Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 22, 2010, 04:35 AM
Eki
Eki
Discussion

35th. Oktoberfest-Pokal

Hi,

The F3B Eurotour is going to have it's climax this weekend in Munich. As the other 8 million tourists are concentrating in other famous activities 126 pilots from 16 countries are taking part in the 35th. Oktoberfest-Pokal.

Eurotour standings: http://www.contest-modellsport.de/

More info about the competition with life results reporting:

http://sites.google.com/site/mcmmuenchen/home
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2010, 07:03 AM
F3B and F3K
Hi Eki

I am about to start my journey to Oktoberfest-Pokal. I can't wait to see you guys again and looking forward to a fierce F3B contest!
Wish me luck that my gear survives travel.

Reto
Sep 22, 2010, 01:06 PM
I'm jealous Have a blast Reto! Say hi to MW for me.

-Aaron
Sep 23, 2010, 07:22 AM
F3B and F3K
It started quite bad: yesterday I missed by some minutes the connecting flight in New York due to bad weather. They lost my gliders too!

My new flight will arrive Friday 8am in Munich, that's when they will start the contest! This will be interesting...

If someone travels from Munich airport to Salmdorf, send me a PM.
Sep 23, 2010, 09:59 AM
Sloping the Financial Cliff
Reto, make sure you absolutely spend every free second to hassle the luggage clowns. Once they loose your bags, they usually take their sweet time getting it back to you.

Bruno, who regularly looses bags on non stop flights :O
Sep 26, 2010, 02:45 PM
or GPS, F, J, K, or even TD
Got a note from Christina Kunz...Andreas Kunz has earned a spot on the 2011 Germany F3B Team!!! Congratulations my friend. Can't wait to see the results.

Mike Smith
Sep 26, 2010, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B
Got a note from Christina Kunz...Andreas Kunz has earned a spot on the 2011 Germany F3B Team!!! Congratulations my friend. Can't wait to see the results.

Mike Smith
Mike, you can see the results from the MCM site.
http://sites.google.com/site/mcmmuen...festpokal-2010

Jukka
Sep 26, 2010, 11:17 PM
Occasionally here
122 - wow!
Sep 27, 2010, 12:34 AM
or GPS, F, J, K, or even TD
Thank you Jukka. Looks like they had a great event. One of these days I will get to attend a eurotour f3b contest.

Cheers,

Mike
Sep 27, 2010, 04:29 AM
F3B and F3K
Just a short update (full report to follow) what happened with my crazy traveling:
I arrived Friday morning and rushed with a taxi to the airfield. A friend brought a backup plane for me and I could directly start my first round. Having not slept a lot the last 50h and having no trim flight or such to adapt to the plane again, I trashed most of the first round. It was rough because the plane was far too aggressive on launch for my slowed down reflexes.

I was too tired and did some damage to the plane in the second flight and had to take a zero score in. So to exhaustion came desperation. But with joined forces we fixed the plane and my team pushed me to a distance win in late Friday evening (the jet lag slowly disappeared).

With all the pressure gone, things worked then nicely on Saturday and my team enabled me another distance win. But still the plane was doing funny stuff on launch, one time it did a highspeed stall with two rotations shortly after it left the thrower. Boy was I lucky that I got some of my reflexes back. Some suggested I should rather try my luck with aerobatic flying.

I am still bummed that I missed that flight, consequently got in all those troubles and sucked so much in the first round. But I still fully enjoyed the great contest. It was great flying with my team again and meeting all my friends.

Those guys were on top of their game and it was a treat to fly with them.

Reto
Last edited by RetoF3X; Sep 27, 2010 at 05:21 AM. Reason: typo, formulation
Sep 27, 2010, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetoF3X
Just a short update (full report to follow) what happened with my crazy travelling:
I arrived Friday morning and rushed with a taxi to the airfield. A friend brought a backup plane for me and I could directly start my first launch. Having not slept a lot the last 50h and having no trim flight or such to adapt to the plane again I trashed most of the first round. It was rough because the plane was for too aggressive on launch for my slowed down reflexes.

I was too tired and did some damage to the plane in the second flight and had to take a zero score in. So to exhaustion came desperation. But with joined forces we fixed the plane and my team pushed me to a distance win in late Friday evening (the jet lag slowly disappeared).
This is what we discussed in recent F3J eurotour. Being relaxed, awake is the most important single way to prepare for a big event. Even when travelling witin Europe, not much jet lag, it is good practice to arrive one day early to the contest venue. This also gives some marginal to retrive the lost luggage
Sep 27, 2010, 05:01 AM
F3B and F3K
Tuomo, the plan was to arrive one day in advance for that very reason. It was all set up to even do some trim flights with the backup plane.

But I had to spent that extra day in JFK airport and sorely missed it then at the contest. It was a royal pain to try to fly B with sluggish thumbs.

Maybe two days in advance would be more reasonable for contests overseas.

In bare numbers, for me the difference between being asleep and awake in B was 61.6% on Friday to 92.19% the next day (goal was >95%).

Reto
Last edited by RetoF3X; Sep 27, 2010 at 05:22 AM. Reason: formulation
Sep 27, 2010, 05:58 AM
Yes... Taking more time makes attending contest also more enjoyable in travelling/tourism sense. Unfortunately we are often restricted by work/family/expenses

It would be nice to see more US flyers also in F3J eurotour.
Sep 27, 2010, 12:18 PM
Sloping the Financial Cliff
Did you get your luggage yet?

Also some Airports are more prone to delays than others (always consider the season you are traveling in), I learned to avoid them as much as possible, but still get hosed every once in a while
Sep 27, 2010, 03:46 PM
F3B and F3K

Oktoberfest-Pokal full report

History:

The Oktoberfest-Pokal is the biggest and most important F3B contest besides the world championships. It is the mother of all modern F3B contests, many important rules and procedures (e.g. group scoring, start matrix algorithm, identification of the plane while on launch during distance, ...) were invented there and were taken into the sporting code.

Up to now 3410 pilots from 32 nations have participated in the Oktoberfest-Pokal over the last 35 years and also this years edition was truly international.

Friday Flying:

Nice summer weather allowed for one duration (13 groups, interlaced), two speed and one distance (26 groups) round. Keep in mind that one round of speed alone could last for up to 6 hours with 120 participants (in practice it was 3.5h). The air in speed was sluggish and even top dogs had slow runs (17-18s).
A cold front brought rain showers in the evening and gusty winds. Correspondingly distance was challenging. Average result was about 20legs only due to raindrops. AUW of more than 3kg was typical to penetrate against the wind.

Saturday flying:

Rain welcomed us and stopped flying. We resumed flying at noon and completed another distance round and a challenging duration round. In such conditions duration can be a killer with those fast B planes and even some top guys got burried. On Saturday evening two complete rounds were finished. This is really a great achievment by the organizers, a perfect distance round takes 3 h (7min x26), which was achieved by the organizers, so the contest was run absolutely flawless despite the bad weather.

Saturday was finished by a wonderful banquett with really great food. There was an exhibition of F3B planes ranging from the Aquila over the Dassel, the TeleF with variable wingspan to modern F3B planes. They also showed rare footage of contests from the early days. The highlight was a clip of Martin Weberschock trying to make a clumsy translation of a speech by Liese into english at Oktoberfest 2000. This was cracking up the entire crowd including Martin.

Sunday flying:

Cloudy and cold weather, but not as windy as on Satrurday. We started with duration and it was again tricky. One top candidate for the title did not make the time and was out of business. Even the Herrigs lost valuable points, opening the first place for austrian star Juergen Poelzel. The air was not improving in distance and the following speed task saw some amazingly slow runs.

After completion of the third round, a speed fly off of the best six pilots followed. Juergen Poelzel, the Herrig brothers, Andreas Kunz, Thomas Dylla and Dennis Duchesne had ten minutes working time to achieve the fastest speed run. Martin Herrig killed it with a 14.4s run, almost 1s faster than the others. The air did not look that great in the speed round before the fly off, so no big air. Martin just flew it perfectly with round turns placed on base B. Consequently he won the contest, followed by Juergen and his brother Andreas.

In short, it was great contest with challenging conditions and an amazing display of flying skills.

I also observed a shift of power in the F3B world. Germany of course did extremely well and does not have to worry. But in Austria and Italy, new talents show up and those countries seem to be on the rise. In contrast Switzerland, doing very well for ages, saw a formidable Waterloo at Munich this year. But they will hang on and strike back.

The organizers and helpers did an outstanding job, just plain splendid. The CDs were multiple world champions, it doesn't get better! Do the math and calculate how many h it takes to complete 3 rounds of F3B, its plenty and you can't afford a single delay! Congratulations to the MCM.

The planes:

Those planes caught my attention:

Freestyler 4, perfectly flown by the Herrigs. Seemed to launch very well and a bit happier in duration than the smaller FS 3. Speed and Distance in the hands of the Herrigs and Mike Müller were killer

Hurricane: Did well, but it seems they have to improve the launch and speed settings to catch up with the very best. But this is only an impression. The plane is amazingly quiet, which speaks for a very clean design. Made the Fly off in the hands of Thomas Dylla, which relativates my impression (i.e. it flies pretty darn good).

Fosa by Baudis: Experimental high aspect ratio plane. 3m20 and only about 55dm^2 area (aspect ratio: 320cmx320cm/5500cm^2=18.6), but still absolutely stiff. That planes outlaunches most of the other planes and is an absolute killer in distance. Speed performance is also amazingly good. Already has an Eurotour win in its early development status, but it seems ready for production now.

Vampyre: Solid performance in launch, great speed and distance flights by Jesina Junior

Spline: Just a gorgeous plane by Jan Hansen, Benjamin Rodax et al. Looks really good!

Reto
Last edited by RetoF3X; Sep 30, 2010 at 05:11 AM. Reason: typo more comments