Sep 06, 2010, 05:49 PM
Retired for now
Thread OP
Discussion

Which wires go where?

Hey guys. I have a question for all you electronical geniuses out there.
On the Big Dog I have two JJC sound units for the "gas turbine " engines. Now in order for them to be proportional to the speed they have to be plugged into the throttle slot in the Rx. Now the ESC has to be plugged into the throttle slot too.
The sound units have white,red and black wires and the ESC has dark brown,red and light brown wires. (It's a Proboat ESC) So the question is which wire colors on the ESC match the wire colors on the sound unit?
If ya need a picture I'l post one. Pete
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2010, 06:04 PM
I am not familiar w/ Proboat, Norgale.

Best way is to Look to battery pack plug in line with servo if it takes one.
Center is red and is always positive,
Traditionally lightest wire is signal wire
Dark brown or black are usually negatives
Nobody every makes contacts like the old Airtronics anymore with everything
reversed

Here is nice reference for everything else:
\http://www.repairfaq.org/filipg/RC/F_Servos.html
Sep 06, 2010, 06:11 PM
Grumpa Tom
Pete, first you must use a "Y" harness and plug it into the Rx. Then the ESC and the JJC unit plugs into the two other ends of the Y-harness.

On your colors, the dark brown is the same as black; the light brown is the same as white.
Sep 06, 2010, 06:18 PM
Grumpa Tom
On your JJC unit green plug, the two connections on the left are for the speaker and the two on the right are for the battery power.
Sep 06, 2010, 07:17 PM
Retired for now
Thread OP
Ok thanks guys. I don't have any "Y" harnesses that have the right plug for my new 2.4 Rx so I'll have to solder the wires together. Only prob with that is the ESc will have to stay in that boat.
I wish all these stupid electronics companies would get together and standardize their plugs. I have four kinds of wires and none of them will fit each other. I'll be damned if I'll spend one more penny on any more of this crapola electronics. I'll just make my own and the hell with those jerks.
And ya want to know why the American model maker won't support American model mfgs. This is one good reason. Pete
Last edited by norgale; Sep 06, 2010 at 07:24 PM.
Sep 06, 2010, 08:12 PM
Grumpa Tom
Can you show a picture? It may simply be the tab that some connectors have, and you can just cut that off.

If you have any left over dead Rx chargers, or charging switches, you can cut the female plug off and then make your own Y-harness. That is what I just did for my 47' MLB.
Sep 07, 2010, 05:50 PM
Retired for now
Thread OP
Here are a couple of pictures of the wires I'm talking about. They all have to plug into the throttle slot on the Rx so I thought I would solder them all together with one plug. I will try and make a double "Y" harness before I do that though. That would be more gooder. Ha! Pete
Last edited by norgale; Sep 07, 2010 at 05:56 PM.
Sep 07, 2010, 08:21 PM
Grumpa Tom
Yeah, you have all male servo plugs. You need two female plugs to make a y-harness. You can often find the female plugs on wall wart chargers, Rx switch and charging cables too. Or you can buy them but I know that is your least desirable option right now.
Sep 08, 2010, 04:17 PM
Retired for now
Thread OP
Tried to order a couple of Y harnesses from Hobby People last night but the connection with their website was runninf very slow and wouldn't take my order. I hate to start cutting plugs off things but I may have to. Pete
Sep 08, 2010, 04:49 PM
Retired for now
Thread OP
Just tried Hobby People again and the order went through. Hope I ordered the right thing. Ha! Pete
Last edited by norgale; Sep 09, 2010 at 02:19 PM.
Sep 09, 2010, 06:12 PM
Remember if you let the smoke out of the wires you did something wrong.
From the photos it looks like you have futaba and hightec connectors .
Like Grumptom said the wires are just a differant color.
Just cut the extra tab off the side and it will all go together.

Quick Reply