Sep 11, 2010, 07:08 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Thread OP
Discussion

Twisted Hobbys - 32" Xtra Slick - Build, Fly, Vid

Hey all,

Brad sent me one of his new Xtra Slicks to try out and I just got done building and flying it. Brad has been talking with me about it for a while now and he was so excited about it that when I got it in the mail on Friday I took it straight to the shop and got to work on it.

The kit itself is typical of Twisted's other kits. Quality EPP tab and notch construction with carbon pushrods and a high degree of completion. See the pics below for build notes.

Construction was very fast and I had it in the air in my back yard within hours.

The flying performance of this plane is awesome and by the end of the first evening I had figured out every little niche of flying space in my back yard and was having a blast.

What makes this plane different from Twisted's other planes, and a lot of other profile EPP planes in this category, is that it flies more like a 3D plane.

-Harrier and rudder turning control is awesome.

-Rudder control in knife edge is fantastic too.

-The elevator authority is powerful and you can do walls, waterfalls and spins very easy.

-The ailerons are so effective that you can roll even at very slow airspeeds and roll very well in the wind.

-All of that said though, what makes this plane really superb is the tracking. I think a lot of people are going to learn how to do rollers with this plane. The directional stability of this plane while rolling is amazing. It takes very little effort with the sticks to guide this thing through rolling maneuvers. I have never been able to do rolling circles or loops in my small back yard before but with this plane on the second flight I was continuous rolling as much as I liked. The Xtra Slick is a great learning tool!
------

So after flying the first flights in my back yard, I took it to the field this morning and flew it in the wind. It handles the wind well. I would say it handles wind better than the Vector but not as good as the Crazy 88. Below is a vid I shot this morning in about 5 knots of wind.

Twisted Hobbys - Xtra Slick (3 min 35 sec)

Twisted Hobbys - Xtra Slick.mov (3 min 35 sec)

I think Brad has outdone himself with this plane and I can whole heartedly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn, practice or execute great 3D flying.

The manual: http://www.twistedhobbys.com/uploads...al_1-21-11.pdf

www.twistedhobbys.com
Last edited by hercdriver7777; Oct 13, 2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Spelling, punctuation and stuff
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2010, 07:36 PM
Awesome flying, Chris!

Twisted Hobbys - you've helped me a lot. Keep kicking them out and I'll keep buying...

Subscribed!

dd
Sep 11, 2010, 08:02 PM
Pants on the ground
Sign me up for one
Sep 11, 2010, 10:26 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Im getting one of these! If it flys as good as the vector I know I going to love it

Good fly too!!!
Sep 12, 2010, 07:53 AM
Don't give in to gravity
Very nice flying Chris. Dem some good skills ya got dar.

I like the rolling H loops
Sep 12, 2010, 08:18 AM
Thread OP
Thanks! I've been working on those loops and rolling maneuvers for so long now that they kind of dominate my flying. Hopefully I will be able to move on to something new soon
Sep 12, 2010, 08:44 AM
whats up guys i still have my yedge and vector gota say great planes to fly love the design of both.i got the chance to fly the xtra slick prototype with brad and by far the best design yet!!!! never flew a foamie that can roll so sweet and smooth. all his planes have given me the confidence to put my balsa planes in the air and if not for the foamies i probally would have destroyed my balsa planes!great paint job also spent alot of time on this one thats for sure congrats brad on another tool to help people progress in the fun sport of rc planes .
Sep 12, 2010, 08:46 AM
almost forgot great flying hercdriver7777! you got mad skills
Sep 12, 2010, 09:18 AM
Pants on the ground
Herc what 2.4 system you running?
Sep 12, 2010, 10:55 AM
Thread OP
I am running JR 11x and various JR or Spektrum RXs. On this plane I have a 5ch Spektrum RX that came out of a PZ T-28 (dont know what # it is) with the case removed.
Sep 12, 2010, 11:23 AM
Way to rip it up with our new Slick Chris! Both colors are now available in our store site. Enjoy guys.

Brad
Sep 12, 2010, 12:35 PM
Just ordered 1 last nite. cant wait to fly it. sorry for the noob ? but what glue should i use? is goop alright?
Sep 12, 2010, 12:49 PM
Thread OP
I built mine 100% with UHU POR. I think the manual will recommend hot glue and welder's adhesive. I don't know enough about goop to say if it is good or not. You can get UHU from rcfoam.com and welder's and hot glue directly from Twisted. http://shop.twistedhobbys.com/Tools-...d-Parts_c8.htm
Sep 12, 2010, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777
I built mine 100% with UHU POR. I think the manual will recommend hot glue and welder's adhesive. I don't know enough about goop to say if it is good or not. You can get UHU from rcfoam.com and welder's and hot glue directly from Twisted. http://shop.twistedhobbys.com/Tools-...d-Parts_c8.htm
Thank you sir.
Sep 12, 2010, 01:07 PM
Don't give in to gravity
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777
Thanks! I've been working on those loops and rolling maneuvers for so long now that they kind of dominate my flying. Hopefully I will be able to move on to something new soon
Are you doing rolling Harrier loops with your balsa's? i am having a heck of a timeat the top of the loop, first half is looking good, last quarter is good but it's getting the tail to go over at the top. Like anything eles it's going to take a lot of practice.

Quick Reply