Old Jan 07, 2011, 01:24 AM
Find More Posts by c payne
texbird i fly mine at high school soccer feild . it glides nice lands slow with a litle practice. i use 4 and 5s . check out youtube .
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2011, 09:37 AM
Find More Posts by Helgeo
Got my Meteor in the mail from Grayson Hobby today, what a beatuy Also impressed by the quick delivery from Grayson. I placed the order on dec. 28th It was shipped on dec 29th using USPS, it has been sitting for a couple of days in Norwegian customs before I could pick it up today.

Looking forward to put it together and to fly it.

It comes with a little plastic cone on the nose, is this just for protection during shipping? Did you guys remove it?

I intend to put a "Squall" thrust vectoring unit on it, should be interesting.
http://www.phase3models.com/product.aspx?ID=ph019-13
Old Jan 07, 2011, 04:15 PM
Find More Posts by Melnic
Team Wack-a-Mole
Does anyone have any more video of high speed low passes. I'm using that droid "speedo" app to measure speed from videos. From Jason's earlier video I got a peak of 70mph but that was not a good pass for doing an audio sample. Low and fast and WOT for about 5 seconds before and 3 seconds after passing center of camera is best. Low and straights as you can get while still maintaining safety. I was looking at the concept x, but I think I like the RX ready meteor better. Someone said ESC can handle 5S. does it have a seperate Switching BEC? Anyone know the Amp rating on the ESC? Thx
Old Jan 07, 2011, 04:35 PM
Find More Posts by FresnoJay
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
Melnic, On 1 of my 2 videos I was able to get a reading of just above 87mph using the same app you have on your phone.

As for the ESC it has a switch mode BEC built in to it 3A to be exact. Its identical to a Turnigy Plush 60A which is good up to 5S using the onboard BEC. Its on 6S that it would need to be disabled. I personally only use Turnigy Plush ESC's as they are solid at a great price. The stock ESC should have a burst rating fo 80A as thats the 60A Plushs' burst.

Jason
Old Jan 09, 2011, 07:20 PM
Find More Posts by maverickma
Can someone give me the dimensions of the battery area?
Old Jan 10, 2011, 01:49 AM
In post #56 I posted pics of the batt bay with 4S 2200 30C and a 4S 4000 30C in it. Should give you a good idea of size. Will try to get actual measurements tomorrow. I am at work right now unfortunately, lol.

Jason
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoJay View Post
In post #56 I posted pics of the batt bay with 4S 2200 30C and a 4S 4000 30C in it. Should give you a good idea of size. Will try to get actual measurements tomorrow. I am at work right now unfortunately, lol.

Jason
I have three 4 cell 6000mah lipos with an 18c rating and they weigh about 560g so I'm not sure if that's just too heavy. I know you said 550g earlier. I use them for my giant scales, but would love to use them individually!!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 05:00 PM
Maverickma, I think my 4000 weighs around 460g but anything bigger than a 3000mah I think is a waste as you dont gain any performance and just adds dead weight. A 3000 would give I would guess a solid 7-8 min flight. but thats just my .02.

Jason
Old Jan 10, 2011, 08:28 PM
Find More Posts by smasher41
Quote:
Maverickma, I think my 4000 weighs around 460g but anything bigger than a 3000mah I think is a waste as you dont gain any performance and just adds dead weight. A 3000 would give I would guess a solid 7-8 min flight. but thats just my .02.

Jason
Agreed, i had a 3000 and 3300 4 cell, and the 3000 felt good, but the 3300 just make the meteor fly heavy.

even with a 2650 i get well over 5 minutes if needed.

Saturday i picked up a spare wing from Grayson hobby's storefront, and will be installing hk312 electric retracts in it, just barely has enough thickness in the wing to do so.
At this time i think i will finish the mains first, and if they perform to my liking, i will mod the nose gear for retracts also. doesnt help that the 3rd etract is on backorder LOL.

Ill post pictures when i get a chance.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 08:48 PM
Find More Posts by tshiah
Quote:

Jason
That's good news for me. I ordered 2 of the 3000mAH 30C Sky Lipos for my Meteor. Haven't got the chance to maiden yet because my ARF only came with one Y connector (for the ailerons). Shouldn't it come with another one for the rudder and nose wheel? I emailed Nitroplanes but no response yet.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiah View Post
That's good news for me. I ordered 2 of the 3000mAH 30C Sky Lipos for my Meteor. Haven't got the chance to maiden yet because my ARF only came with one Y connector (for the ailerons). Shouldn't it come with another one for the rudder and nose wheel? I emailed Nitroplanes but no response yet.
Yes, Mine was foating around in the fuse if i remember correctly.

however, i did away with the y harness's and pluged the ailerons in AIL and AUX1, then put the rudder in RUD and the nose sterring in GEAR. I know once the retracts are in I will need to change this but for stock i like the steering seperate so i can have crazy high rudder and still tame the ground steering.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:28 PM
Quote:

Jason
Good info Jason. Do you prefer a 4 cell or 5 cell lipo in the Meteor?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:32 AM
Find More Posts by texbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher41 View Post
Saturday i picked up a spare wing from Grayson hobby's storefront,
I dont see any replacement parts for meteor anywhere on Graysons - where is it listed?

Why is the search function so bad on all these rc sites?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by texbird View Post
I dont see any replacement parts for meteor anywhere on Graysons - where is it listed?

Why is the search function so bad on all these rc sites?
he didnt have it listed yet, call them ( they are closed today due to weather here in GA)

however, he did tell me he had 9 more sets of wings( you will need to transfer the plastic parts over) canopys, landing gear sets, and fan/motor units. he may have had horizontal and vertical fins but i cant remember off hand. no fusulage's though.

hope this helps.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:39 PM
Find More Posts by texbird
Has anyone actually done shipping tape or some other coating (silk?) to a meteor and then crashed it? If so, how did it hold up?