Oct 04, 2001, 01:39 PM
Thread OP

I can finally fly the big boys!

Last night my wife and I traded in her car for a minivan. I can finally buy a plane with a single piece main wing larger than 48"!

The downside is I'm not cool anymore. I'm a software developer, who spends 12+ hours a day in a chair, looking at a computer. The rest of my time is spent with my family in the 'burbs, or messing around with RC planes. I've been so far away from cool for so long, but I just now realized that fact. Uhg... Reality is cruel.
Oct 04, 2001, 01:56 PM
DNA
DNA
Yes you are, just older and more practical now.

But I STILL don't own a minivan.
Oct 04, 2001, 02:23 PM
Flying Welder Pilot
Dave-search around on the dash of that mini van, they all have a button on them that you can push and the mini van will auto pilot to the closest Macdonalds.

So what is your first Big Boy going to be a Spacewalker??

Gordon
Oct 04, 2001, 02:24 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
can you put some flames on the side of it????.. Or how bout a bumper sticker that reads "my wife made me buy this"......
Oct 04, 2001, 02:27 PM
jrb
jrb
I knew it!
Oct 04, 2001, 02:33 PM
Obviously not a Stude!
Oct 04, 2001, 02:40 PM
Electriaddict
I fit my 60 Inch tutor jet in my Honda Civic, I lean the front pass seat back and lay everything on there with the fuse laying across the back seat
Oct 04, 2001, 02:48 PM
I like cheese...
I took the other option, a Station Wagon! (hey, at least it's a Volvo).
I was flying pattern at the time, and had to have something long enough for the fuse. I could also fit my CG Ultimate, fully assembled, in the back. Now it's great for open class sailplanes!
The back seats fold completely flat, allowing 6 feet from the tailgate to the back of the front seats. Plenty of room. -- Whizwaz
Oct 04, 2001, 02:54 PM
Electriaddict
The Stude is cool my buddy has one with a 327 4bbl in it they were way ahead of their time! I saw a pic of Plane crazy with his F-18 jammed in a tt Audi
Oct 04, 2001, 03:10 PM
Thread OP
I would love to get a Space Walker. Now I just need my wife to let me use “her” van. I have a convertible and I have driven to a local field with a plane hanging out.... once. I had to drive very slowly to keep from damaging the plane.
Oct 05, 2001, 02:18 AM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Dave,

Sorry to here you have joined the ranks of the un-cool, but there are a lot of us there. I traded a 1969 Austin Healey Sprite for a Minivan- Talk about sad and my wife got rid of her Honda Del-Sol for an Isuzu Rodeo, That's what happens when your family size increases. Can't put 2 1/2 people in a 2 seater

Rob

P.S. But it's okay, I'm teaching my 3 yr. old daughter to fly my Tiger Moth and my Lite Stick (see avatar) Got to get them trained young!!
Last edited by RMason; Oct 05, 2001 at 02:21 AM.
Oct 05, 2001, 07:38 AM
Thread OP
We bought our convertible when our son was about five, but he loved it when I put the top down. We even took a few 18-hour road trips, when I could still drive that far and not feel like crude for three days. We never thought about a bigger vehicle, but then we did know that we were going to have son #2... after a decade. However, it just does not seem as easy to get around with an infant as it did when I was ten years younger. With the dog, luggage, and the new giant car seat, and a pre-teen, even in the Accord, we were crammed in for "trips to grandmas" and rarely did I have room for any planes.

I knew I had really gone around the bend when the girl selling us the car pointed out the hooks on the back seat for grocery bags, and I actually heard myself utter, with a little amazement, "...cool." Is it all downhill from here? Do I have to buy some cardigans and throw out my Pearl Jam CDs? Uggg… (again)
Oct 05, 2001, 09:09 AM
I used to have a mini-van (toyota)..Man do I miss it. It was an old white one that the kids and I painted stuff on..I blew up around 300,000 miles. Now I drive an old caddy (talk about uncool, but it was cheap). Oh well guess I should start smoking big ole stogies when I drive it.

Rocky
Oct 05, 2001, 12:32 PM
Visitor from Reality
Hi Dave
Blow cool - enjoy your van! I ran an Aerostar for five years, loved the view over the top of cars and even small Stupid, Useless Vehicles, the ability to haul toy airplanes, dogs, weird stuff bought under wifely impetus at hardware stores. We have no kids either.

BTW - hope you got one where the cupholders accept soda cans, coffee cups, and juice boxes

Okay, my old Ford moved rather than having anything remotely approaching performance. With its truck chassis turning circle, parking was something thought deeply about in advance. But for all that, when it came down to another van or a wagon, the choice was finally explained to me by the howl of a VW V6 slinging a black Passat wagon down the road and up the gears on a test drive!

So, now I have something that is immense fun to drive at the front end, with a back end that hauls model aircraft with ease. But I still have the odd yearning for that collosal box on wheels...

Anyway - cool in this game is flying the kind of electric model that makes all your buddies go a little green-ish - and now you can haul one down the site. Bigger only flies better if you can get it to your flying field

Rob - a club mate of mine once hauled a TopFlite 1/6th SE5A and a 60 powered FAI pattern ship around in an ancient Triumph Spitfire ragtop, often at the same time. We always enjoyed watching him load and unload . His "piece de resistance" was buying a huge prop driven BAe "Hawk" kit in England and hauling it back some eight hours drive to Scotland - no matter which way he juggled its vast moulded fuselage and fin around, he couldn't get the top up and ended up driving the whole trip 'topless' - in March!
Oct 05, 2001, 12:37 PM

Wing Area

Wing Area [adj] - What you get more of in the car when you leave the wife at home.

Quick Reply