This thread is privately moderated by SteveM732, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 03, 2010, 02:46 AM
Discussion

iCharger 208B charger review

I have written a review of the iCharger 208B charger, it is posted here.

If after reading it you may comment by posting a reply to this blog entry. I am interested to hear about what you did or did not like and what could have been explained more clearly.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 03, 2010, 02:16 PM
3d NOOBular
I thought it was very informative and thorough. I think it is a must-read for anyone purchasing that charger. Mostly I think it's great that you unmasked some pitfalls and showed solutions for them. Great Review!

-Nate
Sep 03, 2010, 03:24 PM
Good review. I've got one of these units and quite like it. I've got a new 3 cell 1000mah battery that has gone quite low in voltage and I can't get the iCharger to even try, it keeps complaining about cell voltage too low. Do you know how to disable this check temporarily?
Sep 22, 2010, 09:10 AM
Hey Steve,

Just an amazing job !!! congratulations for a superb work... I really like the review... Its really well structured.. the flow is quite logical... I am sure you must have taken pains to do this review. I like your disclaimer and way you have suggested the positives and the negatives.

However, I wanted to know if you checked the accuracy post calibration or just like you received it...

I would request you to please calibrate the balance ports, main port, temp port with your fluke meter. (I use 115) and check the consistency at variuos voltages as well.

All the very best and keep up the great work. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Cheers !!!
Saurabh.
Sep 22, 2010, 09:55 AM
I have not attempted to calibrate it as that feature wasn't around when I purchased my 208B. If it turns out that my current firmware can support calibration then I may attempt to do so, but I found it accurate enough that I don't see the point.

Your suggestion to take more data points is good, if only I can find the time.
Sep 22, 2010, 11:43 AM
You may want to upgrade your firmware to 3.13f this is the final release and not a beta anymore. you will be able to calibrate the balance ports and the main port. please take more data points at different voltages.
Sep 22, 2010, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromodellers
You may want to upgrade your firmware to 3.13f this is the final release and not a beta anymore. you will be able to calibrate the balance ports and the main port. please take more data points at different voltages.
According to the iCharger thread the calibration capability was added in 3.09 and 3.13f is still beta. This means I could try to calibrate my charger, but with a worst case voltage error of 0.12% why in the blue blazes would I want to?
Sep 22, 2010, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM732
According to the iCharger thread the calibration capability was added in 3.09 and 3.13f is still beta. This means I could try to calibrate my charger, but with a worst case voltage error of 0.12% why in the blue blazes would I want to?
I have confirmed from Junsi, 3.13f was beta but not anymore. they are calling it as final release now, however, they have not announced it publically. You may want to check with Junsi at harrief111@hotmail.com

I am aware this functionality was added later... how did you arrive at 0.12% ?
Calibrating your charger was just a suggestion in order to make best use of the accuracy of the charger. However, if you are not comfortable, thats fine by me.
Sep 23, 2010, 12:02 AM
Quote:
how did you arrive at 0.12% ?
I take it you didn't read the review before posting your advice.

Quote:
Calibrating your charger was just a suggestion in order to make best use of the accuracy of the charger. However, if you are not comfortable, thats fine by me.
I am very comfortable with the calibration process, but I don't see any advantage to be gained considering how accurate my 208B is already.
Sep 30, 2010, 06:10 AM
Have you tried calibrating the current on this charger? I heard it is possible but not sure how to go about it.. any idea ?

btw i have read your review completly and appreciate your efforts. i understand that 0.12% is the deviation that you are referring to wrt your DMM.

Also, have you tried the discharge+ program? if yes could you please post your results and the load used. There are many inputs on this on the original forum, but it get more confusing. I understand that light bulbs cannot be used as external load as the resistance varies drastically. Any thoughts ?
Jan 07, 2011, 12:25 AM
How long have you had the charger? How much use has it seen? Have you done any new tests to verify it's performance hasn't changed after some use?

Thanks
Dec 16, 2014, 10:20 AM

iCharger 208B

Can you update your review to reflect the changes and improvements made to date?
Thank you,
Bill Smith