Oct 17, 2012, 08:03 AM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtimeasto View Post
Great going Ian well deserved speeds mate.
Your a awesome Dser.

Nick have you got a DSX as well, if so did you fly it.
I'm really temped to get a Wizard. Just gotta come up with the CASH somehow.
I do have a wiz dsx but I didn't fly it, My wiz has a gyro in it so it wouldn't have made the RC speeds list anyway..after Ian's flight late in the day I was tempted to fly my thundertaker but I'm saving it for WR conditions.
The planes I did fly I have decided to repaint so I can see them.
visibility issues kept me from going fast yesterday so I decided to land rather than crash some nice planes.
Even Ians Plane was very hard to see at times
Ian worked very hard for it staying in the groove in ratty air for what seemed to be forever waiting for that gust that would provide the results we were looking for but it finally paid off.
Jones pass is a very unique place to fly and we only get 1 or 2 days a year that it is fast and accessable,,we had to bust thew some big snow drifts to get there yesterday and it snowed again last night so next time it will be a long hike.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2012, 09:38 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Date: Oct 19, 2012
Pilot: Andrew Palmer
Plane: Scratcho
Speed: 179mph
Gun: Falcon DS
Witness: Alex Hewson
Gyro: no

Pilot: Andrew Palmer
Plane: JW60
Speed: 161mph
Witness: Alex Hewson

Pilot: Alex Hewson
Plane: Scratcho
Speed: 220mph
Witness: Andrew Palmer

Pilot: Alex Hewson
Plane: Reaper R60
Speed: 169mph
Witness: Andrew Palmer
Oct 19, 2012, 12:30 AM
AvB
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Must have been a great day. NE or SW??

I am nuts. I've just finished building the very light PU Scratcho, spitting and growling about how stupidly long all this building stuff takes, and thinking nah, I've had enough of this ... it's too hard ... I'm stopping any building projects. I have plenty of planes to fly etc etc.

Then I read your report ... Scratcho 220 and I know how crappy that Scratcho of yours is, and immediately I'm thinking "I gotta make Alex a really good fast one!". As I said, I'm nuts.
Oct 19, 2012, 05:27 AM
Remember... Fly for fun!
South West. Was stringer as we were packing up.

So strong it blew up the Reaper (wasn't built for flying super fast) If I had flown the D60, I'm sure I could have nudged 300.

AHHHH need fast models!

Still the Scratcho was SOOOOOOOOO fun to fly! Ripping fast low laps.

Wish I had got more video like the Tebo Style low laps with the Reaper, and the flutter and explosion.

Andrew keep doing what you're doing. Nobody does it better
Oct 21, 2012, 04:36 AM
608 km/h!
Hey guys, heres some speeds form Johanna today. We had 25-35 knots and a combination of rabbit and great air.

Date: Oct 21 2012
Pilot: Josh Callaghan
Plane: Scorcher (Home brew)
Speed: 237mph (New PB) AARRGH fluttered. Was on the way to 250!
Gun: Pro Speed
Witness: Matt Curry
Gyro: No

Date: Oct 21 2012
Pilot: Matt Curry
Plane: Dynamic 60
Speed: 207mph (New PB)
Witness: Josh Callaghan

Date: Oct 21, 2012
Pilot: Matt Curry
Plane: JW60
Speed: 100mph
Witness: Josh Callaghan
Oct 21, 2012, 09:46 AM
Thread OP
Congratulations on the Scorcher Josh!!!
Oct 21, 2012, 02:39 PM
608 km/h!
Thanks Chris, I cant wait to get even more from it!
Oct 21, 2012, 05:17 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Hey Chris, any chance of getting some of the NZ speeds loaded up? There is about half a dozen from a while back. Just because it includes some PBs from some people. Like Andrew Palmer's 192 with AVBs DSX
Oct 21, 2012, 07:35 PM
Chris

I noticed that you have got Gareth Trubshaw in as an Aussie but although the speeds that he listed were done in Australia he lives in Fielding New Zealand and is a Kiwi

Cheers

Jono
Oct 22, 2012, 02:07 AM
Pilot: Glenn Couper (PB)
Plane: Dynamic D60
Speed: 235 mph
Gun: Pro Comp
Witness: Justin Barr

Pilot: Justin Barr
Plane: JW60 DS
Speed: 167 mph (PB)
Witness: Glenn Couper

Pilot: Glenn Couper
Plane: JW60 Single Spar
Speed: 149 mph
Witness: Justin Barr
Oct 22, 2012, 04:11 AM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Wicked speeds!

New site? Got any pics or info?
Oct 22, 2012, 04:36 AM
Not a new site but new for us within the last 12 months. I heard a few folk have been paragliding there. 20 min walk in, an hour and 15 mins north of Auckland city. Insane front side lift, huge valley backside. DS over forest, SW only for DS. Landing site is grass but long, narrow strip along ridge, Crew do gorse cutting to develop landing strip every time. We are pretty keen to hear a Kinetic banging the shear layer, Alex! Will PM you details if you want and anyone else interested. Land is private access but landowner seems sweet with a phone call.

I have been hitting google earth hard and come up with 2 other new sites which have great potential both of which we have had a prod at but got slightly off angle. These are good alternate wind directions so we can pretty much fly a huge valley in most wind. Unfortunately all are about 1.5 hours from Auckland and 20 knots is good wind up here.
Oct 22, 2012, 07:25 AM
AvB
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Strewth speeds of 150 - 235mph around Auckland ... that's brilliant. Superb result. You guys are doing some great pioneering there! Good on yers.
Oct 23, 2012, 04:31 AM
608 km/h!
Here's a vid of our big day on Sunday
Josh and matt's big day out @ Johanna (9 min 49 sec)
Oct 23, 2012, 07:52 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Another one to fix:

Carl Sheppard 165 Reaper 60 New Zealand (Should be Forsyth) Jonathan Wilson Not Posted (should be Sports Pro Radar)

Quick Reply