Where do WE belong in RC Groups? - RC Groups
Oct 04, 2001, 10:24 AM
I like cheese...
Question

Where do WE belong in RC Groups?

Has anyone noticed the "Forum Menu" on the left of he screen?
You can jump quickly to a specific area (Electric Flight, Helis, etc...)
My question is: Where does the sailplane catagory fall. Currently, we are under Airplanes (glow). This is odd, unless you have a power pod.
Then again, we can't be in electric either, unless you consider our receiver batteries.
I guess those of us the fly pure sailplanes, (hi-start, winch, or tow to get into the air) will have to get used being classified with the glow airplanes.
Anyone else have any comments? -- Whizwaz
Hey, someone changed the Airplanes (glow) to just planes. That's cool. I thought I was just whining. (i do that a lot)
Last edited by Whizwaz; Oct 04, 2001 at 02:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 19, 2001, 09:56 PM
Well, lets see:

If you use a hi-start then does that make you rubber powered?

If you use a winch then surely that's a form of elecric powered flight?

If you go with aerotow then the towplane is usually glow powered?

If you catch a thermal then are you solar powered?

Coming out of a thermal and trading altitude for speed then you must be gravity powered.

I give up! Where do sailplanes belong?

Quirky
Sep 06, 2004, 10:23 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
You folks bring up an interesting point. I sometimes feel like the "red-headed step child" around my flying buddys. Even the active soaring guys here in my area are into scale aerotow or electrics and seem to have forgotten their beginnings. Recently I have been checking into kits for earlier designs (Sagitta, Aquila,.....) and intend on making something along those lines my winter project.
Sep 07, 2004, 12:16 AM
An Original!
Gee. You must be somewhere completely different than I am.
I don't have a Forum Menu to the left. I do have a stack of (17) sub-menus that I can show or hide and "Sailplanes" is one of them and it has (7) sailplane type sub-menus under that heading. So where I am right now is:
RC Groups Discussion > Airplanes - Sailplanes > Thermal > Where do WE belong in RC Groups?
Sep 07, 2004, 12:21 AM
An Original!
Go here and see if you see the same thing.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php?
Sep 07, 2004, 12:48 AM
Int'l Slope Observer

Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizwaz
Has anyone noticed the "Forum Menu" on the left of he screen?
You can jump quickly to a specific area (Electric Flight, Helis, etc...)
My question is: Where does the sailplane catagory fall. Currently, we are under Airplanes (glow)...
Huh?

I have no clue what you're talking about either. The breadcrumb menus at the top of my browser say this...
RC Groups Discussion > Airplanes - Sailplanes > Thermal > Where do WE belong in RC Groups?

That heirarchy is correct and it is intuitive to the user.

I like the new look of the site, and I think it's a lot easier to navigate around then before the switch took plance (maybe 6 months ago).

Happy Flying ;-)

Webguyjv
Sep 07, 2004, 08:00 AM
TLAR Black Belt
This thread was started in Oct 2001. Obviously things have changed since then. I wonder why this came back up now?

EJ
Sep 07, 2004, 09:29 AM
An Original!
Oh man! Didn't even notice the date. Guess I got sucked in this time.
Sep 07, 2004, 08:05 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
I apologize to all. I assumed this was more of a rhetorical question and also did not realize the date and changes that have been made to this site. As you can see I am new to this forum and actually spend very little time on the internet overall. My free time is usually spent building sailplanes or pursuing other hobbies. In no way did I mean to belittle this site or the subscribers. This is an extremely interesting, entertaining and informative forum and I hope to enjoy and utilize the information herein often. I am by no means a newbie to RC (25+ years) and what I infered by the previous posts was grossly misintepreted on my part. Long story about the preoccupations on my mind yesterday when I wrote it. I guess what I was trying to say was that in my area most of the glider guiders have gone either electric, large scale aerotow (I do that too) or full out competition contest flying. I long for the days when we all got together and just soared without worrying about spot landing or trying to pull the wings off on a full pedal winch launch. I love flying that way too and am not judging these styles either but I seem to be the only one around here that just flies for the sake of seeing my plane go up and stay up in lift. Oh well, maybe I'm just getting old and my mind is narrowing.

Again, I apologize to the administrateors and subscribers of this forum.
Sep 07, 2004, 08:13 PM
Welcome to RCGroups, then!
Sep 07, 2004, 08:22 PM
TLAR Black Belt
Sean:

No problem. Maybe you and I could get together for that fun flying sometime. Send me a PM and we can swap email addresses to keep in touch.

BTW: Its not the first time something bubbled up from the past because of not paying attention to the original post date. I've done it myself.

EJ
Marion, MS
Sep 07, 2004, 10:02 PM
Hi Sean,
I use to fly with the Pensacola bunch, Rusty Rude, Asher and all the rest. who is flying their now.
Charlie
Sep 08, 2004, 12:33 AM
An Original!
No need to apologize Sean. I didn't mean to over-react. I just thought that Ezone had somehow changed again or crashed or something weird had happened (again). It does that every once in a while. Welcome to the discussion group.
Sep 08, 2004, 01:32 AM
Int'l Slope Observer

Sean - Please Don't Apologize

...My post was merely to point out that I didn't see the Web page navigation problem that was cited by Whizwaz (the original post in this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizwaz
Has anyone noticed the "Forum Menu" on the left of he screen? You can jump quickly to a specific area (Electric Flight, Helis, etc...)
My question is: Where does the sailplane catagory fall. Currently, we are under Airplanes (glow)....
,,,As others so aptly ponted out, I ALSO didn't notice that Whizwaz's post was three years old. I'm sure he can find his way around just fine by now

My post was in no way related to anything you said.

And as for flying for fun, I think you're in excellent company. I fly mostly the slope soaring genre, but I do have a Hobie Hawk, an HLG and an e-glider as well, so I'm popping in and out of here often. I'm proud to be a newbie - even after 5 years of flying RC. That's probably why I only have two crunchies out of my seven planes - the rest are bouncy EPP.

There are always a bunch of great people here to chat with - some very experienced, and others less so, and others that ask a lot of annoying questions (that's me).

Welcome to RCGroups and Happy Flying ;-)

Webguyjv
Last edited by webguyjv; Sep 08, 2004 at 01:35 AM.

Quick Reply