Oct 16, 2016, 03:51 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33
Once mine were replaced there have been no problems. It is one of the most fun planes that I have!! it flies amazing! I got some more video...
Do you recall which model of FSM gear you used?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2016, 12:32 AM
EDF Balance GURU and RC addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend
I used the same gear the the 980mm warbirds use...
Oct 17, 2016, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend
You guys mean FMS, right? Or am I missing something...

BTW - there are four of five in our club who have Meteors and we fly them on 3000mah 5s - stock otherwise. I know everyone will cluck their tongues but one of our more adventurous pilots started doing it and we all copied. They seem to last well. My old Meteor has been flying for several years now. However, no one does a full flight with WOT. The Thrust to Weight is great (out of sight climbs) and the flight time is about the same as with 4s. We do the same with the FT Viggens - the stock system is about like the Meteor's (3200kv, 60A ESC, meant for 4s).
Oct 17, 2016, 11:00 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
Peter, sorry for the late response. You need a hat like this:

https://cmureadme.files.wordpress.co...9/cork-hat.jpg
Oct 17, 2016, 11:29 AM
EDF Balance GURU and RC addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladykate
You guys mean FMS, right? Or am I missing something...

BTW - there are four of five in our club who have Meteors and we fly them on 3000mah 5s - stock otherwise. I know everyone will cluck their tongues but one of our more adventurous pilots started doing it and we all copied. They seem to last well. My old Meteor has been flying for several years now. However, no one does a full flight with WOT. The Thrust to Weight is great (out of sight climbs) and the flight time is about the same as with 4s. We do the same with the FT Viggens - the stock system is about like the Meteor's (3200kv, 60A ESC, meant for 4s).
That motor is fine on 5s... I prefer the 6s set up though because the amps are actually lower than what they would be on 5s. I am going to be trying a new set up pretty soon. I will take out the 11 blade and put in the 12 or 14 blade to see how it works... if it doesn't work well the 11 blade will go back in... I really like the plane though!! It flies amazing!!
Oct 17, 2016, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33
That motor is fine on 5s... I prefer the 6s set up though because the amps are actually lower than what they would be on 5s. I am going to be trying a new set up pretty soon. I will take out the 11 blade and put in the 12 or 14 blade to see how it works... if it doesn't work well the 11 blade will go back in... I really like the plane though!! It flies amazing!!
I tried a 12 blade 6s about two years ago (just after the Meteor II came out). I thought it would give a much better sound. While the sound was OK, the volume was less and the overall effect was less. It did have good power.

They are fun to work with - and since you must work with most of them just to get them flight ready - it is a plus, plus. ;-}
Oct 17, 2016, 04:48 PM
"Peter, sorry for the late response. You need a hat like this:"

LOL.... that hat with corks is probably a good idea! I am not sure if I ever had one, but most likely did at some stage. When fly (the insect not the past-time) season starts again I will make something up! Insect repellent doesn't work very well at all really.
Oct 17, 2016, 10:20 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC
"Peter, sorry for the late response. You need a hat like this:"

LOL.... that hat with corks is probably a good idea! I am not sure if I ever had one, but most likely did at some stage. When fly (the insect not the past-time) season starts again I will make something up! Insect repellent doesn't work very well at all really.
And I like your fighter style paint job - any particular full-size in mind?

I think the Meteor could make a passable Supermarine Swift model. Or possibly an A4 although that would take some work.

http://www.geocities.ws/jetnetuk/photos/swift2.jpg
Oct 17, 2016, 10:45 PM
I think it was a F-112 Meteor....
In service from 1969 to 1992
lol
They were somewhat top secret and rare to find remaining samples of..... most went to Israel in the early 70's.
Oct 20, 2016, 11:05 AM
OK... this is irritating. Brought a new Meteor to the field this morning - it was 42 degrees (F) and neither main would extend. Fortunately, I had the foresight to install a bungee hook in it and I had my dolly launcher with me. Got some flying in but was irritated about the gear.

In previous posts, Gooniac and others talk about the gear ( a lot - because it isn't very reliable ) and I noticed that an FMS 980mm warbird gear was used and it is more reliable. I also noticed that some of the others (such as the HK gear set) isn't much better than the stock Meteor stuff. Did I read all that correctly? If so, I'm going to get some FMS gear and stick in mine.
Oct 20, 2016, 11:16 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC
I think it was a F-112 Meteor....
In service from 1969 to 1992
lol
They were somewhat top secret and rare to find remaining samples of..... most went to Israel in the early 70's.
R-I G-H-T.

I am painting mine to look kinda like a Supermarine Swift.

http://combatace.com/uploads/monthly...1302092725.jpg
Oct 20, 2016, 02:08 PM
Yes, it has been widely discussed in this thread that cold weather definitely affects the reliability of the gear operating. As far as other gear, I haven't used any FMS gear but I have had some HK gear and didn't have any issues with them. That doesn't mean others haven't though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladykate
OK... this is irritating. Brought a new Meteor to the field this morning - it was 42 degrees (F) and neither main would extend. Fortunately, I had the foresight to install a bungee hook in it and I had my dolly launcher with me. Got some flying in but was irritated about the gear.

In previous posts, Gooniac and others talk about the gear ( a lot - because it isn't very reliable ) and I noticed that an FMS 980mm warbird gear was used and it is more reliable. I also noticed that some of the others (such as the HK gear set) isn't much better than the stock Meteor stuff. Did I read all that correctly? If so, I'm going to get some FMS gear and stick in mine.
Oct 20, 2016, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH
Yes, it has been widely discussed in this thread that cold weather definitely affects the reliability of the gear operating. As far as other gear, I haven't used any FMS gear but I have had some HK gear and didn't have any issues with them. That doesn't mean others haven't though.
I just noticed that the Freewing F-5 gear is the same size. I can get those easily. It is a good gearset - the F-5 weighs 2200 grams so the springs on the gear may be a bit stiff but they should last. The strut channels will have to be widened a little on the Meteor.
Oct 20, 2016, 04:24 PM
Fly it like you're in it
In another Dynam thread, one of the posters sprayed the retracts with electronic cleaner to remove the grease, and hasn't had any cold weather issues since.
Oct 20, 2016, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by microlyn
In another Dynam thread, one of the posters sprayed the retracts with electronic cleaner to remove the grease, and hasn't had any cold weather issues since.
I'm trying that as we speak. I still think I'll change the gear - the cold weather problem isn't the only issue with them. However, I do want to see if cleaning the area does anything. I'll let it sit in the truck tonight and see if it works tomorrow (will get down to low 40s tonight)...

Quick Reply