Sep 18, 2010, 02:59 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Windbag - New improved with Wings!

Here's somthing a bit different, Colin Read's 1950's Windbag adapted for radio.
Colin was obviously more than a little inpsired by Roy Clough's Martian Spaceship, but Windbag is a little slimmer and has a bit more "cheat" area in the horizontal fins.
I cheated a little further with and extra inch along the fins to help with the extra weight of the radio, I also scaled up about 10%.

Power is a PAW 55 on a 7x3 and control is via tailerons.

First flight was very interesting, despite lots of expo the roll rate is fierce.
It's also really hard to tell when it's over-rolled to inverted.
I had no idea of the CoG so I guessed about 25% of the length.
I think I'm way too nose heavy as the nose really drops when the engine cuts.
3 flights with various re-trims had it much improved, but then I dropped into a spin on the 4th. Finally remebered to throttle off just before contact, it's amzingly strong- zero damage!

Next time a few weights in the tail, and more interesting times!
Last edited by Warren B; Dec 30, 2013 at 03:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2010, 05:37 AM
Very nice Warren......and it must have been fun to build too...

When I see this model ( and Roy Clough's Martian Spaceship as well), I cannot help but think at the old Flash Gordon movies...the early ones from the 30's ....
A few clips below:

Flash Gordon (1936) Serial clip (3 min 12 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8BFrd1ckSw

Last edited by Gluehand; Sep 18, 2010 at 05:44 AM.
Sep 18, 2010, 05:54 AM
Thread OP
Yes very Flash Gordon.
Flies like the one in the clip too ( just a little less smoke).

It was indeed fun to build, a very satisying framework, my wife wants me to build another one to use as a lamp shade.
Sep 18, 2010, 06:39 AM
Waren - wow! Do you have any video?

Owl
Sep 18, 2010, 09:34 AM
The dog ate my clearance
Nice work on a unique project. You don't see many diesel-powered Australian spaceships these days.....
Sep 19, 2010, 01:27 AM
Great to see that, especially an RC version, well done mate.
A pic of mine, as per plan,free flight with Cox 049.
Absolute bonkers model, has a mind of it's own, and never fails to raise a laugh..

ATB

Tony
Sep 20, 2010, 11:42 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Wasn't there an RC plan for an electric one of these recently?
Sep 20, 2010, 12:34 PM
How do you think it would fly if the side "wings" were extended out to twice the shown width? Would this help overcome some of the roll without detracting from the shape of the design? Just wondering...

Soft landings,

Joe
Sep 20, 2010, 01:42 PM
TLAR Aviation
Quote:
Wasn't there an RC plan for an electric one of these recently?
Free plan in May 2010 Quiet & Electric Flight. "Spaceship" by Paul Witko. http://www.qefimagazine.com/issue.aspx?i=4138
Sep 23, 2010, 07:18 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Wow! I remember my elder brother starting (and not finishing*) one of these in the early 70s. Would be great to see some video if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devcon9
Absolute bonkers model,.....
Sums it up completely!!!

* It was never finished because the DC Merlin that was intended to spend (part of) it's life on the nose was last seen buzzing off merrily into the distance, carried by a KK Snipe to the land of lost models....
Sep 23, 2010, 06:52 PM
Thread OP
Hi All, thanks for comments.
I will post a video as soon as my nerves calm enough to try it again.

Tried out some video sunglasses off Ebay last weekend - work surprisingly well (Schlosser 0.25 added to the video section of RC Groups).

I saw the electric Martian Spaceship article when my building was already underway - but it ended with a comment that the airframe was destroyed before it was completely sorted - a bit of a concern.

By coincidence I was down at my club (flying a 1:3 1/2 scale Chilton) when a club member showed me his latest profect -an electic Martian Spaceship! (and it is a LOT fatter) Ray has gone with rudder/elevator so it will be interesting to see how it compares with my tailerons.
Last edited by Warren B; Sep 23, 2010 at 07:25 PM.
Jan 19, 2012, 07:10 AM
Where do you put the radio gear on what looks like a fully-enclosed airship body?

I'm trying to work it out, but can't come up with a workable solution.
Jan 19, 2012, 07:15 AM
Thread OP
I put a couple of hatches in the belly about where I expected the balance point.
I added a partial internal wall on the vertical centreline and mounted everything off that.
There is PLENTY of room!

I'll post some photo's when I can.

Later flights with a different PAW 55 with a silencer were less successful, difficult to turn.
I think the problem is the lower power of this engine compared to the first.

I will swap the engines again, but the higher power engine is having too much fun in a zippy little wing just at the moment.
Jan 19, 2012, 07:21 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
In the second of Warren's pics, I'm wondering if I can see a hatch screw or hinge on the underside in line with the gap between portholes 1 & 2 - and it looks like a snake exiting the 'body' just forward of the tailplane.

Wonder if it's still flying???
Jan 19, 2012, 07:27 AM
Thread OP
I found I already had some photo's.

Quick Reply