Apr 07, 2013, 07:52 PM
Quest for Speed!!!
ok guys, the meteor v2 is coming with clear canopy which is different from old canopy which is tinted, does anyone wanna trade their new v2 clear canopy with a new tinted canopy from stock or for direct cash/PayPal...please pm me

Mike
to remove ads between posts
Apr 12, 2013, 12:07 PM
dbc
dbc
dbc
My first Meteor got about 20 flights before the motor burned up, taking the ESC with it and resulting in a crash that destroyed the airframe. This was about a year ago and I recently got a new one - have about 15 flights on it so far.

Power measurements really surprised me : new one is drawing about 42a and 620w on 4s - about the same as the first plane. BUT: on 5s it's over 67a and 1250 watts - way more than the 58a, 1050w of the first plane.

I'm reluctant to push it much on 5s fearing another early failure. Any idea why the increased power draw on the new one? BTW: same 2200 mah 5s used for power measurements in both planes.
Apr 12, 2013, 04:07 PM
TakeOff=optional,Landing= Must
Is the new one balanced well?
You could always add a small BEC to power the rx & servos so the plane is still controllable should the ESC fail.
I've done this to all my planes which run current levels towards the upper limit of the ESC.
Last edited by fg1972; Apr 12, 2013 at 04:13 PM. Reason: more info
Apr 12, 2013, 04:15 PM
nom
nom
So where can I purchase the V2 in the US?
Apr 12, 2013, 08:02 PM
Check the motor on that new one....
The Me-262 uses the same fan unit and the same motor type, but it is a 3500kv. It wouldn't surprise me if Dynam have moved to using that on all their EDF's.
The old Meteor motor had a GOLD bell end, the 3500kv has a PURPLE bell end... so it will be easy to see and tell.
Your 4S test numbers might be a bit inaccurate, so check the motor.
5S on 3500kv in their fan would give about the numbers you mention.
Apr 12, 2013, 09:16 PM
dbc
dbc
dbc
My new plane's motor has a blue bell - but Meteors have been supplied with this blue motor for quite a while now. If its really a 3500 KV motor, it seems the 4s power draw should have been a good bit more.
Apr 12, 2013, 09:34 PM
Air Assassin
I just received my new Meteor from http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/. It is a V-2 Model.
Apr 12, 2013, 10:56 PM
Peter, Dynam has done away with the gold/chrome scheme on their motors and gone with a blue/black scheme with a printed KV and size on the side. The only exception I've seen is the hawksky's having a solid black motor with printing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueAce
I just received my new Meteor from http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/. It is a V-2 Model.
I mentioned that a few pages back. While Dynam doesn't advertise a "v2" there are a few changes made mid production run.

Last saturday I assembled one at the shop and other than cutting out a bit more room for the elevator pushrods to travel I didnt feel any other mods were needed. My personal meteor was from Grayson's first batch and its still kicking on 5 cell, amp draw ~58 AMPS on 5 cell still with a very well balanced fan.

Mike_eee, I will check and see if Grayson's replacement canopys for the meteor are clear or smoke for you if you are still looking for one.

Fyi I now work at Grayson in their showroom/store on Saturdays for the local customers.
Apr 13, 2013, 01:12 AM
Quest for Speed!!!
Hello smasher,

I think the v2 has the clear, if they have v2 clear spare canopies..i am saved..why cant they use one of their kits as a parts plane and save my day lol.

Anyway please let me know..i desp to find a clear canopy....hate acetone to clean my canopy..learned my lesson

Mike

I mentioned that a few pages back. While Dynam doesn't advertise a "v2" there are a few changes made mid production run.

Last saturday I assembled one at the shop and other than cutting out a bit more room for the elevator pushrods to travel I didnt feel any other mods were needed. My personal meteor was from Grayson's first batch and its still kicking on 5 cell, amp draw ~58 AMPS on 5 cell still with a very well balanced fan.

Mike_eee, I will check and see if Grayson's replacement canopys for the meteor are clear or smoke for you if you are still looking for one.

Fyi I now work at Grayson in their showroom/store on Saturdays for the local customers.[/QUOTE]
Apr 13, 2013, 08:14 AM
Air Assassin
Grayson replacement canopies are tinted.
Apr 13, 2013, 08:21 AM
I STILL haven't even opened up my second Meteor box.....
I forget how long ago I got it (6 months?).... who knows what 'version' that is....
Not that I will keep or use the EDF combo anyway.

I made up a CS12 rotor in the Dynam housing today, with a CyclonePower IR550-2200kv.
These work well on 5S or 6S (same as if in a CS10 rotor with Freewing Housing). So you get 1000W on 5S, or 1350W on 6S = FAST.

Not that I built that one up for a Meteor, but now that I even REMEMBER it..... it may as well go into that new one.
My original Meteor is still going strong, and blisteringly fast (when you want it to be) with its CP IR550 CS10 6S. The CS12 rotor will drive it a bit harder - not much, maybe 100W.

eg. This is the pre-assembled, balanced way to get it in a CS10 form. All others I build up and balance myself.
http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=2888

For CS12 version, you need to buy a CS12 fan unit ($18), and the CP IR550 motor ($50), and can throw those into the Dynam shroud - thus a straight replacement into a Meteor.
Though I always mod the fan area of all EDF's with plywood rails to bolt fans in.
Apr 13, 2013, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_eee
Hello smasher,

I think the v2 has the clear, if they have v2 clear spare canopies..i am saved..why cant they use one of their kits as a parts plane and save my day lol.

Anyway please let me know..i desp to find a clear canopy....hate acetone to clean my canopy..learned my lesson

Mike

Fyi I now work at Grayson in their showroom/store on Saturdays for the local customers.
[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueAce
Grayson replacement canopies are tinted.
Yep, all the replacement canopies are smoke tinted.
Mike, if you can wait a bit, Once the store display sells then Ill build another and use a tinted canopy instead of the included clear for ya.
Apr 16, 2013, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC
I STILL haven't even opened up my second Meteor box.....
I forget how long ago I got it (6 months?).... who knows what 'version' that is....
Not that I will keep or use the EDF combo anyway.

I made up a CS12 rotor in the Dynam housing today, with a CyclonePower IR550-2200kv.
These work well on 5S or 6S (same as if in a CS10 rotor with Freewing Housing). So you get 1000W on 5S, or 1350W on 6S = FAST.

Not that I built that one up for a Meteor, but now that I even REMEMBER it..... it may as well go into that new one.
My original Meteor is still going strong, and blisteringly fast (when you want it to be) with its CP IR550 CS10 6S. The CS12 rotor will drive it a bit harder - not much, maybe 100W.

eg. This is the pre-assembled, balanced way to get it in a CS10 form. All others I build up and balance myself.
http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=2888

For CS12 version, you need to buy a CS12 fan unit ($18), and the CP IR550 motor ($50), and can throw those into the Dynam shroud - thus a straight replacement into a Meteor.
Though I always mod the fan area of all EDF's with plywood rails to bolt fans in.
Sounds like a nice set up for the meteor.
Apr 16, 2013, 09:16 PM
The Need4Speed
Just received mine today.
Apr 23, 2013, 01:07 PM
Air Assassin
Still haven't found replacement fuse...but I have finished the new Meteor that I got! I kept my old paint scheme but made some changes. I have plans for the parts from the first one if I never get a fuse. I put in a seperate 5A Bec, thrust tube and had to do some Elev mods as well. This time I even had to shave one of the plastic mounting tabs for the Rudd mount to get full throw on Elev as well as remove foam on down side. She definitely catches the eye!!

Quick Reply