Oct 01, 2011, 06:14 AM
hi Guys
I think I read somewhere on this thread about changing the pull pull arrangement on the steering on the Habu. I have Tams Struts so will this work on this arrangement?
So could someone point me in the right direction ?
Cheers
Steve
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2011, 06:59 AM
Why isn't anybody mounting the ESC behind the fan in the air flow? I've done this on a few of my EDFs and it's never been a problem. I've been following this thread and have a Habu 32 for my winter build, as winter is fast approaching here in the northeast, I'm slowly buying the motor, ESC etc. Any thoughts on ESC placement?

Cheers!
Oct 01, 2011, 07:52 AM
Keith Thomas
I put the esc under the flight battery. The thing I did different was to open up the belly and stick the esc's cooling fins outside in the air. It is still pretty sturdy with the mounting rails. I worry to much but I won't have to worry about the esc getting hot.
Oct 01, 2011, 10:18 AM
Hawk Fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff
Be careful with the locktite, it attacks some plastics cause cracking and crazing.
Bob
Yep, knew that. It went metal to metalonly.
Oct 01, 2011, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypstar
bri....too many reports now(that it for me),I know examples of ESC that have had no issues with any placement in the H-32.
and what about the logger...No,...for me.. that is not the way things should be..

Andy.
Why on earth would you not use the logger and test everything? I look at the data everytime i get home from flying. The esc gets pretty hot under the battery tray unless you A. Open the naca duct and B. Make a large hole the rear battery support to improve airflow, even with those mods i have hit 200 degrees on 85 degree days in southrrn California. If people are not providing airflow to the esc they will fail.
Oct 01, 2011, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri6672
Are you guys using the data logger to monitor things????????? Under thr battery tray i have hit over 200 degrees, dont be so quick to blame the esc.....
I didn't necessarily blame the ESC. But 2 failures in 12 flights at half throttle is baffling. I am using the data logging and nothing seems abnormal.

What do you think is happening? And BTW I have always supported Castle thru all this crap but it's getting hard to continue doing so when my brand new ESC's keep failing. Wouldn't you agree?

S
Oct 01, 2011, 11:23 AM
So what kind of temps are you hitting, by the way you get higher temps running at half throttle than full, the esc has to work harder to reduce the voltage compared to wide open throttle. The best theng you could do is call castle tech and email them you data and they can tell you exactly why your having issues.
Oct 01, 2011, 11:28 AM
Smaze if its a brand new esc, get castle the data, i have learned alot when doing that, they even identified a rx voltage drop in a flight for me and it was a problem i didnt know that setup even had. Call them!!
Oct 01, 2011, 11:40 AM
Hawk Fanatic
Thanks guys. Once everything is back in my hands so that I can rebuild this, I'll let everyone know. The way this plane flew was great indead. Even after the fire and belly landing, its hard to see any damage. The only damage you can see is in the melted canopy, the scorched interior and a couple of spots on the bottom where it got soo hot that it discolored the paint. As for the ESC. It could be location, but I have a hard time believing that. I've got cheaper escs running the same 6s through them and if they get tooo hot then they go into thernal shutdown, unlike my CC where it decided to go into flame mode. I never even got a chance to try the data logging feature. Something I was really looking forward too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotrcuk
Sorry to hear about the ESC probs Skyline and glad HH are sorting you out.

I was just starting going through this thread to see where folks are mounting their ESCs. Noted!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neversommer
Jeez Skyline

I am so very sorry to hear about your ESC

Glad that HH is going to help you with it.

I just received my CC HC 120 ESC yesterday.

Hope you get your Habu32 very soonish in the air again.

NS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypstar
Skyline!..Sorry to hear that,I WAS going to use my new 100 in my 8S H-32.
But now....

Andy.
Oct 01, 2011, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri6672
Smaze if its a brand new esc, get castle the data, i have learned alot when doing that, they even identified a rx voltage drop in a flight for me and it was a problem i didnt know that setup even had. Call them!!
Yea it's pretty obvious that I'm not getting enough cooling. I will check the data later today. I have an ICE 75 lying around and may give that a go. This time, however, I will put be ESC where the intakes meet. The airflow there is much better with the fan sucking air. There are a couple guys at my field who run there's there with zero problems.

S
Oct 01, 2011, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaze17
Yea it's pretty obvious that I'm not getting enough cooling. I will check the data later today. I have an ICE 75 lying around and may give that a go. This time, however, I will put be ESC where the intakes meet. The airflow there is much better with the fan sucking air. There are a couple guys at my field who run there's there with zero problems.

S
Smaze, there's a guy in my RC club that has his 100 ICE mounted ontop of his Fan with the heat-sink of the ESC protruding out of a hole cut into the hatch cover. So when you look at the Jet fron a bottom-view you see the green heat sink out of the hatch cover.Does'nt look great but he has no problems. Just a thought bud..
Oct 01, 2011, 01:29 PM
Yea I think if you put the ESC right where the intakes meet. the air getting sucked by the fan really helps with the cooling process. Kinda "sucks" the heat away from the unit.

S
Oct 01, 2011, 06:41 PM
lawndart aerobatic ace!
+1 on placing it in front of the intake area. The highest temp I've pulled off the castle log has been 154 degrees for what it's worth.
Oct 02, 2011, 01:22 AM
Why on earth would you not use the logger and test everything?

bri6672....I don`t know what you mean by that question...

I meant on top of all bad reports on the esc,the logger is way off on Amps and Watts when we tested them.
I got my ICE 100 from USA and my flying friend took his from a dealer in Sweden,both of them is not accurate.
(in fact..diff data with same setup)
Last edited by hypstar; Oct 02, 2011 at 02:28 AM.
Oct 02, 2011, 04:23 PM

Horizon Hobbies

Hate to be the bearer of Bad-News guys, but Horizon Hobbies has just increased the price of our favourite 80mm EDF. The Habu 32 now cost $349.99...increase of $50 from the original price.Perhaps other hobby shops has not followed suit as of yet so get your Habu before this price increase goes Viral...

Quick Reply