Jan 19, 2011, 05:10 PM
Always around.......
Stock this plane has been dopplered close to 90 mph or well at least mine has. Even with gear hanging down. I use 30C 2200's in mine at present and when I go 5S will be getting 3300 30C's as I would like more flight time to go with my speed boost. At present with my 2200's I fly for 3 minutes but stretch to 3:30 in emergencies. Best bang for the buck in this size plane. Dunno about hand launching as I dont plan on trying it .

Jason
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2011, 05:46 PM
That motor does not seem like it is that much better then stock.

http://edfhobbies.com/index.php?rout...&product_id=91

only 300 kv more. its it really a good upgrade ? It also says it may blow up on 5s?

Anyone tried these?
http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...roducts_id=704
Jan 20, 2011, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoJay
Stock this plane has been dopplered close to 90 mph or well at least mine has. Even with gear hanging down. I use 30C 2200's in mine at present and when I go 5S will be getting 3300 30C's as I would like more flight time to go with my speed boost. At present with my 2200's I fly for 3 minutes but stretch to 3:30 in emergencies. Best bang for the buck in this size plane. Dunno about hand launching as I dont plan on trying it .

Jason
Is that with the trust tube? (Saw from earlier post) When you put in the poster board did you make it the same thickness from motor to tail or did you taper it?
Jan 20, 2011, 12:56 PM
Has anyone had problems with the horzontial stab flexing or folding during flight? It looks really flimsy. I'm thinking about adding some carbon tape, anyone else mod this to be stronger?
Jan 20, 2011, 12:58 PM
I have not modded mine at all. Only problem I saw was some flexing of the Wings at high speed.
Jan 20, 2011, 02:45 PM
Fresno,

Does the Meteor have a low voltage cut off? If so, will it allow you to restart the engine and maintain flight control so that you can bring it down safely? Also, would love to get this plane but have flight times more around 8-10 minutes with throttle management. Any suggestions on an appropriate battery? Thanks for all the posts. I am on the fence with the meteor or waiting for a Habu to come up on Hobb-e-mart for around 250.00.

Thanks
Jan 20, 2011, 02:59 PM
Not sure about LVC. I run 4s 2650 packs with Throttle management I can get about 7+min. However it does make me real nervous and Throttle MGMT is just not as much fun
Jan 20, 2011, 03:26 PM
Thanks bigmoe,

Also, I have a Spektrum 5e tx and was looking at dropping a spektrum rx in. Does it require a 6 channel or can I get away with 5 ch? Also, if down the road I want to add retracts, how many channels do I need? Sure that will answer my question of how many channels to go with? Sorry for the newb questions.

Thanks!
Jan 20, 2011, 03:34 PM
Stock you will need 4 channels I believe. when you add retracts it will depend on if you are going to use a Y-harness or something similar. but I would think that would add at least 2 more channels. 1 for wings 1 for Nose. Get a better radio then spring for retracts. A better radio will last you a lot longer.

You can pick up some nice used dx7's these days pretty cheap. Then you will have more channels and mixing options to play use.

you can probably get it to work with a dx5 but I think that model only allows for 1 plane to bind at a time. Huge hassle to setup more planes.
Jan 20, 2011, 04:50 PM
Always around.......
As to the thrust tube yes my speed dopplered was with thrust tube. It is tapered from the fan to the 80% FSA exit. I have a foam donut at the exit to help hold and stabalize the tube.

As far as a 4S pack I would say the stock size of 2650mah or there abouts is the right size for a good 5 min flight. You could go up to 3000mah but any bigger and I feel it would be deminishing returns.

LVC on the ESC will allow you to maintain control and re-arm the motor. But the ESC default LVC is WAY to low IMHO. You can reprogram it to the higher LVC using any Turnigy Plush/HobbyWing Pentium programming card or stick programming instructions. This is what I did and my LVC is currently set to 3.1 or 3.2v per cell which is the highest these ESC's come with. But at that voltage give you enough to get it back easily. I have done it a few times being to generous during my flights.

Jason
Jan 20, 2011, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambfries
Thanks bigmoe,

Also, I have a Spektrum 5e tx and was looking at dropping a spektrum rx in. Does it require a 6 channel or can I get away with 5 ch? Also, if down the road I want to add retracts, how many channels do I need? Sure that will answer my question of how many channels to go with? Sorry for the newb questions.

Thanks!
5 channels is enough with retracts. Use two Y-harnesses for the retracts.
These are the channels:
- Throttle
- Elevator
- Ailerons (2 servos using Y-harness to single channel)
- Rudder (2 servos using Y-harness to single channel)
- Retracts (3 units tied together using two Y-harnesses)

I have a Hobby City 6ch Orange Spektrum compatible RX in mine, works great. I´m using a separate channel for my thrust vectoring so all 6 channels will be occupied when I add retracts. I hope the stock ESC will supply enough power to all this equipment on a 5S pack?
Jan 20, 2011, 06:41 PM
fly and then fly some more!
can you all tell me what size ESC this plane comes with? it does not state on the nitroplanes website and of course their live chat person couldnt figure it out either.

nevermind, I found it on Graysonhobby website, 60A.
Jan 20, 2011, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizchief
Has anyone had problems with the horzontial stab flexing or folding during flight? It looks really flimsy. I'm thinking about adding some carbon tape, anyone else mod this to be stronger?
I added carbon fiber strips under the elevators as it did seem to flex under high stress.

between that and adding the RTV down the wing/fuse joint it seems to have made a huge difference in stability for me.
Jan 21, 2011, 03:35 AM
CSI
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
The big brown truck rolled up this evening and it was time to get excited! Wow, huge box containing my Meteor EDF. I've been pacing all week to get this for my weekend project. The box looks perfect, so I open it up, remove the kit box, then start opening up the Dynam boxes containing the airframe parts.
Hummm, funny that Dynam just tosses the parts in the boxes without any padding...not even newspaper? My A-10 came that way too???

Out comes the wing, darn, a couple of gouges and some area of scratches. Out comes the fuselage, oh wait, it's snagged on something. I see it, it's the EDF unit dangling by the wires to the esc. It appears the EDF unit has had a field day banging into the fuselage all the way from China. The canopy is completely smashed in, the sides of the fuselage look like the were bashed in all over by a sledgehammer. Deep gouges all down the top and sides.
Nice job Dynam. Like I said, no packing material at all, yet the shipping box was in perfect shape. This sure put a damper on my weekend. I know this foam is extra durable and all, but geeze, it's not steel!

The email to Nitro has been sent, waiting on reply with RMA number. Now the hassle of reboxing, shipping, etc.
Has everyone else's arrived in great shape, even without packing?
I'm sad.............
Ken
Jan 21, 2011, 07:22 AM
The packaging is terrible. There is nothing inside to prevent crushing during shipping. My canopy was crushed, but luckily was able to pop it back into place.

Quick Reply