This thread is privately moderated by craig_c, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 09, 2010, 12:11 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
Thread OP
Hey Pete here's a quick hack... grab em.

I'll delete after you switch 'em
Last edited by craig_c; Sep 11, 2010 at 07:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2010, 11:29 AM
A little info, the Miss Ann pictured above had her bow modified by an owner. Her original bow was much more blunt.
Sep 09, 2010, 11:39 AM
Super cool project Pete. Here are a couple of my favorite old yachts.
Sep 09, 2010, 12:27 PM

Deerleap

I used to go to Long Beach Marina and drool at Deerleap, here's her website:

http://www.mvdeerleap.com/

She's got the fantail, bow shape and cabin structure that embody the styling that fascinate me. I ride a 1948 Indian Chief m/c, love Stinson Reliant aircraft and have always been fascinated by 20's and 30's styling. Born too late to see or ride in a dirigible.
Last edited by E-Challenged; Sep 12, 2010 at 01:05 PM.
Sep 09, 2010, 01:04 PM
Retired for now
Predreadnut those are great pictures. Certainly a lot of good design material for any model. Thanks for posting. Pete
Last edited by norgale; Sep 10, 2010 at 06:17 PM.
Sep 09, 2010, 01:14 PM
Retired for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers1940
Like you, Pete, I like the covered fantail on the model in the second picture. It really adds to the yachtlike look of the model. Looking forward to this next build of yours. Any idea of what scale or size she'll be?
1/4" = 1 foot and will be right at 30",twin screw with a diesel sound so far.
Sep 09, 2010, 01:50 PM
Retired for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
I used to go to Long Beach Marina and drool at Deerleap, here's her website:

http://www.mvdeerleap.com/

She's got the fantail, bow shape and cabin structure that embody the styling that fascinate me. I ride a 1948 Indian Chief m/c, love Stinson Reliant aircraft and have always been fascinated by 20's and 30's styling. Born too late to see or ride in a dirigible.
E-challanged thats a really nice boat. The Deerleap is just the sort of boat I'd like to have for myself. Man the Navy sure knew how to mess up a nice yacht. Glad to see that it's back to original now. Pete
Sep 09, 2010, 02:40 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodybob
$10,500!?
Sep 09, 2010, 08:02 PM
Retired for now
You look at some of the prices at that dealer and you'll see some really outrageous money for some boats. He has always been pretty high priced. Pete
Sep 09, 2010, 08:43 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale
You look at some of the prices at that dealer and you'll see some really outrageous money for some boats. He has always been pretty high priced. Pete
oh I'm sure! he even states that the entire thing needs to be scraped and rebuilt holding onto the fittings and one bulkhead with the serial number or something..

poor boat looks like it was pulled out from the bottom of a swamp somewhere! id be surprised if he had a legitimate tittle sell it! that's..that right there is drift wood! lol!
I can go down to the Richmond yacht basin and claim any number of decent boats right now for little more than the arrears dock fee!

mien gott! the man is selling a ratty trailer and a serial number for around 0.5 of what it would cost me to commission and build a real steam launch!
Sep 10, 2010, 06:42 AM
Retired for now
This would be a good place for any of you to post your favorite old boat pictures. They would always be great for reference especially to superstructures. I'm still looking for some bottom pics of any old yachts to get an idea how they were built below the water line. Pete
Last edited by norgale; Sep 12, 2010 at 01:43 PM.
Sep 12, 2010, 02:00 PM
Retired for now
I found one picture that gives some idea how an old yacht looks below the water line. This picture is posted by Predreadnut and it shows the bottom pretty well. Need some more views though. Pete
Sep 12, 2010, 11:59 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
Thread OP
Sept 12 -
Added some new Woodie links to the Links lists.
Started a new Showcase / Show and Tell Thread.
Made a couple of additions to the Housekeeping posts.

Sep 15, 2010, 09:21 PM
Retired for now
I think this thread should be made a "sticky" so it doesn't get sucked up in the whirlpool of old threads and disappear. Craig has gone to a lot of trouble to gather all this info into one place and there IS a lot of info here that is extremely useful to those of us who like building the old Woodie boats.
There is a ton of info out there that still has to be added to this thread and another ton of pictures that will eventually come to light that will be important to future Woodie builders.
Every year that goes by these yachts become more obscure and the information about them tends to slowly disappear. This thread will go a long way towards preserving this information and will be useful to book writers, researchers as well as modelers. It's already full of documentation on several of the "good old boats" and is bound to accumulate much more.
We need a place to save all this documentation and a sticky would be ideal for that purpose.
So in the interest of restoring the real boats and that of model makers in general I would like to request that the sticky be authorized by the administrators for the benefit of the hobby in general and the old Woodie yachts in particular.
So what needs to be done? Pete
Last edited by norgale; Sep 16, 2010 at 08:41 AM.
Sep 18, 2010, 05:52 AM
Retired for now
Yeeeaaa! WE got our sticky. Now we won't have to search all over the place to find it. Good work Craig. Pete

Quick Reply