Sep 21, 2010, 09:59 PM
Not Crashing = Not Flying
Thread OP
Question

How to charge at the field

Hi I was wondering to use a charger on DC current say at a club field, and you want to charge your batteries with DC, what kind of 12v battery do you use? And what charger do you use for that battery??
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2010, 10:14 PM
I use a motorcycle 12 volt lead-acid battery purchased from Walmart. It's 14 Ah capacity, so it's a good compromise between weight and capacity. A 7 AH gel cell from the hobby shop is also popular. I charge with either a one-amp 12 volt charger (from Autozone) or sometimes I just use a 200 mA "float" charger. I got my float charger from harbor freight. This charger takes several days to charge the battery.
Sep 21, 2010, 10:38 PM
Thread OP
Ok thanks, btw would this one work, with this charger?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
Sep 21, 2010, 11:00 PM
yes, those will work fine. One fact about lead-acid batteries is that most of them are designed to dump a whole lot of energy very quickly like when you start the car (or tractor, etc.). These batteries don't like to be deeply discharged. So remember to charge them back up frequently. Ideally you will never use more than 50% of the battery capacity.

There's a whole different type of lead acid battery designed to be deeply discharged. These are used on trolling motors, wheelchairs, forklifts, golfcarts, etc. The lead plates are thicker and stronger. This is also good for RC use but they tend to cost more.
Sep 21, 2010, 11:43 PM
Thread OP
Okay yes I have a golf cart battery 12v that the brand I'm not sure of but I'll have a look at it tomorrow.
Sep 22, 2010, 03:48 AM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody S
Hi I was wondering to use a charger on DC current say at a club field, and you want to charge your batteries with DC, what kind of 12v battery do you use? And what charger do you use for that battery??
I use a 70 amp hour, iirc lead acid battery. That's charged by 75 kilowatt turbodiesel generator that I take to the field with me.
Sep 22, 2010, 04:05 AM
Takka-Takka-Takka
Quote:
I use an 85aH 12v leisure battery, which drives three chargers. There is enough capacity there for a day's flying. I used to have two of these on the go at once in the NiCd/Nimh days, but lipos are that much more efficient that one battery easily does a full day's flying. The leisure battery goes back on charge as soon as I get home and is usually fully recharged in 6 -8 hours, only rarely does it need an overnight charge.

The Schulze 330-6D is used for 3 cell lipos (1000mah -4500mah)
The Graupner Ultra-Duo 30 Plus is used for 3 -6 cell lipos (3000 - 4500mah)
The ancient HiTec CG 335? is so old that it doesn't even have a NiMh function, but it charges the remaining nicd receiver packs in a couple of models.

I don't charge anything other than transmitters at home, everything else is fast charged at the field.
Sep 22, 2010, 04:33 AM
who dares wins
Hi,

I use a 12v 110Ah Numax sealed leisure battery and a CTEK multi XS 3600 charger to charge it at home. Field charger is a Hyperion Duo 0610i. Both chargers are very good and have been 100% since purchase. I also use the CTEK to top up a car battery as it can be left on for days/weeks/onths if needed as a conditioner.

http://www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-CXV31MF-P3694.html

This worked very well for the last few seasons, battery is still going strong and i use it for other applications also. But now that my club has DC power outputs on bench's i use those.

Alex
Sep 22, 2010, 02:04 PM
Nice, but watch this... oops.
If you uave a golf cart battery more than likely its only 6v. Count the vent on top, 3 vents 6v, 6 vents 12volts.

Bill
Sep 22, 2010, 07:51 PM
Thread OP
Okay so I just checked the battery in my garage and it says,

"Hitachi HC38 12v 38ah PB Cycle Use Battery" not sure I'll use it though it looks pretty old, heres the link below, but good luck reading it, its in Japenese....

http://www.shinkobe-denki.co.jp/10.p....90.10.hc.html

Could anyone recommend a charger for this battery?
Sep 22, 2010, 11:35 PM
characters welcome!
Quote:
Okay so I just checked the battery in my garage and it says,

"Hitachi HC38 12v 38ah PB Cycle Use Battery" not sure I'll use it though it looks pretty old,
That should work. It's 12 volt and runs a golf cart. It'll power pretty much any charger.
Quote:
Could anyone recommend a charger for this battery?
Any 12v 10 amp lead/acid charger available at most auto parts retailers will do.

mw
Sep 23, 2010, 04:13 AM
**** 37130 ****
Quote:
Originally Posted by like2fly!
Hi,

I use a 12v 110Ah Numax sealed leisure battery and a CTEK multi XS 3600 charger to charge it at home. Field charger is a Hyperion Duo 0610i. Both chargers are very good and have been 100% since purchase. I also use the CTEK to top up a car battery as it can be left on for days/weeks/onths if needed as a conditioner.

http://www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-CXV31MF-P3694.html

This worked very well for the last few seasons, battery is still going strong and i use it for other applications also. But now that my club has DC power outputs on bench's i use those.

Alex
+1 on the Numax from Tayna.

I killed a car battery and a cheap leisure battery in a season each charging relatively small 1C packs. The 110 Ah Numax pumps the power back into my 4 and 5 Ah packs at 3C charge rates all day long and is still going strong after 2 seasons!

I recharge the Numax overnight with my old GT6 using the Lead Acid setting.
Sep 23, 2010, 06:07 PM
Thread OP
Thanks everyone for your replys! Just a question, I have a walmart 1w solar panel, can you use that to charge the 12v batteries? Also is there any way to test a 12v battery to see if it still works or not as I don't want to plug my charger in it until I know it wont wreck my charger. My 12v batt also doesnt have any covers on the terminals, can this be dangerous if were to touch it?
Sep 23, 2010, 06:27 PM
Thread OP
Just figured out that the "cheap 12v battery" is actually 38ah and I got it for FREE!! And its a deep cycle!!! Just saved myself about $150!!!!
Sep 23, 2010, 06:29 PM
Thread OP
Japanese to English translation
Cycle use "High Pack" HC Series. | Features | Applications Main | Battery Specifications |

Cycle use lead-acid battery was developed. Worked as a power source such as electric wheelchairs.
. Features
Youth is a battery cycle.
Life expectancy is about 400 cycles and achieved about twice the HP series
Compact design.
Conventional liquid cell (EB type) compared to 20% volumetric efficiency has been improved
Main applications
Electric wheelchair, automatic guided vehicles, commercial cleaners, solar systems, portable instruments
Battery Specifications
HC24-12A HC38-12A type battery
Nominal voltage V 12 12
Capacity 20HR (0.05C)
1.75V / cell Ah 38 24
10HR (0.1C)
1.75V / cell Ah 35 22
5HR (0.17C)
1.75V / cell Ah 32 20
1HR (0.6C)
1.60V / cell Ah 23 14
1C
1.60V / cell Ah 19 12
The maximum overall dimensions of 125 mm 170 2 2
Box height 125 mm 170 2 2
166 197 1 1 mm long
175 165 1 1 mm wide
Mass about 9.0 kg 15.3
Contact form - B1 B2
Flammability battery case - UL 94HB
Internal Resistance (℃ 25) 8 10 mΩ about
Maximum discharge current (second 5) A 400 360
Operating temperature 0 ℃ to 40 charges
Discharge -15 ~ 50 ℃
-15 ~ 40 ℃ Save
(Please save the following as possible ℃ 30)

Quick Reply