Sep 17, 2010, 06:01 PM
I Toast Planes
Thread OP
Help!

Good Glue for EPP Foamies?

I just got my first foamie yesterday and I am starting to assemble it tonight but what kind of glue should i use, I have Gorrilla supper glue and elmers ultimate high performance glue. I tested the gorrilla glue and it held a lot longer and bonded faster and did not damge the EPP and that only took 10 minutes but the elmers glue has yet to bond. Any suggestions? And what should I use to make the hinges?

Thanks,

Bakon
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2010, 06:02 PM
Suspended Account
#1 for EPP is Welders
Sep 17, 2010, 06:03 PM
I Toast Planes
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000
#1 for EPP is Welders
Thanks, Is that what I should use for hinges also?
Sep 17, 2010, 06:11 PM
still learning
welders for epp,
LoctiteŽ makes a similar glue that works almost as well

welders hinges (search forum) by far the fastest epp hinge, very strong and durable - just smear a thin bead along the hinge joint and smooth to a very thin layer with a credit card, cardboard, etc. Can always reapply if too thin but smearing it too thin takes a lot of effort

gorilla glue (white) good for filling gaps as it foams, when dry is mildly pliable and foam and not stiff like the yellow gorilla glue -

gorilla glue misted with water to laminate

2nd lamination method - can also use 3m77 sprayed very very lightly from a distance on both sheets, wait several minutes to laminate
Sep 17, 2010, 06:14 PM
I Toast Planes
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroknot
welders for epp,

welders hinges (search forum) by far the fastest epp hinge, very strong and durable - just smear a thin bead along the hinge joint and smooth to a very thin layer with a credit card, cardboard, etc. Can always reapply if too thin but smearing it too thin takes a lot of effort

gorilla glue (white) good for filling gaps as it foams, when dry is mildly pliable and foam and not stiff like the yellow gorilla glue -

2nd lamination method - can also use 3m77 sprayed very very lightly from a distance on both sheets, wait several minutes to laminate
My gorrilla glue is clear, should i still use it or should i run to the store for welders? I just want to use the gorrila glue for the body parts not the hinges. and is welders a fast cure?
Sep 17, 2010, 08:32 PM
I tested some butt joints on EPP with White Gorilla and didn't feel that it held nearly as well as Welders. The Welders is not a fast cure. It seems to set pretty well within an hour, but I usually give it a good day to fully cure.
Sep 17, 2010, 10:09 PM
Zen in the art of foam
On EPP I use a lot of hot melt glue and 15 minute epoxy too. Hot melt is the fastest but adds a bit more weight.
Sep 18, 2010, 12:45 AM
I second the hot glue. Even though it adds a little weight its pretty flexible in the bonds it forms.
Sep 18, 2010, 04:11 AM
Good Better Best quest.
If you are trying to glue to a moulded skin epp with gorilla , pin prick the surface plenty times that way you get a really good key.
Sep 18, 2010, 05:56 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroknot
welders for epp,

Ya the Loctite or Lepages as its sold in Cnaada makes a very similar product to the Welders - Stik N Seal
Sep 18, 2010, 06:38 AM
Foam Av8r
Isn't Amazing Goop and Welders about the same type of glue?
I use Amazing Goop on SPAD's
Sep 18, 2010, 11:16 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueTitan
The Canadian version of Goop isn't the same from my use at least. Goop is thicker and doesn't seem to hold as well. Close but not the same, the Loctite/Lepage is much closer to Welders than Goop.
Sep 18, 2010, 06:00 PM
Welders is about the best for EPP in my opinion. UHU works well too but is harder to find. I use epoxy for the wing spar.
Sep 18, 2010, 06:04 PM
I Toast Planes
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000
The Canadian version of Goop isn't the same from my use at least. Goop is thicker and doesn't seem to hold as well. Close but not the same, the Loctite/Lepage is much closer to Welders than Goop.
Will goop work for hinges?
Sep 18, 2010, 06:05 PM
I Toast Planes
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueTitan
Will amazing goop work on hinges? on the back it says do not use on syrofoam but I have epp so does it work on that?

Quick Reply