Jul 06, 2011, 09:29 AM
Thank god I started saving and did not order the Hobbyking BIxler as a tow plane yet - I think I might use the fox as "plane to do stupid stuff", such as throwing toilet down from 100m ;D
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2011, 04:04 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
There is a gyro thread here on RCG did you know?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1035605
I have used before:
One gyro, Y cable, 2 servos
2 servos on 2 different channels with flapperons and 1 gyro connected to one of the servos.
2 servos on 2 different channels with flapperons, 2 gyros one on each servo. Gain wires connected via Y harness to Gear channel for control

When it gets really windy, I won't be flying the glider but I will fly a 30 something inch foamie with 3 gyros.

I pretty much use Rate mode only for wind stabilization on aileron or rudder help on take off.
Jul 07, 2011, 01:38 AM
Thats a good read Melnic. I will be testing the single gyro on flapperon setup this weekend I think, although i am tempted to put it on elevator to control sink rate rather than stabilisation. I have a tendancy to let it dive for longer/faster than intended when i'm flying FPV, plus if i am understanding it correctly, it will factor a bit of trim difference (power on vs power off) out of it

If I could find my head lock gyro, i would throw that on too, but its buried in the parts drawer.
Jul 07, 2011, 06:53 PM
HellBentPuppet
Messing around with a keychain camera today.

You can see how effective the spoilerons are upon landing, just sets ya right down.
Fox Glider (3 min 11 sec)
Jul 09, 2011, 11:27 AM
Received my new wings with only slight damage to the tips
They have added C/F to the ailerons back near the hinge, I think it's for hinge reinforcement, they will still need the strips on the trailing edge.

Kerry

EDIT: The C/F may be there because the servos are mounted at about 1/3 out on the aileron. Previously I had V1 wings and installed the servos at the mid point on the aileron.
Last edited by Helitime; Jul 09, 2011 at 12:45 PM.
Jul 10, 2011, 01:57 AM
I love FPV!
Helitime, when my wings pitch, would it be worth adding any strength to the ailerons, or are the OK stock?

Also, guys. I am new to gliders... but to reduce adverse yaw, which I believe is more apparent in gliders than shorter winged planes, I believe 'differential' is used. Would that be recommended? And am I right in saying that all that is, is to limit the down throw on the ailerons. So, a hard right hand bank would result in the left aileron going full down, and the right aileron maybe a few degrees up, but not full up?

And how would this be effected by using 'spoilethons' to reduce landing speed? When I flick that switch, both ailerons would go up maybe 50% throw? And then when I try bank the same way (hard right hand bank), the left aileron would maybe go flat, leaving the right one up?
Jul 10, 2011, 11:48 AM
Hi Cralis: Not quite on the differential. The up aileron is on the inside of the turn where you want more drag to help turn the plane. Diff. ailerons reduce the down throw on the outside of the turn, so less drag, creating less adverse yaw. Spoileron/flaperon will still work as will the ailerons when spoilerons are engaged.

Your example "a hard right bank" would have the right ail. full up and the left ail. partially down. You can also mix in a little rudder in the same direction as the turn to reduce adverse yaw.

Adding C/F to the ailerons will make them much more effective. Stock is fine for crusing around (rolls are very slow) but if you want to fly aerobatics they need to be stiffer.

P.S. No mater what your skill level is you will want to fly aerobatics with this plane just cuz it flys so easy

Hope this helps
Kerry>>>> I'm goin flyin for the REST of the day.
Jul 10, 2011, 07:02 PM
Great Southern Land
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime
I'm goin flyin for the REST of the day.
Good on you Kerry-enjoy your day!!

Kev
Jul 11, 2011, 03:06 AM
I love FPV!
Kerry, thanks. That makes total sense. I just need the Damn plane to arrive, so can play.
Jul 12, 2011, 02:40 AM
I love FPV!
OK, my plane is somewhere between somewhere in China, and the HK warehouse in Hong Kong. From there it will be shipped to me here in Australia. Soooo... not expecting it for a while.

In the mean time, I am playing with my radio (Futaba 9C), and the idea of Spoilerons is appealing. However, I don't see the option on my radio. I have the option for Flaperon, but no Spoileron. Could someone maybe guide me though how I would use this, and at the same time, make use of aileron differential to assist with the adverse yaw story....

But I am bamboozelled. So, any assistance would be amazing. I have just realised that this isn't a FOX related question though... so, maybe I should start a new thread elswhere?
Jul 12, 2011, 06:02 AM
Gravity impaired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis
OK, my plane is somewhere between somewhere in China, and the HK warehouse in Hong Kong. From there it will be shipped to me here in Australia. Soooo... not expecting it for a while.

In the mean time, I am playing with my radio (Futaba 9C), and the idea of Spoilerons is appealing. However, I don't see the option on my radio. I have the option for Flaperon, but no Spoileron. Could someone maybe guide me though how I would use this, and at the same time, make use of aileron differential to assist with the adverse yaw story....

But I am bamboozelled. So, any assistance would be amazing. I have just realised that this isn't a FOX related question though... so, maybe I should start a new thread elswhere?
Seems to me that spoilerons are just flaperons that go up instead of down.
Jul 12, 2011, 06:42 AM
Cralis: "jrjr" is correct, you will use travel adjust in the negative numbers. Aileron dif. will still work.
I don't think you need a new thread for every question, unless you need reams of info on a subject, just fire away here. Most are here to help

Kerry
Jul 12, 2011, 05:10 PM
Yeah Cralis, everyone is correct. Spoilerons are flaperons, it's just the way you set them up with travel that alters it.

To set spoilerons, select flaperons mix. When tour adjusting the mix for the travel of the flaps, just set it up so they go up instead of down.

That's spoilerons. Sounds more technical than it is
Jul 12, 2011, 09:11 PM
I love FPV!
Thanks all!

On my Futaba 9C, I see that I have each aileron with a % value... So I will change those.. However, I can either activate, or deactive the mix. I can't seem to assign a switch or slider/knob to Flaperons.... I was thinking I would select a switch as a flap switch, and then assign that to the 'flaperons/spolierons'. I'll have to hunt down how to deploy them... Unless it's somehow linked to my throttle? How throttle deploys them? I'll hunt about.
Jul 12, 2011, 09:20 PM
Nah mate, not linked to throttle. You'll have to assign the switch on that remote. Page 70 of the manual. Here's the link to the instructions

http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/9c-manual-v1_2.pdf

Quick Reply