Mar 09, 2017, 03:20 PM
I generally discourage folks from attempting that setup, unless they are prepared for some mods the air frame (like cutting up the ducting, and the battery tray, modding the CC 160ESC)
AUW will be over 10lbs, you get 4 passes and then you land, (with 12, 4800's) and there are no guarantees. It's experimental.
If your still interested, please shoot me an email at effluxrc@gmail.com

I might suggest a 10s set up for true (upwind/downwind averaged) speed of 160. (radared during level passes)
Latest blog entry: Updated blog - Oct 2017
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2017, 07:44 PM
Oh man that sux may just stick with my 8s setup and fly the yellow one stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mar 09, 2017, 09:02 PM
The best in EDF since 2005
The airframe is tiny, flying bricks are no fun, the 8s setup with Jetfan and 1865Kv motor is the best balance of weight vs performance, 150-160mph easily with decent packs, done heaps of these setups, our issue is mostly grass fields, makes it even worse when the weight gets up, but the model becomes quite ordinary to fly when you start getting too heavy, no fun.
Latest blog entry: Extreme RC AUSTRALIA
Mar 09, 2017, 09:39 PM
My 12s Habu 32 was built for a special purpose. Still undefeated, 2 1/2 years later.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ed%20challenge

Habu 32 @ 204 mph averaged TOP SPEED (5 min 37 sec)
Mar 10, 2017, 02:04 AM
That's cool, I don't have a radar gun but will be installing an airspeed indicator on my 8s setup with a frsky gps sensor. When I was flying it with a hitec a9 Tx I had the gps sensor on it and in level flight it maintained 150mph. I bought the mega motor from you but the fan is stock with a 120 amp graupner esc. I was hoping the jetfan would be worth ordering but it seems that my poor mans setup is close in speed and it flies good.

Good job breaking 200 though.

Mar 10, 2017, 09:24 AM
Has anyone ever crammed a 90mm fan in a habu yet?

I have a red one I bought new and setup with 8s
I bought a yellow one at a swap meet the other day rtf stock setup. My plan was to fly the yellow one stock this summer and shake it down then modify this winter to go fast.

Mar 10, 2017, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhampton View Post
That's cool, I don't have a radar gun but will be installing an airspeed indicator on my 8s setup with a frsky gps sensor. When I was flying it with a hitec a9 Tx I had the gps sensor on it and in level flight it maintained 150mph. I bought the mega motor from you but the fan is stock with a 120 amp graupner esc. I was hoping the jetfan would be worth ordering but it seems that my poor mans setup is close in speed and it flies good.

Good job breaking 200 though.

Thanks.
There's quite a few of those 8sMega/e-flite fan setups flying. That was the 150mph set up for stock fan. Once the Mach 80 and Jfetfan 80 came out. we discontinued the Mega setups, due to the larger (36-40mm) motor capabilities of the newer fans. Neither fan was overly loaded, but with 9 blades the sound was (and still is) far and above the E-flite fan.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........................................

Quote:

I have a red one I bought new and setup with 8s
I bought a yellow one at a swap meet the other day rtf stock setup. My plan was to fly the yellow one stock this summer and shake it down then modify this winter to go fast.

Being short on time, I commissioned rvincent to build/mod a Habu 32 for me using an (old 4 blade) Schuebeler DS-44 -HDT(85mm) setup that I had. I supplied the airframe, components and the ready to run, fan. There some mods in the EDF area to fit the fan. Everything that is not stock, usually requires some mods by the builder.
Bob did a great job building the and he flew at Prado field to 1st place in the 7s class for the Habu 32 speed challenge. Pilot was paineted and supplied by Bob. Winds were high that day (15-25mph) , so speeds were graeatly differing. 167mph down wind, and 134mph up wind. This is why it's required to make passes in both directions and average them. these are Ground speed, not air speed.
Please note That there were 2 jets in the 8s class, that were only 7s,

Open 8s

1. RVincent 151mph 7s 5-26-11
2. Avaitor Brock 144.5 7s 8-24-14
3. Habu Burners 140.2 8s 10-30-2011
Last edited by efflux RC; Mar 10, 2017 at 06:31 PM. Reason: added text
Mar 10, 2017, 06:23 PM
Here's the video of the 7s Shubie DS-44 (85mm) powered. Habu 32. Man, that was 5 years ago. Time flies!
Habu - Shubie on 7s (7 min 54 sec)
Mar 10, 2017, 09:57 PM

Eflite Fiberglass EDF HABU Thread

Picked this guy up at a swap meet for $225 ready to fly stock setup. Needs some minor work to get it going stock.
Hv 80 amp castle esc
Stock fan/motor
Hitec 85 servos
Eflite retracts
Never flown
It was a good day

Last edited by captainhampton; Mar 10, 2017 at 10:05 PM.
Mar 10, 2017, 10:05 PM
Quote:

I did do a 14s, 90 mm in the new 32X. It was a bunch of work, but I was confident that it would do 220+ (averaged upwind/downwind).
The jet was lost during trimming on the maiden flight. (pilot error)
Last edited by efflux RC; Mar 10, 2017 at 10:18 PM.
Mar 10, 2017, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Picked this guy up at a swap meet for $225 ready to fly stock setup. Needs some minor work to get it going stock.
Hv 80 amp castle esc
Stock fan/motor
Hitec 85 servos
Eflite retracts
Never flown
It was a good day

Look like it's in good condition. Have fun.
Last edited by efflux RC; Mar 10, 2017 at 10:21 PM.
Mar 14, 2017, 10:57 AM

Eflite Fiberglass EDF HABU Thread

Got the yellow one in the air and it flew great. Now time to start adding mods to it. The stock setup isn't impressive compared to the 8s red habu setup.
Now to start saving up for a jetfan edf unit and motor. Thinking of shoe horning a 90 mm fan in. Tempting to see if a 100mm might fit.🤔

Aug 14, 2017, 09:42 AM
For a stock setup 6S, do I need to program the Talon90 ESC different from the factory setup?

Thanks
Aug 29, 2017, 01:43 PM
dumb ? how much run way do you need to land this on? what is the roll out? thanks Steve
Aug 29, 2017, 01:57 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve bjers View Post
dumb ? how much run way do you need to land this on? what is the roll out? thanks Steve
Hi Steve,
If you can plant it down pretty close to the end of the runway, in high alpha, 250-300 feet is enough, especially if you're flying a light setup (6s, for example). If not, you'll want 400-500 feet.
Best,
Josh

Quick Reply