Sep 12, 2019, 12:39 PM
For the wire stripper to work. I guess you would have to feed each strand into the machine individually. I may have to try the aspirin trick again. The one time I did it it didn't work very well. I had a coated variety of aspirin. I will try some regular Bayer type this time.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2019, 08:02 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
Aspirin does not work for all types of coating.
More suggestions in
Soldering Motor Wire - RCG

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Sep 13, 2019, 03:25 AM
jofro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeskiken
Can this wire stripper be use on multi strand motor wires ?
No, it won't work, for strand motor wires I normally unwind the strands some 20mm, and carefully strip the coating with sharp hobby knife, the open flame using jewl's mini torch and tiny wire brush is another option to clean it with, or good soak in Acetone works as well.
It is very important to remove all the coating for proper soldering job to get good current flow!
Sep 16, 2019, 09:15 PM
I tried heating the wires hot with my Hacko FS601 soldering iron but it didnít work.

I have not tried a propane torch. I was worried about damaging the wire insulation up past the bare wire. Itís just you also need to clean each strand after. I may have to try this.

The aspirin thing worked for me but the second time I tried it I had to repeat it a few times to get it to work.

I am tempted to try the caustic soda and salt. Heat it up and dip the wires in.

I want to have a better look at the motor when I get it and decide.
Sep 16, 2019, 09:19 PM
Has anyone tried Acetone ? How long do you soak it for ? This sounds like the best method.
Last edited by Freeskiken; Sep 17, 2019 at 07:41 AM.
Sep 17, 2019, 04:05 PM
flame and sand paper after works on multistrand. I don't know of any easy way to get all the residue off and takes some effort.
Sep 17, 2019, 08:26 PM
You think there would be some kind of acid that would work.
Sep 18, 2019, 11:54 AM
There are some commercial chemical brews that contain methyl chloride that are intended to remove the insulation on magnet wires but for the most part they are not available in most countries including the US due to health concerns from the fumes.

Most motor manufactures use a mechanical stripping machine that uses rotating fiberglass brush wheels to remove the insulation. A hot soldering iron won't touch the stuff---and a propane torch will not only cook the insulation but also leave a oxidized surface that solder won't stick too.

The solvents you have access like acetone to won't touch the insulation. There are some molten salt systems that work but they also have issues with post cleaning.

Your best bet is to sand or scrape the insulation---if you intend to do a lot of this then go find a insulation removal machine like this: https://www.eraser.com/products/wire...wire-stripper/ They show up on eBay from time to time at $100.

Steve
Sep 18, 2019, 02:05 PM
And You're Not
If you can swing it, a solder pot will burn the enamel off and tin the wires at the same time. It worked great when I was trying to solder some very small Litz wire, but I've never tried it on larger diameters.
Sep 18, 2019, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery
If you can swing it, a solder pot will burn the enamel off and tin the wires at the same time. It worked great when I was trying to solder some very small Litz wire, but I've never tried it on larger diameters.
Might work with nylon based "solderable insulation" but not on the good stuff.

Steve
Sep 25, 2019, 04:00 AM
jofro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeskiken
Has anyone tried Acetone ? How long do you soak it for ? This sounds like the best method.
Acetone or even the Thinner does the job on most of coating, but you still have to un-twine the stranded wires to clean it up properly, that's what I use on occasion, if it won't work in 10-15 min. of soak just heat it up with an open flame or scrape it off with pointy hobby knife.
Over the years I have even used various acids, like Nitric or made up "Dutch Mordant" that loves eating copper I used on my etching plates during my artist career. Sometimes you have to experiment to get the result.

Quick Reply