe MSR) and you WANT a trainer to be challenging and sturdy.
Sep 27, 2010, 01:28 AM
Cruising at 399ft AGL
Thread OP
I'll have to do the mail order thing whatever I go with. The closest shop is about a 70 mile drive. Not such a "quick" run to grab some parts... I'll probably pick up some of the most commonly broken parts and have them on hand just in case. Even if I never use them, just having the piece of mind that I won't be down for a week after the slightest mishap will offset the cost!

That brings up another question... Is there any one "best" online store to get the Honey Bee? I was looking at XHeli, and saw them at a few other places around the same price. One thing that seems to be common is $18-$20 shipping charges! If that's the norm though, that's fine. I can't help but remember all the big/heavy computer cases I've had shipped for half that though... lol
Sep 27, 2010, 02:18 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
Many definitely inflate the actual shipping cost. OTOH, many Asian sellers ship to the US for no added fee. You have to comparatively evaluate every single transaction. There are a lot of gypsies in this business.
Sep 27, 2010, 07:36 AM
Cranky old fart
Try these places:

http://www.eskyhelicopters.com/
xheli
helidirect
hobby-estore
Sep 27, 2010, 02:12 PM
Cruising at 399ft AGL
Thread OP
Thanks! Helidirect has it and offers free shipping over $100, but they're out of stock... Even so, shipping is still a little cheaper at the others!
Sep 27, 2010, 02:26 PM
Cranky old fart
xheli has lots of coupon codes available to save you some money. Just Google "xheli codes" and "xheli coupons".
Sep 27, 2010, 04:44 PM
Cruising at 399ft AGL
Thread OP
Awesome! Makes the shipping a lot more reasonable now... I've had good luck with a few orders from one of their other sites, Hobbypartz, so I'll probably go with Xheli. Just have to move money from Paypal now, I wish they would let me pay with Paypal.

Scratch that, turns out yet another of their sites, Nitroplanes, takes Paypal and had the heli there. No spares, but I can order those separate later on. Found a good coupon for that site too!
Last edited by Bonafidepirate; Sep 27, 2010 at 05:07 PM.

Quick Reply