Sep 21, 2010, 08:44 AM
'Ol Miland
Thread OP
Discussion

Skylark: a little known 50's fledgling

Hi Guys , this is my first thread , I'm Italian OT enthusiast and modeler
I'm running V & OT thread and I read about Skylark..I've built it just in June 2010 and fly it over summertime with great pleasure...now I post some pics and will be happy to answer your welcomed replay..

P.S. due to my inexperience, to read the pic subtitle you may click on it.. sorry
special thanks to Palmettoflyer he encourage me to open this thread..Hi Palm!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2010, 08:52 AM
'Ol Miland
Thread OP

...:o missed pics

...Hi Guys, here the first bunch of pics missed in my first thread attempt..
Sep 21, 2010, 08:58 AM
That's a cute model; I like the tailfeathers on this one.

One concern: on the photo showing the push-pull cable, I believe you are going to have a problem with the line wearing right at the exit point from the fuselage. The line will wear at the edge of the leadout tube at the angle shown; you don't want the line to break when you're flying the model. Perhaps you might want to look at that and see what you think. Just my 2 cents worth.

Soft landings,

Joe
Sep 21, 2010, 10:05 AM
'Ol Miland
Thread OP

..to piperjoe :)

...Hi Joe thanks for your replay , you 'r right and picture quality can't show the end of the tube (special self lubricated nylon)where the fish line go out, it was reamed with a needle file and polished to have a cone shape and it's filled with silicon grease..I've tested it movin' tightening thread and holding rudder to simulate extra charge..absolutely frictionless. Anyway I periodically check all control surface and inspect my models for clue of wear

Ciao, Bruno
Sep 21, 2010, 12:58 PM
Sounds like you've got it under control, my friend. Good luck with finishing the build and your maiden flight. A pretty neat looking design.

Many soft landings,

Joe
Sep 21, 2010, 03:29 PM
Very nice; didn't Lou Garami design this one?

howell
Sep 21, 2010, 04:34 PM
Beautiful and very clever work! I'm anxious to see some more pictures of it finished and if we are real lucky, you have some inflight pictures.

Thank you for sharing with us.
Sep 21, 2010, 05:38 PM
'Ol Miland
Thread OP

. . to gwinhh..and friends :)

I found the article and plan of Skylark in a reprint of Air Trails mag found many years ago in a remainder library shop. I found a lot of intriguing project on that pages...one was the "Spunky" a pretty rubber model with a unique oval and completey sheeted balsa fuse..this by Louis Garamy ..I've built it and lost OOS in a big nasty thermal bubble...
Coming back to Skylark , almost thirty years later I've resumed the mag from the basement, and leaf through the pages I read the article by Peter Franklin claiming in the title "if you've been avoiding free flights because of complicated structure,here'an A/2 that's easy" ..studing plans I was fascinated by its pretty lines and structural simplicity..the dimensions was perfect to accomodate modern tiny rc gear and those little outrunner powerhouse..immediately I start to scan and clean the pulp, ramble around for a pair of light and true balsa sheets..in the basament I found also a bunch of pics of my childhood...the years was the same of the article...
Nostalgia apart, more pics of my RC Skylark will comin' soon completly finished and ready to maiden..meanwhile any reply is welcomed.. Ciao, Bruno
Sep 21, 2010, 05:48 PM
'Ol Miland
Thread OP

...to Palmettoflyer..and friends :)

Hi Palm, I'm very glad to read you appreciate my work!..as promised very soon I'll put more pics and notes ...

Ciao, Bruno
Sep 21, 2010, 07:57 PM
Bruno,
Be careful, you are up to post #8. RCGroups can become very habit forming!

Thank you again and you tell a great story as well. I only wish I had the same access to model magazines when I was younger too.
Sep 21, 2010, 07:58 PM
Orsi,

You do beautiful work!! Thanks for posting the nice pics.

Chuck
Sep 22, 2010, 11:41 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
Looks good Bruno!
You had better make sure the servo's are adjusted and centred correctly, looks like it might be tough later ;-)
looking forward to the next post.
cheers
sparks
Sep 22, 2010, 01:37 PM
'Ol Miland
Thread OP

..to Sparks and friends ;)

Hi Sparks, thanks for your reply , I' m happy to see You observe my pics and
read your suggestions .. as promised I put some pics more to show the work in progress.. there are some of the bottom hatch and internal R/C gear arrangement..

Ciao and relaxed flight to everybody
Sep 22, 2010, 04:23 PM
'Ol Miland
Thread OP

..Skylark pics ;)

...I hope you'll like it . . .

Quick Reply