Sep 06, 2010, 04:46 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Southerner 60 scaled to 72" span

I thought I would post a few photos of my new Southerner 72" span. Based on Vintage1's plan with reference to the Ben Buckle plan also.

To get the CG right I extended the nose 2" - I think the original had a longer nose ?? - and also put in a slightly more powerful motor than necessary.

Photos show the uncovered frame, then covered and finally a flying shot. The framework shot shows a 12" rule for size comparison

So far I have only had 4 flights - too windy these days. It flies nicely, but needs a lot of elevator in the turn to keep the nose up. I think it will fare better in lighter winds with a hint of thermals to save on battery power.

I was going to go for the polyhedral wing but I made a reasonable job of steaming the curved L/Edge and T/Edges, that I couldn't bear to cut the wings in half.

Essential statistics are -

Span 72" , weight 3.5 lbs, wing loading approx 12 oz/sq ft

motor - Emax BL 2820/07 - approx 400 watt motor - power to spare but the CG is right with the 2250 3S lipo loaded in thru the nose. I used Vintage1's battery hatch as access to servos and Rx.

Covered with doped polyester dress lining and tissue trim. The dress lining had a sheen finish which helped to keep the yellow strong with just a little transparency to show the framework

John
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2010, 05:25 PM
Really nice! Great colors against the sky.

Soft landings,

Joe
Sep 06, 2010, 06:16 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Beautiful, and Joe is right, the Southerner looks great in the air.

Scott
Sep 06, 2010, 08:19 PM
I don't mind losing a kit sale when someone turns out one like that.

Lovely job mate. Just watch wing drops in tight slow turns.

And keep the power on in the wind, when landing.
Sep 06, 2010, 08:38 PM
The dog ate my clearance
Nice work!
Sep 06, 2010, 08:48 PM
Excellent John, a work of art

Bill
Sep 07, 2010, 05:36 PM
If the winds blowin, I'm goin!
Absolutely stunning John..She's a keeper!!
Cash
Sep 08, 2010, 03:32 AM

covering material

Nice job! Could you give a few more details on the dress lining material : technique you used to apply, how much dope to seal, shrinkage factor, weight of material etc. Thanks
Sep 08, 2010, 07:28 AM
Very pretty! I'd better not let my wife see it, or I'll have to build her one!

CD
Sep 08, 2010, 07:47 AM
Dave Segal
What a lovely plane. I was immediately struck by its resemblance to the Sig Rascal.
Sep 08, 2010, 09:00 AM
Thread OP
thanks for all your complimentary comments I really appreciate them.

I have added a note re using polyester dress lining to the thread stared by Kimber which should answer any queries re use. material comes in a variety of weaves - the tighter the weave - the heavier - about 1.5 to 2oz / sq yd.

the yellow I used had a finish sheen on a tight weave which bumped the weight up to 2.2 oz/sq yd but on the other hand it only put 0.6 oz of dope for 3 coats of thinned dope on the wings. add to that the balsaloc used - about 40% of the small tub for the model.

I tried a test piece of very light thin weave but it took more coats to fill the pinholes in

John
Last edited by John38; Sep 08, 2010 at 02:06 PM.
Sep 09, 2010, 12:12 PM
AMA 964040
Wow, another beautiful airplane, John. I loved your purple and pink Mam'selle that you posted in Kimbers thread. So this is colored dress lining? No colored dope? The trim and letters are cut from this poly lining? This is definitely a much more economical option to model ariplane fabric coverings. I like the backwards "t" by the way. Adds character. Was that intentional?

I was also struck by this airplane's resemblance to the Sig Rascal, though I suppose, this design is probably where the idea for the Rascal came from, not the other way around.
Sep 09, 2010, 02:51 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Sorry to crash your thread John

The Rascal was a 50's sheet model:

http://www.parmodels.com/Plans/rascal18.pdf

Scott
Sep 09, 2010, 04:01 PM
Thread OP
Map,

material colours are as bought - selected for both tight weave and density of colour.
letters are cut from coloured model tissue and doped on. Dope had dried before I could correct the "t" and I wasn't going to use pure thinners on it in case it affected toe tightness of the covering.

Scot

feel free to crash anytime

not sure what history of Southerner was but it goes a long way back and construction has always been the crutch/rounded formers and stringers.

Vintage1,

tried for some more flying shots, but wind was across runway and as you pointed out, slow flying is not recommended with those elliptical wings.

crashed the plane twice, one on tarmac and apart from bent prop and UC, I just carried on flying (at a safer height) - demonstrating that a sound construction design and strong covering increases survivability.

John
Jan 20, 2012, 05:51 PM
Thread OP
Mike has recently put up a video of my Southerner flying which I thought might be of interest.

The elliptical wings with stright dihedral show up quite well

video here

Southerner (3 min 21 sec)

john

Quick Reply