Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 04, 2001, 10:03 AM

NIMH charge & discharge rate?

Hello All,

I just bought a supernova charger and need to charge some 720 mah NIMH 7 cell packs for my little hornet. Is 1C the max charge rate? What should I set the discharge rate at? Is the discharge rate a percentage of the MAH like 1C in the charge?

Best regards,

Marc Webster
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2001, 10:15 AM
Deep Sea

Charge Rate

Marc,
If you do a search on charge/discharge rates you will find lots of discussion on charging NiMH batteries specifically with the Supernova. You want to use manual mode which won't let you set the charge rate for higher than 1C, but after you start charging you can manually raise the rate to 2C and the batteries will peak out fine. This is the method I use for my 270 mah and 720 mah batteries and haven't had any problems. There are some great hints on using the Supernova at the following link:

http://personal.bellsouth.net/lig/r/e/redscho/nova.htm

Eric
Oct 04, 2001, 12:02 PM
Here's My 2

charge

Marc, I charge my 720's at 1.2 amps. They get slightly warm but not hot.

My understanding is that these batteries don't need the discharge as we do with nicads.
Last edited by Hitec-Redneck; Oct 04, 2001 at 12:05 PM.
Oct 05, 2001, 06:21 AM
IN FACT you will shorten the lifetime of the nimh of you discharge them. There is no need to.

kr
Armin
Oct 05, 2001, 08:25 AM
In fact you will shorten the lifetime of either NiMH OR NiCd by discharging. But discharging NiCds seems to be so deeply ingrained in some "collective wisdom" that it's almost impossible to convince people of that.

Stick to 1C or 1.5C max. for charging and don't bother discharging. Except perhaps from time to time to check the battery capacity is still good.

Steve

Quick Reply