Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Old Sep 05, 2010, 01:03 PM
Find More Posts by icebear
Discussion

Canon S90 with CHDK - great AP cam!!!

Hi,

I just realized that my Canon S90 now has been hacked to use CHDK scripts to do timelapse, remote triggering etc.

Since the S90 in my opinion is a great compromise between size, manual settings, lens etc, I have been really anxious to test it but didn't manage to set it up for servo triggering until the CHDK version for it arrived.

Here are a few examples. I set it to take pictures every 3 secs with Shutter priority, 1/1000s, EV comp -1/3 and auto focus. Seems to be a good setting to start with!

I am really pleased with this camera and even my 24 oz Ferias (40" wingspan!) has no problems lifting the camera. SO - good bye Pentax S10...

Enjoy!

/Bjorn
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2010, 10:19 PM
Find More Posts by ZackJones
It's just a plane.
Those are some great shots. How about posting one of your AV plane.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 01:20 AM
Find More Posts by guyg
Fantastic AP
Well done== cool
Guy
Old Sep 06, 2010, 02:41 AM
Find More Posts by paulrene
Happy landings
That looks promising. Could you please make a raw file available for download? Maybe attached to the post in a zip-file if possible?
Old Sep 06, 2010, 12:17 PM
Find More Posts by zakstang
i still have to get mine in the air....ugh....gotta modify my camera mount
Old Sep 06, 2010, 01:26 PM
Find More Posts by spacecase
Can't wait to see more shots. That camera is the best IMO with all manual control and CHDK. I just got a pentax a30 and am loving it, would have gone for the s90 if not for the$$$. Any chance you will shoot the bridge between Malmo and Denmark? (My cousin was an engineer on it, lives in Malmo).
Old Sep 06, 2010, 02:09 PM

Some more examples of the S90

Hi again,

Thanks for your comments! Must say I really like this camera already...

@ZackJones - here are some pics of this AP plane - Kyosho Ferias (still the one I use the most thanks to its small size and ability to carry weight and fly in high winds)

@Guy - thanks! Here's one more beach shot since you post so nice beachshots!

@paulrene; Oops! I deleted the RAW files since I don't have a viewer for RAW -BUT I can of course send you the Jpeg if you are interested - just PM or email me and address and I'll post a jpg

@spacecase: I totally agree. Really like the ability to use shutter priority etc and I can imagine the A30 is great too. I had an A20 but eventually sold it when I got the S10 which was a little bit lighter. I think the S90 wins because of the nice wide angle and IMO better optics

Finally, here are a few more photos too...

/Bjorn
Old Sep 06, 2010, 04:05 PM
..and Spacecase... Here's a pic of the bridge - taken from an Airbus 330 last week :-) Interesting that you have a cousin 1hr from here!

I have a friend in Malmoe that has taken great shots of the bridge with his Quad and an LX3 - I'll see if I can get him to post here...

/Björn
Old Sep 06, 2010, 04:18 PM
Find More Posts by ZackJones
It's just a plane.
@icebear: I looked up the plane -- seems it's no longer being built. Oh well. Great shots you're getting with it.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 10:57 PM
Find More Posts by spacecase
Too bad they didn't finish the bridge
Old Sep 07, 2010, 04:12 PM
Zack: Yes, sorry they discontinued them a few years ago. I have been lucky to source a few second hand so I have a few backups. Maybe you can get them second hand in the US too?

SpaceCase: Yeah, it's a bummer just ending up on that stupid island every time...
Old Sep 07, 2010, 04:20 PM
Find More Posts by SkyEyes
Multi Rotors Rule ! ;-)
Great shots, but I must say, I'm not surprised you are getting great pictures (AP or on the ground) as the Canon S90 is £300 ($460)!! Hardly a cheap purchase.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 06:16 PM
Find More Posts by Joffa_Dan
Crash land!
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear View Post
SpaceCase: Yeah, it's a bummer just ending up on that stupid island every time...
Nice pics icebear!
I realise this may be an "inside joke", and I may sound silly asking, but for all of us that don't know about that bridge, why the heck is there seriously a massive bridge that goes to a tiny little island with nothing on it? I know there will be a good reason for it, curiosity has just gotten the better of me and I had to ask...
Old Sep 08, 2010, 11:13 AM
Find More Posts by Bent Larsen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffa_Dan View Post
Nice pics icebear!
I realise this may be an "inside joke", and I may sound silly asking, but for all of us that don't know about that bridge, why the heck is there seriously a massive bridge that goes to a tiny little island with nothing on it? I know there will be a good reason for it, curiosity has just gotten the better of me and I had to ask...
On that tiny little island there is a huge hole where the cars transfers to submarines!

regards Bent
Old Sep 09, 2010, 05:35 AM
Quote:
Nice pics icebear!
You are right - it's a joke of course. When building the bridge between Sweden and Denmark in 1999-2000 they could not have the giant sea crane "Svanen" operating close to the airport Kastrup on the mainland. Therefore the last 4 kilometers where put in a tunnel under the water and the island where the cars go under ground is what you see in the picture.

Quote:
Great shots, but I must say, I'm not surprised you are getting great pictures (AP or on the ground) as the Canon S90 is £300 ($460)!! Hardly a cheap purchase.
Thanks! You are of course right. It is a pricey camera but comparing to $200 cams which I have used quite a few during the last five years it feels like a good investment. My Pentax Optio S4 /4MP cam cost me $400 in 2003 and for the same money we now have the S90 which in my opinion is the best compination of size/weight in the "compact" range. Possibly the LX3 is a little bit better but there you dont have the CHDK properties and it is A LOT heavier.

Cheers,

Björn