Sep 14, 2010, 09:07 PM
First to go over 106K feet
Thread OP
Discussion

Spektrum DX7 and DragonLink

Here is how I installed my DragonLink to my DX7. If you decide to do this to your transmitter you do so at your own risk!

1) I removed my 1W 2.4ghz booster.
2) I then removed the battery.
3) I removed the 6 screws and opened up the case. I was carefull not to pull on the battery connector wires.
4) I located the 3 wires that needed to be used for the DL on the RF board. They were located on the lower left side.
5) I removed the 4 screws that hold the board to the case.
6) I removed the 3 pin connector from the circuit board.
7) I cut off the connector and installed my own 3 pin connector to the wires just removed from the board.
8) I installed a mating connector back on the board. This will be used when restoring back to 2.4Ghz. A 3 pin servo connector would work very well if you just cut the 3 wires and splice them into the wires. This will save you from desoldering/soldering a connector to the RF board.
9) I then installed the board using the 4 screws removed earlier.
10) I made up a 3 wire cable from a 26awg servo extension. This goes from the connector I just added to the 3 wires coming off the RF board to the input of the DragonLink.
11) I used some zip ties to run the cable out the side of the battery box in the rear case.
12) I removed the handle by removing the nuts that hold it to the back case.
13) I removed the clear button cover for the binding switch.
14) I closed up the transmitter cases and replaced the 6 screws.
15) I then used a 4 pin servo connector that would mate with the DragonLink input connector on the other end of the cable that was just installed.
16) I then used some pieces of 3M Dual Lock SJ4570 from DigiKey to attach the DragonLink to the back of the transmitter.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2010, 09:16 PM
Post # 20 million
I like how you added the mating connector, makes it easy to swap back to 2.4ghz.

Good job.

Cheers, Kev.
Sep 14, 2010, 10:45 PM
hello crist,

By adding the dragonlink to the DX7, will the DX7 no longer transmit in 2.4ghz thus allowing you to use a 2.4ghz video transmitter?
Sep 15, 2010, 12:17 AM
Fishie
If there is no power or PPM signal to the RF board on the DX7 then nothing is being transmitted.

I added a switch to the power lead going to the RF board and a connector in the back to power up the Dragonlink.

So switch off - no 2.4 transmission
Switch on - 2.4 transmission

I wanted the option to switch quickly back and forth since I still use 2.4 for my helis and small foamies.

Nice clean job there Crist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebok
hello crist,

By adding the dragonlink to the DX7, will the DX7 no longer transmit in 2.4ghz thus allowing you to use a 2.4ghz video transmitter?
Sep 15, 2010, 01:30 AM
Why did you stop to use the 2.4ghz + booster ?? Seems you had great results with it ?!
Sep 15, 2010, 07:26 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebok
hello crist,

Yes. I disabled the RF board by connecting in the DL.
Sep 15, 2010, 07:29 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcyon13
Why did you stop to use the 2.4ghz + booster ?? Seems you had great results with it ?!
I got a great deal on a used DL. The booster works very well and is a good economical solution to getting a lot more range on with your DX7.
Oct 08, 2010, 10:42 AM
Kostas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti
I got a great deal on a used DL. The booster works very well and is a good economical solution to getting a lot more range on with your DX7.
Hello Crist. I've follow many from your posts. I have a x9303. They don't have modules and I don't want to open it to add or change anything. I've also a turnigy 9x for the flights by the sea. Do you think that it would be a good idea to try the booster to the turnigy 9x?
Oct 08, 2010, 11:08 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstmark
Hello Crist. I've follow many from your posts. I have a x9303. They don't have modules and I don't want to open it to add or change anything. I've also a turnigy 9x for the flights by the sea. Do you think that it would be a good idea to try the booster to the turnigy 9x?
I have no idea because I don't know much about the Turnigy. I am currently flying a DL with a XP9303.
Oct 15, 2010, 01:24 PM
Is this doable through the trainer plug?
Oct 15, 2010, 02:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill0
Is this doable through the trainer plug?
I'm not really sure, but I think so. When you plug into the trainer jack, the transmitter turns on even if you have the front switch off. Also the DX7 will still be transmitting 2.4.
Oct 15, 2010, 03:58 PM
Registered Loon
i read that the Tx doesnt transmit when the trainer port is in use ?going to try this with my sim and see if it still works :-)

or that it transmits at a lower rate ?
Oct 15, 2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks, didn't really want to open it up, but...........................
Oct 15, 2010, 05:01 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
When you plug into the trainer port, JR/Spectrum radios DO NOT power up the RF deck. They have been like this since way back in the day of the Century series of transmitters

So..if the DL module just needs PPM from the radio, then you can use the trainer jack without broadcasting a signal on 2.4, or 72, depending on what radio you have.

Tim
AG4RZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti
I'm not really sure, but I think so. When you plug into the trainer jack, the transmitter turns on even if you have the front switch off. Also the DX7 will still be transmitting 2.4.
Latest blog entry: Intro..a few years to late!
Oct 15, 2010, 05:06 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLYOS
When you plug into the trainer port, JR/Spectrum radios DO NOT power up the RF deck. They have been like this since way back in the day of the Century series of transmitters

So..if the DL module just needs PPM from the radio, then you can use the trainer jack without broadcasting a signal on 2.4, or 72, depending on what radio you have.

Tim
AG4RZ
Thanks Tim.

Quick Reply