Aug 02, 2011, 07:21 PM

Life battery for futaba fasst rx

Just got and e-mail from Futaba stating they do not recommend lithium batteries for their receivers. And if you do so at your own risk, a regulator is necessary to reduce it to 6.0 volts. So how many of you Futaba guys are using these new Life batteries with no regulators and having good results. I went for this install after following this thread. Sounded good. Hope it is. Stephan
to remove ads between posts
Aug 02, 2011, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC
The thrust tube sits between the fan housing and the former on far side. I don't know if it actually gets clamped (sandwiched ) between them, when you screw the fan down, but I've taped it just at the exposed half and not had a problem with it moving.
I have about a 1/8" clearance around the fan and the rear former. The easiest way I see is to pull the tube tight and tape it on the exposed part. Just wondering if it would be better to some how seal it all the way around? There has to be some pressure in there at full throttle? Do you think it would leak around the untaped side? Thanks for your response
Aug 02, 2011, 08:30 PM
Advocating for RC Aviation
OK, dumb question from the noob, but how important really is the fit between the intakes and the fan housing? I get wanting a tight fit for feeling really right about one's EDF model, but is any performance lost if I just go with the duct tape in the instructions?

Just askin' Dana
Aug 02, 2011, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danamania
OK, dumb question from the noob, but how important really is the fit between the intakes and the fan housing? I get wanting a tight fit for feeling really right about one's EDF model, but is any performance lost if I just go with the duct tape in the instructions?

Just askin' Dana
No..I use Duct Tape at the intake side and 3M Blenderm at the exhaust tube..Perfect...a friend of mine used Tuck Tape and worked out good aswell.You do want a good seal..
Aug 02, 2011, 09:11 PM
More jets than a carburetor
Got two new flights on on my new setup:
Ice 100 heavy (instead of 75 light)
Hyperion life pack (instead of BEC)
30C lipo (instead of 20)

It flies ok, not a huge speed increase but some. My twin 90mm mig flies circles around this.

Current pull did not change, still pulling 82 amps. However, the lipo held 1V higher so I could tell there was a higher RPM. But as expected, a stronger lipo will not reduce amp pull. The lipo V just help up as expected.

Temp hit 177F. Do you guys think this is too hot? The temp decrease is not due to the stronger lipo, it is due to the heatsink.
Aug 02, 2011, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmbike
Just got and e-mail from Futaba stating they do not recommend lithium batteries for their receivers. And if you do so at your own risk, a regulator is necessary to reduce it to 6.0 volts. So how many of you Futaba guys are using these new Life batteries with no regulators and having good results. I went for this install after following this thread. Sounded good. Hope it is. Stephan
Yeah thats weird! Whats interesting is the new DSM "X" recievers coming out are rated to 9.6volts which is impressive, they are obviously thinking ahead about new power sources for rx...
Aug 02, 2011, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri6672
Yeah thats weird! Whats interesting is the new DSM "X" recievers coming out are rated to 9.6volts which is impressive, they are obviously thinking ahead about new power sources for rx...
My R921 is rated at 3.5V-9.6V. input...that 9.6V rating is nothing new...the only new thing is the DSMX..I just had my TX serviced and upgraded to DSMX($75)...Cant Tell The Difference!!!
Futaba on the other hand is coming out with lots of new ground breaking technology....very impressive.If I were starting fresh..the Futaba path,I would be waliking!!
Last edited by ZACATTACK; Aug 02, 2011 at 10:03 PM.
Aug 02, 2011, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydve76
Ice 100 heavy (instead of 75 light)
Hyperion life pack (instead of BEC)
30C lipo (instead of 20)

It flies ok, not a huge speed increase but some. My twin 90mm mig flies circles around this.

Current pull did not change, still pulling 82 amps. However, the lipo held 1V higher so I could tell there was a higher RPM. But as expected, a stronger lipo will not reduce amp pull. The lipo V just help up as expected.

Temp hit 177F. Do you guys think this is too hot? The temp decrease is not due to the stronger lipo, it is due to the heatsink.
You need a TJ 80 SE with a 9S set-up...Then you'll see a noticable speed jump in your system..Start getting some High Power systems SkyDVE..you can handle it..
Last edited by ZACATTACK; Aug 02, 2011 at 10:24 PM.
Aug 02, 2011, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothcj
I have about a 1/8" clearance around the fan and the rear former. The easiest way I see is to pull the tube tight and tape it on the exposed part. Just wondering if it would be better to some how seal it all the way around? There has to be some pressure in there at full throttle? Do you think it would leak around the untaped side? Thanks for your response
I'll have to see if mine has that gap.
It would be best if you can get tape around the hole fan.
Latest blog entry: Updated blog - Oct 2017
Aug 02, 2011, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACATTACK
No..I use Duct Tape at the intake side and 3M Blenderm at the exhaust tube..Perfect...a friend of mine used Tuck Tape and worked out good aswell.You do want a good seal..
Yes, just remember your only duct taping a 3" section on top. It would be a chore to get all the way around.
Aug 02, 2011, 10:34 PM
Quote:
You need a TJ 80 SE with a 9S set-up...Then you'll see a noticable speed jump in your system..Start getting some High Power systems SkyDVE..you can handle it..
would 8s 6600 30c be too heavy?
Aug 02, 2011, 11:10 PM
Quote:
would 8s 6600 30c be too heavy?
Thats a big battery..I dont know much it weighs? That is the biggest 8S
battery someone has introduced in this Forum.. Suprised it will fit in the Habu!
Aug 02, 2011, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Thats a big battery..I dont know much it weighs? That is the biggest 8S
battery someone has introduced in this Forum.. Suprised it will fit in the Habu!
I have a stock of 4s 3300s. I'm sorry, it would not be an 8 6600. It would be an 8s 3300. Is an 8s 3300 too small?
Aug 02, 2011, 11:21 PM
3DHOG
I think it would fit no problem two 4s 3300 nano's 35c no problem
they would need to be 35c or greater tho
Aug 03, 2011, 12:26 AM
Quote:

But as expected, a stronger lipo will not reduce amp pull. The lipo V just help up as expected.

Giving more volts to the same more is always going to increase amps. High c rating, high voltage held under load, means more amps when everyhting else stays the same. The reason Efflux can do an 8s motor is because it's "geared" toward higher voltage setups.

177 is pretty hot. Where do you have it mounted? I actually put my ice 100 in the spot e-flite recommends and it stays much cooler.

Quick Reply