CHDK and Firmware Version for Cannon Cameras ? - RC Groups
Sep 06, 2010, 06:25 AM
Stuart
Discussion

CHDK and Firmware Version for Cannon Cameras ?

I currently use an IXUS 70, I wrote my own interface for a PIC12F675 to use a RC channel to output USB pulses to control the camera via CHDK. I currently use the 4th channel (rudder) to select either 1 shot or 3, but I can choose from the CHDK script a list of 4 actions, depending on how far away from centre I move the stick.

I would like to switch to a camera with a much wider angle, it should become less critical to point the plane at what you want to take a photo of.

This IXUS200\SD980 camera has the equivalent of a 24mm wide angle in 35mm terms, so it would seem a good choice.

However how can I work out, before purchase, what version of the firmware is in the camera, it would not be worth purchasing without the ability to run CHDK ?

The IXUS 70 does OK, see piccy, an early morning shot of Walcot Hall in Shropshire.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2010, 06:39 AM
Hei!

Take empty SD card and make empty files in the top level folder of your SD card, one called ver.req and the other called vers.req
Go to Your local camerashop and ask to use/test camera.

1.Switch the camera in Play mode and start the camera.
Press and hold the "FUNC SET" and press "DISP" once.

It is standard procedure...

Best regards,
-Ilmar-
Sep 06, 2010, 10:40 AM
Stuart
Apparently that (standard) method does not work on this model.

However over at the CHDK Wiki, I found a comment that the exiftool utility will tell you if you run it on one of the saved JPGs.

For my IXUS 70, this line appears in the info that exiftool extracts;

Firmware Revision : 1.00 rev 3.00

This apparently means, Firmware 1.00c, which is indeed the firmware version on my IXUS 70.

So perhaps as you suggest a few 'test photos for comparison' are required.

Quick Reply